MOTU 828x on El Capitan issue on Thunderbolt connection

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
cocoazenith
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU 828x on El Capitan issue on Thunderbolt connection

Post by cocoazenith »

Hi everybody,

New to the forum but a MOTU fan for a long time. I'm having some issues with my MOTU 828x and I've decided that it's better to ask here first than start a MOTU Support "crusade". So here's the deal:

I've just upgraded to El Capitan a month ago after using Yosemite for the past 3 years... I was pretty bummed to find that I get all sorts of bugs and errors in El Capitan whereas Yosemite worked flawlessly on my Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro. That being said the 828x was no stranger to these bugs.

When on Thunderbolt connection Safari refuses to play media (like YouTube videos). The same
happens with iTunes tracks. I hit play and the time cursor stays at 0:01, does not advance and no sound comes out. No here's the funny part. Whenever I disconnect the 828x and the default Macbook Pro speakers automatically become active the videos/tracks start playing normally all of a sudden.
Same applies for when I connect the 828x via USB...

If I disconnect the Thunderbolt cable and connect it back again things or shut down and start the interface everything works fine but after 1-2 hours the same problems arise.

I must emphasize that on OS X Yosemite this behaviour did not occur at all in all 3 years of using the 828x via Thunderbolt...so this is clearly an El Capitan bug.

Maybe some of you had the same issue and I would appreciate some input on the problem.

Thanks!
mikehalloran

Re: MOTU 828x on El Capitan issue on Thunderbolt connection

Post by mikehalloran »

Have you installed the latest MOTU driver?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
cocoazenith

Post by cocoazenith »

Yes, of course.

It might something to do with the computer going to sleep. When I wake it
the 828x is not active anymore. Yet, this didn't happen previously in Yosemite.
And the symtoms are strange because besides no audio it affects the functionality
of web browser as well as iTunes, which are apps.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

so this is clearly an El Capitan bug.
I am not saying that you don’t have a problem but the 828x started shipping not long before the release of OS 10.11.

It is not “clearly an El Capitan bug“

What does MOTU Support have to say?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro