Cannot get Ethno 1.01 to work as VST in Win 7 (64-bit)

Moderator: James Steele

danika
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Cannot get Ethno 1.01 to work as VST in Win 7 (64-bit)

Post by danika »

Does anyone have Ethno 1.01 working as a VST plug-in in Win 7 (64-bit)? It works as a standalone and as an RTAS plug-in in Pro Tools. However, the VST plug-in causes both Sonar 8.5.3 and Cubase 5.5.1 to hang during their plug-in scan. The DXi version will not load in Sonar. Unfortunately all of my projects using Ethno 1 have been built in Sonar. I cannot get a response from Motu tech support.

Related question: Does Ethno 2 work as a VST in Win 7? And does it include the instruments from Ethno 1? If the answer to both of these is 'yes' I might just go ahead and upgrade. Otherwise I'm going to give up on Ethno and get EWQL RA or Silk.
saintjoe
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Cannot get Ethno 1.01 to work as VST in Win 7 (64-bit)

Post by saintjoe »

I have it working as a plugin in the 64 bit version of Studio One, and as a 32 bit plugin in Ableton Live on Windows 7 64 bit machine.
SoundsAndGear.com - music production news, tips, videos, and reviews.
hugy

Post by hugy »

danika wrote:Does anyone have Ethno 1.01 working as a VST plug-in in Win 7 (64-bit)? It works as a standalone and as an RTAS plug-in in Pro Tools. However, the VST plug-in causes both Sonar 8.5.3 and Cubase 5.5.1 to hang during their plug-in scan. The DXi version will not load in Sonar. Unfortunately all of my projects using Ethno 1 have been built in Sonar. I cannot get a response from Motu tech support.

Related question: Does Ethno 2 work as a VST in Win 7? And does it include the instruments from Ethno 1? If the answer to both of these is 'yes' I might just go ahead and upgrade. Otherwise I'm going to give up on Ethno and get EWQL RA or Silk.
You can use still Ethno 1 sounds using the free UVIWorkstation on Windows 7 64bits.
Just copy Ethno1 dat and ufs file in the UVISoundbanks folder.
Check the forum posts regarding this for a more detailed explanation.

In any case, Ethno 2 works fine on this configuration.

Hope this helps.
carrythebanner
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by carrythebanner »

danika wrote:Related question: Does Ethno 2 work as a VST in Win 7? And does it include the instruments from Ethno 1? If the answer to both of these is 'yes' I might just go ahead and upgrade. Otherwise I'm going to give up on Ethno and get EWQL RA or Silk.
Yes, as a 32- and 64-bit VST; and yes, the Ethno v2 library is a superset of the Ethno v1 library.
"I don't see any method at all, sir."
danika

Post by danika »

hugy wrote: You can use still Ethno 1 sounds using the free UVIWorkstation on Windows 7 64bits.

Hope this helps.
I found some posts on the subject and now have the UVI Workstation working as plug-in in Sonar 8.5 x64 and Ethno defined as a soundbank in the UVI browser. The next two levels in the browser follow the organization that I normally see in Ethno--for example the world regions Africa, Asia, Australia etc., and then the instruments Er Hu, Shakuhachi, etc. below Asia. Below each instrument are sample files that I can drag into the browser and play. However, there must be some sort of Ethno multi that maps these files, because in Ethno I would only see the Er Hu or the Shakuhachi as instruments. So unless I'm missing something here, without the Ethno multis the sample files are not overly useful.
hugy

Post by hugy »

danika wrote:
hugy wrote: You can use still Ethno 1 sounds using the free UVIWorkstation on Windows 7 64bits.

Hope this helps.
I found some posts on the subject and now have the UVI Workstation working as plug-in in Sonar 8.5 x64 and Ethno defined as a soundbank in the UVI browser. The next two levels in the browser follow the organization that I normally see in Ethno--for example the world regions Africa, Asia, Australia etc., and then the instruments Er Hu, Shakuhachi, etc. below Asia. Below each instrument are sample files that I can drag into the browser and play. However, there must be some sort of Ethno multi that maps these files, because in Ethno I would only see the Er Hu or the Shakuhachi as instruments. So unless I'm missing something here, without the Ethno multis the sample files are not overly useful.
You need to copy/alias Ethno.ufs and Ethno.dat and check for those two in the mounted volume in UVIWorkstation
The ufs contains phrases and loops while the dat files contains all the instruments.

Hope this helps.
danika

Post by danika »

hugy wrote:
danika wrote:

Hope this helps.
You need to copy/alias Ethno.ufs and Ethno.dat and check for those two in the mounted volume in UVIWorkstation
The ufs contains phrases and loops while the dat files contains all the instruments.

Hope this helps.
You're right. I finally found the instruments in the dat file. Thanks for your help.

When I look at Edit tab for an instrument I still don't see any sample mapping. So I guess UVIWorkstation is a sample player, but does not map samples. Is there a companion app that does sample mapping? One of my gripes about Ethno is that I can't see and fiddle with the sample mappings like I can in Kontakt.
hugy

Post by hugy »

danika wrote: You're right. I finally found the instruments in the dat file. Thanks for your help.

When I look at Edit tab for an instrument I still don't see any sample mapping. So I guess UVIWorkstation is a sample player, but does not map samples. Is there a companion app that does sample mapping? One of my gripes about Ethno is that I can't see and fiddle with the sample mappings like I can in Kontakt.
MOTU sampler, Machfive allows this.
http://www.motu.com/products/software/machfive

Hope this helps.
danika

Post by danika »

Update: I started a similar thread on Gearslutz, and someone there reported that they also could never get Ethno 1 or 1.0.1 working, but that they had Ethno 2 working OK in Win 7 64 bit. So I took another look at what you get for the upgrade cost and decided to purchase the upgrade.

Bad move. Before you can install the upgrade to V2, you have to uninstall V1, and the uninstall will not work. MOTU tech support is worse than useless, their only response was the same as when I reported the problem with V1, "Do you have IE8 installed?" When I reported that I uninstalled IE8 and it didn't make any difference, the support request went into the black hole again. Their phone support is a joke. I get a busy signal any time of day that I call. Apparently they don't even have an on-hold queue.
hugy

Post by hugy »

imho don't bother with the uninstall.
Just remove the files

Usually they say this just to be sure and avoid any possible issue. (just in case)
danika

Post by danika »

hugy wrote:imho don't bother with the uninstall.
Just remove the files

Usually they say this just to be sure and avoid any possible issue. (just in case)
Yeah, I'm going to give that a try. However, I will also need to clean out the registry. There's Ethno stuff splattered all through the registry.