Connecting 828 mkII USB to USB-C

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
motuJoe42
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Connecting 828 mkII USB to USB-C

Post by motuJoe42 »

Hello,
I'm trying to connect my old 828 mkII USB to my new MacBook Pro which has only USB-C Inputs. I use the USB-C to USB Adapter from Apple. I installed the 828 mkII driver from the motu website, but the device will not be recognized, neither in the sound system settings nor in Garage Band or Motu Audio Setup. Has anyone an idea or some experience with that issue?
Thanks a lot.
mikehalloran

Re: Connecting 828 mkII USB to USB-C

Post by mikehalloran »

Your device connects over USB 1.1. All older MOTU USB units do. I do not know that this is the issue but it could be. If the apple adapter does not support 1.1, this would be my guess.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

mikehalloran wrote:Your device connects over USB 1.1. All older MOTU USB units do. I do not know that this is the issue but it could be. If the apple adapter does not support 1.1, this would be my guess.
MIke, the 828mkII a USB 2 device. USB 1 doesn't support as much i/o as the 828 provides. USB C should provide USB 2 functionality. This said, I don't know why the OP's setup isn't working.

MOTUJoe, if you have another computer with USB 2 available, you might try it with the 828 to rule out 828 failure.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

HCMarkus wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:Your device connects over USB 1.1. All older MOTU USB units do. I do not know that this is the issue but it could be. If the apple adapter does not support 1.1, this would be my guess.
MIke, the 828mkII a USB 2 device. USB 1 doesn't support as much i/o as the 828 provides. USB C should provide USB 2 functionality. This said, I don't know why the OP's setup isn't working.

MOTUJoe, if you have another computer with USB 2 available, you might try it with the 828 to rule out 828 failure.
It may be forwards compatible to USB 2 but it runs at 1.1. I'm pretty sure I remember a number of old threads on this issue—and how it was not really an issue back then. Perhaps it is now—in an airport in Nashville on my phone, I won't be researching it.

In any case, I tried to be clear that I'm guessing if this is the compatible issue. How new is an 828mkII USB? It was discontinued before the FW version that was superceded in 2007. There was no 828mkIII USB till the Hybrid a few years later.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

USB 1.0 January 1996 Full Speed (12 Mbit/s)
USB 1.1 August 1998 Full Speed (12 Mbit/s)
USB 2.0 April 2000 High Speed (480 Mbit/s)
USB 3.0 November 2008 SuperSpeed (5 Gbit/s)

I thought Full Speed could carry at the most 2 channels of simultaneous audio i/o.

Pretty positive the 828mkii USB interface was USB 2.0. The Interweb says it was a released in late 2005.
motuJoe42

Post by motuJoe42 »

HCMarkus wrote:
mikehalloran wrote: MOTUJoe, if you have another computer with USB 2 available, you might try it with the 828 to rule out 828 failure.
The 828 worked with several Mac and Windows Computer.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

OK, so you've ruled out an issue with the 828.

Does the adaptor work with other USB devices, in particular one that passes data, like a hard drive? Once you have confirmed that it does, a call to Apple and/or MOTU might be a good approach. Cleaning the contacts on the device and ports with Caig DeOxit could be a good idea, too.

I found this in Ratings and Reviews for the Apple Adaptor you are using:
Works....sometimes
Works when I plug in my USB receiver for an external mouse. Will not read a USB flash drive so pretty worthless for any type of data transfer.
This suggests the adaptor may be the problem. There are various other devices available. Reviews for this one suggest it may work for you:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Typ ... ms?ie=UTF8

There are also a ton of small USB C to USB A adaptors, like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Rankie-2-Pack-Ad ... op?ie=UTF8

or cables:

https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation-Pr ... to+b+cable

I note that experiences with these types of adaptors appear to vary wildly; some report no issues, some giving glowing reviews, but a troubling many report functional failures. This is not rocket science, and the lack of consistently good reports is strange; theoretically, the adaptor should simply pass-thru the proper pins from the USB C port and all should be good to go. Watch out for non-compliant and counterfeit cables.
One port, one cable, no fuss

Type-C USB and USB 3.1 are backward-compatible with USB 3.0 and USB 2.0. In a pure Type-C USB connection, the Type-A ports and plugs are no longer included. However, you'll find compatible Type A-to-Type C cables. On top of that, there will be adapters to make Type C hosts and devices work with existing USB devices.
Good luck!