Track 16 analog out confusion

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
rpage
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Track 16 analog out confusion

Post by rpage »

I just got a Track 16. Love it but one of the reasons I got it was to hook up my control room monitors to the main outputs and my studio monitors to the analog outs. It wasn't till after it arrived I discovered the analog outs are unbalanced (which strikes me as odd on such a nice piece of hardware—I imagine there was some technical reason for it). Anyway, when I attached my monitors via unbalanced 1/4" cables from the unbalanced analog outs of the Track 16 to the nutrik connectors on my KRK V8 monitors, I get a nasty hum. I'm a musician not electrician so I heed help! I was sure I read before I bought this unit you can hook up a second set of monitors to the analog outs but I sure can't figure out how to do it. Any ideas?

And on the software side, is there a way in MOTU Audio Setup and CuemixFX to have the Analog outs mirror the main out?

Thanks!
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Track 16 analog out confusion

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Sorry I can't help as I've never tried that, but a call or techlink to MOTU should get an answer quickly, assuming nobody here has an answer.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
reedster

Post by reedster »

This article may help with unbalanced/balanced connections:
http://www.rane.com/note110.html

In MAS, try setting the Main Out Assign to mirror Analog 1-2 and setting the DAW to output to Analog 1-2. A bit different from your request, but gets you to a similar result.
MacBook Pro 9,1 15" 16gb | 10.12.4 | DP 9.13 | xAir | NI | WIVI | Garritan | Izotope | Bidule
rpage

Post by rpage »

reedster wrote:This article may help with unbalanced/balanced connections:
http://www.rane.com/note110.html

In MAS, try setting the Main Out Assign to mirror Analog 1-2 and setting the DAW to output to Analog 1-2. A bit different from your request, but gets you to a similar result.
I'm mystified. That faq sheet you recommended says "Mixing balanced and unbalanced equipment, however, is an entirely different story, since balanced and unbalanced interconnect are truly not compatible". Yet the MOTU Track 16 sales page says: "Connect a pair of powered studio monitors to the main outs. The line outs can be used for a variety of purposes, either mirroring the main outs (perhaps for a 2nd set of studio monitors) or acting as a completely independent output pair (for a separate mix going to a mixing board or stage wedges, for example). Because they can be programmed, the line outs offer tremendous flexibility." So why on earth would the line outs be unbalanced in a world where all powered monitors and mixing boards are balanced? (And furthermore, the marketing blurb says you can mirror the main outs to analog outs which is exactly what I want to do but can't figure out how.)

This is why I got the Track 16 in the first place. Right now it's a fancy, expensive paperweight. I just wish MOTU tech support would respond to my requests. I'm really frustrated.
MIDI Life Crisis

Or call them for instant service. I'm sure they can talk you through this.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

The Track 16 does not appear to be designed to work with two sets of monitors. The second set of analog outputs are probably intended to allow connections to line ii on another unit.

You'll probably have to make a cable where you connect the negative line of the balanced side to the ground on the unbalanced side. Sometimes you can just leave the negative side unconnected to anything.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
reedster

Post by reedster »

Gosh, I thought cables with a particular wiring could help. Over here a Track 16 with a direct connection to two sets of powered monitors works without excessive noise. The balanced outs power the longer cable run and off the shelf cables, 1/4" TRS to XLR, are used for the shorter run.

While the mirroring feature is reversed from how I might label or design it, it does work as suggested. Alternatively with Digital Performer, and I assume most DAWs, one can use a send to make both pairs have the same signal. I too have run into discrepancy between Track 16 marketing material and reality but for your situation it seems more an issue of semantics than non-function.

Hope it works out,

Mark
MacBook Pro 9,1 15" 16gb | 10.12.4 | DP 9.13 | xAir | NI | WIVI | Garritan | Izotope | Bidule
rpage

Post by rpage »

bayswater wrote:The Track 16 does not appear to be designed to work with two sets of monitors. The second set of analog outputs are probably intended to allow connections to line ii on another unit.
Well, again, I would say this quote from the MOTU Track 16 page would contradict that:
"The line outs can be used for a variety of purposes, either mirroring the main outs (perhaps for a 2nd set of studio monitors)..."
rpage

Post by rpage »

reedster wrote:Gosh, I thought cables with a particular wiring could help. Over here a Track 16 with a direct connection to two sets of powered monitors works without excessive noise. The balanced outs power the longer cable run and off the shelf cables, 1/4" TRS to XLR, are used for the shorter run.
Hmm, well maybe the unbalanced guitar cables I have on hand that I've tried so far are just not high quality enough? I've tried connecting using balanced 1/4" TRS to XLR and I get a really nasty hum. Connecting with unbalanced 1/4" to 1/4" (guitar cables) works but that nasty hum is still there, although much quieter.
rpage

Post by rpage »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Or call them for instant service. I'm sure they can talk you through this.
Every time I call I get a busy signal.
MIDI Life Crisis

It does take some persistence to get thru. Early in the day seems that be a bit easier.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
reedster

Post by reedster »

rpage wrote:Hmm, well maybe the unbalanced guitar cables I have on hand that I've tried so far are just not high quality enough?
I would be surprised if cable quality, in this instance, was a factor.

Seems like I may have had trouble with Track 16 noise when not using wall wart power supply and powering the unit via Firewire.

What about AC power? Are the Track 16, Monitors and inter-connected gear all powered from the same source? That's best practice. Is that source properly grounded?

Are the AC cables and signal cables running parallel to and in close proximity to one another? Best to avoid that scenario.
MIDI Life Crisis

I always use the power supply. Port power (FW) is noisy as all get up. Snap, crackle, pop!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
rpage

Post by rpage »

Hmm, I'll try using the power supply, hadn't thought of that. Thx. I'm having more trouble with the Track 16 - when I first hooked it up I got a dreadful pop and distortion. It went away so I chalked it up to a 1-time anomaly. But today it went nuts - really loud distortion, popping. I posted a clip of it here (password MOTU): https://vimeo.com/155193213

Again, this was all working fine pre-Track 16. I simply removed my old 828mkII and put the Track 16 in it's place and this started happening. Same cables and everything. Only thing that's changed is this new unit.

So, yeah, tomorrow I'll give the power supply a shot.

Another wall wart. Greaaaaaat.
rpage

Post by rpage »

Oh, also, support is always busy so I called customer service and got a lovely woman named Tina. She found my technote in the system and confirmed they hadn't looked at it yet. She said she would nudge support for me. That was Thursday. Still nothing.