High Sierra worth all the potential conflicts to upgrade?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: High Sierra worth all the potential conflicts to upgrade

Post by HCMarkus »

Things like this keep the feet chilly:

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/02/19/ap ... sk-images/
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: High Sierra worth all the potential conflicts to upgrade

Post by mikehalloran »

HCMarkus wrote:Things like this keep the feet chilly:

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/02/19/ap ... sk-images/
Bombich says Carbon Copy Cloner will not support AFPS-formatted sparse disk images until Apple resolves the issue

If there is an issue. APFS may be working as designed. Apple has yet to release the white paper explaining how APFS is supposed to work. It is truly bizarre and not intuitive.

I’ve dealt with screwing APFS up and fixing it with a series of Disk Utility and Terminal Commands from three web sites that often contradicted each other. Even though I was successful, I barely understand what happened.

Time Machine works well, both backup and restore under OS 10.13. Good enough for me.

Cloning, otoh, has never been supported by Apple. I’ve used it because it is faster for some tasks but its lack of checks and redundancy is ripe for problems. I would never use cloning in place of Time Machine.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro