Solved (hopefully): Using Ethno with VST hosts

Moderator: James Steele

Anderton
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Solved (hopefully): Using Ethno with VST hosts

Post by Anderton »

I have not had much success using Ethno with Windows VST hosts. With Sonar, I always used it as a DXi, which worked fine. Ethno also works in Pro Tools and AU-friendly Mac programs.

But I needed to install Ethno in Ableton Live (Windows XP version) as a VST instrument and when I couldn't get it work despite installs, re-installs, etc. etc., I searched the web for answers. It appears that although many users have no problem installing Ethno, those who have had problems have not been able to find a one-size-fits-all solution. However, here's one that works (at least for me!) not only with Sonar but Live, Cubase, and other VST hosts.

The problem with Ethno seems to be in the installer. Here's what I did:

1. If applicable uninstall MOTU Ethno, and delete any folders it created.
2. The documentation is correct that you need to have the sound bank files installed first, so copy them over if they are not already installed somewhere in your computer. It really doesn't matter where they are, Ethno will find them during the installation process.
3. Begin the Ethno installation. When you are offered a choice of what to install, DO NOT check "Complete Install." Check ONLY the VST option, and no other options.
4. You will be asked to specify the VSTplug-ins folder where you want Ethno installed. This apparently has nothing to do where Ethno will actually be installed, but humor it anyway and specify a folder so that you can continue.
5. Finish the installation process. When you do, you will find nothing in the VST folder. Instead, there is a file called "MOTU Ethno Instrument.dll" placed in C:/Program Files/MOTU/Ethno Instrument. You may also see a file called "Ethno.dll" (it would be in the C:/Program Files/MOTU/Ethno Instrument/Plug-in folder), which is not what you want.
6. Copy "MOTU Ethno Instrument.dll" into your desired Vstplugins folder.
7. When you open up your host and it scans for VSTs, monitor the scan results. If you see "MOTU Ethno Instrument" (not just "Ethno"), you should be able to call it up as a VST instrument under your host.

Note that the file "Ethno.dll" will not work. I'm assuming (well, guessing actually, I really don't have a clue!) that it's the DXi plug-in, and ends up being registered under Windows. This is something of concern only to Sonar users, and given that Sonar hasn't "wrapped" VST plug-ins since something like version 4 (it's now on version 8), just install the VST plug-in and don't bother with the DXi version.

If you also need the stand-alone version, repeat the same general procedure but in step 3, specify ONLY the stand-alone version.

I sincerely hope this helps all the frustrated Ethno owners who were not able to get it working with a VST host. Ethno is a great little instrument, but it's much better when you can actually USE it!

--Craig