MIDI Express XT Won't Pass MIDI in Standalone Mode

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
DJKeys
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MIDI Express XT Won't Pass MIDI in Standalone Mode

Post by DJKeys »

I have had a MIDI Express XT for a long time, and it has worked perfectly. I have the latest drivers installed. I use Audio/MIDI Setup on the Mac. I have used the same preset on the XT for years, and the Clockworks configuration is correct.

What I don't understand is that I used to be able to trigger my MIDI modules without even starting up my computer. Just select the right channel on my controller and play. Now (and I am not sure how or when) I have to boot my computer and launch Pro Tools to get MIDI to pass from my controller to the modules. When PT is open, I can select any MIDI track and play the corresponding instrument without issue. I can record MIDI data and play back fine, no issues at all.

I have the USB model, and tried all of the presets multiple times and none of them pass MIDI at all unless Protools is open. The modules MIDI indicator lights do not show any activity unless PT is running. With Clockworks open, I tried all presets again. They change on the XT when I select them, but MIDI still does not pass through.

In addition, If I open Audio/MIDI setup and go to the MIDI Studio and Test MIDI, all of the outputs work perfectly and trigger the correct devices. I just cannot get any MIDI input to the XT when Pro Tools is closed. This did work before at some point.

I am sure that I did not have to have PT open before, and something must have changed, but I do not know what.

Any input on this appreciated, thanks
PT 12.5.2
Waves Gold/RenMaxx v9.2
iZotope Ozone 5

Nord Stage 2 SW 73
Access Virus TI2 Polar
Prophet 6
Korg WS-AD/TR-Rack
Roland XV-5050
Emu Procussion
DJKeys

Re: MIDI Express XT Won't Pass MIDI in Standalone Mode

Post by DJKeys »

This just started working again for no reason. Have no idea why, but not questioning it.

Thanks-

-dj
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

How long since you've changed the battery?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
DJKeys

Post by DJKeys »

That's the first thing I did a couple of weeks ago when the unit kept losing its config on startup.

Been working great now for 24 hours.

Thanks-

-dj