Trouble installing Motu Ethno.

Moderator: James Steele

Dan C
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Trouble installing Motu Ethno.

Post by Dan C »

I recently purchased Ethno but cant get the program to install at all. To think that i paid so much money and got really excited to use it is a bit sickening, not to mention Motu's non existant technical support. Youd think they would do something about it after the many complaints the software has generated but obviously they dont give a ••••. Anyway, everytime i install the program it appears to work ok untill i go to open Ethno i get an Initialization Error box that says : ''This software could not find the required user interface DLL. Please reinstall the software and try again.'' Ive reinstalled the software dozens of times but the same thing keeps happening. I tried installing ethno on a friends computer but it wouldnt install on his either. Could anyone help please?
Dan C

Re: Trouble installing Motu Ethno.

Post by Dan C »

Dont know if its any use but i want to use ethno as a stand alone instrument.
rodger1811
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by rodger1811 »

I'm assuming that you're using a PC since you referenced Dll's? Can we get more information about your setup?
Mid 2012 Mac Pro 12 Core 2.4GHz, 24G RAM, OSX 10.8.2, DP 8.01
4x2 TB Hard Drives
APOGEE Symphony
MOTU 2408 mk3
MOTU HD192/Black Lion Modified
MOTU 24I/Ox2
MOTU MIDI Timepiece
Universal Audio UAD-2 Quad x 2
Universal Audio (Entire Plugin Library)
Waves Mercury+ Studio Classics
Tons of other goodies; to many to mention here
carrythebanner

Post by carrythebanner »

Make sure your system is fully up-to-date: check for driver updates for your graphics card, DirectX, Windows, iLok drivers, etc.
"I don't see any method at all, sir."
Dan C

Post by Dan C »

I have a Dell Studio 1555 Laptop running Vista Home Edition. The processor is an Intel Core 2 Duo. The Graphics card is an Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family. It has 4GB of ram. Ive checked for updated drivers but everything is up to date, hope this helps. :D
hugy

Post by hugy »

It looks like a PACE driver issue.
Try reinstalling those using this URL
http://sw.ilok.com/DriverSetup.exe

Otherwise, you can try to use Ethno sounds
inside UVIWorkstation
http://www.uvisoundsource.com/uvi-works ... icles_id/8

You just need to create shortcuts to Ethno.dat and Ethno.ufs in
c:/Program Files/UVISoundbanks

Still you need Ethno to be installed as it's used to check the Ethno authorization.

Hope this helps
Dan C

Post by Dan C »

Hugy - Unfortunately this never worked, the same box keeps coming up! :( I tried installing Ethno on an older computer running XP, which kind of worked but when i open Ethno only half of the instrument opens up. Im guessing this is probably due to my graphics card (Radeon 7000.)

Im at the stage now where im very close to giving in with Ethno. Its been the biggest waste of money ive ever spent. The only options i seem to be left with are to buy another graphics card that will be able to handle Ethno's 3d interface. But what soundcard will do the job? I dont want to risk more money for it not to work. The other is to use Workstation like you said but what will i lose from Ethno? Will workstation only playback the sounds from Ethno? Does it have the same or similar features?

Thanks, Dan.
carrythebanner

Post by carrythebanner »

Dan C wrote:The other is to use Workstation like you said but what will i lose from Ethno? Will workstation only playback the sounds from Ethno? Does it have the same or similar features?
Everything you can do in Ethno, you can do in UVI Workstation. Ethno has a few conveniences, like a 2-band EQ that's baked into each part, but you can always add the same EQ manually to any part in UVI WS if you need it. I think that UVI WS is actually much more flexible. Since I started using MachFive and UVI WS, I haven't used the actual Ethno plug-in in a long time — I always just load up the Ethno sounds in M5 or UVI WS.
"I don't see any method at all, sir."