MOTU896HD doesn't work with my macbook pro (PROBLEM SOLVED)

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
danielarason
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

MOTU896HD doesn't work with my macbook pro (PROBLEM SOLVED)

Post by danielarason »

Hello.

I just purchased a MOTU896HD and hooked it up with my macbook pro running Cubase4.
I can choose the MOTU as an ASIO driver in Cubase and set up a bus, but no signal seems to be coming from the 896 into the computer.

Also, I don't hear anything in the headphones, even if the level meters indicate that signal is coming in (from the mic). Shouldn't I be able to hear the signal coming from the mic even if it isn't going into the computer.

I live in Iceland, and we have a 240V electric current here, but purchased the 896 in USA where the current is 110V. I accidentally plugged it in before switching it over to 240V and the fuse burnt over. I had the fuse changed and the unit turned on and is now running. Is it possible that something inside could be damaged and that's why I don't get a sound?

All suggestions on what might be wrong will be well received.

Thanks, Daniel Arason, Iceland
Last edited by danielarason on Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dwetmaster
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Dwetmaster »

Make sure everything is patched and unmuted well in cuemix...
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
danielarason

Post by danielarason »

(I don't know what happened, there was a reply here by someone called Steven (am I right?) and I replied to that but now it seems to have mysteriously vanished. )

I forgot to mention that I got an installation CD with the 896 and on it were the drivers and a program called AudioDesk 2.0. When I tried to install the drivers, the Console and AudioDesk all together I got an error. It was like this:
"Error creating file
1008:5, -35 Drive not found".

And I could only install the drivers separately (I have since gone to motu.com and gotten the latest drivers so I think that should not be the problem).

I am using a 2,33 GHz MacBook Pro with 2GB RAM and OS 10.4.9. The 896 is connected via FireWire
danielarason

Post by danielarason »

Could you be a little more specific about the CueMix.

I am currently at work and can't run Cue Mix without the 896 connected, but last night it seemed that Cubase and Cue Mix were not good friends since they refused to both run at the same time.

I think I will uninstall everything from Motu and start from scratch, but please inform me more about the cue mix, I had kind of figured that it was some sort of link between 896 and Cubase.
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

1st of all, make sure you got all the latest drviers.
2nd, DON'T install audiodesk as it's not for IntelMacs
3rd your mic's channel needs to be unmuted on your cuemix mixer. I'm not too sure how Cubase handle monitoring so you probably have to cue mix for live monitoring.

Also is Itunes playing? if not make sure the 896 is selected as the main out in sound preference pane.

Did you try to record without being able to hear? That could be an indication fo where your problem.
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
danielarason

Post by danielarason »

When I chose 896 in sound preferences, Itunes din't even play (I don't mean didn't make a sound, it didn't play at all)

And I tried recording, but no signal came in.
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

danielarason wrote:When I chose 896 in sound preferences, Itunes din't even play (I don't mean didn't make a sound, it didn't play at all)

And I tried recording, but no signal came in.
YOU NEED THE VERY LATEST DRIVERS FROM MOTU -- Download them at www.motu.com

This is the one you need:
MOTU Universal Audio Install- OSX
File Name: MOTU_Audio_Installer.zip
Type: driver
Date: 2007/02/14
Language: english
Version: 1.4.3
Size: 20.49MB
Platform: Mac OSX

*****DO NOT INSTALL AUDIODESK IT IS NOT FOR INTEL MACBOOKS*****

Sorry to yell but somebody else said this and you did not seem to hear them.

Also have you read your manual about setting up the 896HD? (cabling, OS X Audio/MIDI Setup application, etc)

---

P.S. Here is a description on CUEMIX DSP -- there is more in your manual:

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/ ... ixdsp.html

--
danielarason

Post by danielarason »

Thanks. I have these drivers, downloaded them from motu

And I heard the one about the AudioDesk, but thanks anyway.

I admit I haven't read the manual carefully, though I have looked it over but I thought I could try this forum first. I will look into this matter more carefully
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

danielarason wrote:Thanks. I have these drivers, downloaded them from motu
OK please let us know -- I am worried about you --

I do not have an 896 but I do remember from my 828mkII manual there is much information about setting up the cabling, the OS X, and I think even the CUBASE as well in the manual.

Hoping for the best for you!
--
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

So if I understand correctly, Itune will play if you choose built in audio but It won't if you choose the 896HD? that's a WEIRD one... What about cuemix? does it allow the 896 to work by itself? Did you tried connecting anything else on your FW bus? Does it work?
danielarason

Post by danielarason »

Yes that's right, Itunes palys only when I choose built in audio, and I have used the Firewore port with my video camera and it worked fine.

I phoned my Cubase dealer and they told me how I should configure Cubase but nothing still worked. Now I am trying to make things work on my friends PC.

What do you mean about CueMix? I think that is only used for creating mixes, f.x. monitor mixes and such.
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

danielarason wrote:What do you mean about CueMix? I think that is only used for creating mixes, f.x. monitor mixes and such.
Daniel if cuemix works then we know your 896 works.

We are trying to narrow things down and troubleshoot.

So.

Does Cuemix work?

---

P.S. Where did you buy your 896HD? Can they help you?

--
danielarason

Post by danielarason »

(I re-installed my OSX in the macbook, re-installed Cubase and the drivers for 896, still nothing worked)

Like I said before (I think) CueMix and Cubase do not run together. If I run CueMix then I cannot run Cubase and vice-versa.
If I run CueMix first, I get all the faders in the lowest position (I can move them of course) and all the tracks are panned hard left. The output fader is disabled (that is, I can not choose the outputs, only move the fader).

Is there some way of knowing if CueMix works (I know that it runs, but really don't know if it is working, if you know what I mean)

I have contacted both motu tech support and the shop (www.jrrshop.com) about this, am waiting for answers
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

danielarason wrote:If I run CueMix first, I get all the faders in the lowest position (I can move them of course) and all the tracks are panned hard left. The output fader is disabled (that is, I can not choose the outputs, only move the fader)
It does not sound right to me that you cannot choose an output.

It seems you are in the US or Canada --

If I were you I would not waste time emailing MOTU (it takes them a while to get back, this sounds like a problem best resolved with immediate interaction rather than delayed interaction of email)

So I would try calling them.

It is my experience that the best time to call is first thing in the morning when they open up. After that the lines get very busy.

Voice: 617 576 3066 (9am-6pm, Eastern, M-F)

Please keep us posted
---
danielarason

Post by danielarason »

I'm in Iceland.

I will post here if I get this fixed.

Thanks,
Daniel