Please help with sample accurate transfers using 2408 mk3.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
carjack
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Please help with sample accurate transfers using 2408 mk3.

Post by carjack »

Problem: AudioDesk won't go into record when attempting a sample acurate transfer from two DA-38's.

Goal: Achieve sample accurate transfers from DA-38s.

System: PowerMac G5 Dual 2.7 GHz with 3 GB RAM, 2408 mk3 with PCI-424, Digital Timepiece, DA-38s, AudioDesk 2.04, M-Audio MIDIsport 2x2

Configuration: Digital Timepiece set for internal at 48 khz with Tascam sync out into 1st DA-38 and ADAT sync out into PCI-424 card. 1st DA-38 (ID #1)sync out to 2nd DA-38 (ID #2) sync in. 2nd DA-38 sync out properly terminated. MIDIsport 2x2 connected to MIDI in and out of Digital Timepiece and to Macintosh USB port. Both DA-38 Digital I/O connected to bank B & C of 2408 mk3. AudioDesk set to recieve sample accurate sync. AudioDesk clock source set for PCI-424 ADAT.

In other words my setup is exactly as described on page 40 the PCI-424 Macintosh Manual.

Screen shots and photos of my setup can be found here:

http://web.mac.com/jcluffmac/iWeb/Site/MOTU.html

What happens: When i hit record in AudioDesk the DA-38s roll and AudioDesk's input monitor shows meter deflection of incoming digital audio, but AudioDesk doesn't actually go into record. When i set AudioDesk to not recieve sync it will record the audio but without sample accurate sync.

My Theory: AudioDesk is not recieving the ADAT sync thereby preventing it from going into record.

Frustration: $1000 in expenses + 1 week of personal troubleshooting + 3 e-mails and 3 phone calls to MOTU tech support = no solution.

Solution: I haven't got a clue. Does anyone out there have an idea?
Pappy725
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Pappy725 »

Are your tracks record enabled? Thats the only thing I see you didn't mention...

Not trying to be a smartass....

but I have made simple mistakes like that before.
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)
2.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, OS High Sierra 10.13.2, DP8.07, 256GB SSD
828mkII, 8Pre, Alesis M1 Active Mk2, Ext. FW drives, Yamaha fretless bass, Kay upright bass, Wechter acoustic/electric, trombone, baritone and a proclivity for polka music. (With sufficient quantities of beer) and I play country music.
carjack

Post by carjack »

yep. tracks are record enabled.
themagichoof

Re: Please help with sample accurate transfers using 2408 mk

Post by themagichoof »

This is a way old thread but I'm facing the same problem, albeit with a slightly different setup. I'm slaving the Digital Timepiece to some DA-38s but when I hit Play on my 38, Digital Performer won't start playing/recording.

I hooked up an ADAT machine from its Sync Out port directly to the 324 card and what do you know? Everything works 100% when I hit Play on the ADAT. Digital Performer moves along and plays/records normally. When I run the same setup but with a DA-38 and a Digital Timepiece, there's absolutely nothing that can get Performer (or Cubase!) to go into Play/Record mode when hitting Play on the DA-38. I tried three different DA-38s by the way.

MOTU suspected it was a bad Digital Timepiece so I bought a brand new one off of Ebay still in the box. I just got it today and it didn't help a single bit. MOTU can't replicate the problem and say that when I hit Play on the 38, there should be absolutely no difference between doing that and the ADAT -> 324 rig I mentioned. They should both make Performer/Cubase play back.

I'm out of ideas, and out of money too.
TinenTech
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by TinenTech »

There are three different issues here, that are obscured by the way modular digital tape machines worked. These are:

1. Machine control (transport commands)
2. Machine location (e.g., time code, which in MDMs is how many samples from the beginning of the tape, not SMPTE), and
3. Word clock

Of these three, when you run into trouble, only word clock is essential to getting a transfer into a DAW. Time code is only important if you have more tapes to transfer than you have decks (e.g., a single DA-38 and 3 tapes from a 24-track setup). Machine control is a "nice-to-have".

Try clocking your interface from the TDIF (or ADAT) word clock, put DP into record and manually start the DA-38 (or ADAT). If you don't hear any clicks, at least you've got word clock and can get your tracks into DP and massage them there.

A check of the TASCAM site might reveal some change in their firmware or control system that screwed up control of DA-88s/38s from a Digital Timepiece.

That's my guess, as a former Alesis/Tascam employee.
MacBook Pro 9,1 (mid-2012 Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB RAM), OSX 10.11.3, Newertech Voyager SATA drive dock
MOTU: DP 9.02, Traveler Mk 1, 896 MkIII Hybrid, MIDI Express XT
Alesis AI3 optical interface, QS8, QS7, DM Pro, DM5, QSR
Mackie Controller and Extender (original MIDI)
Pro Tools 12
themagichoof

Post by themagichoof »

I think you were talking to the OP, but I'm unclear on whether TDIF carries a wordclock signal or not. I believe it was only certain late DA-xx machines from the DA-38 up at least. My interface can't lock to it if so though (2408).