Considering Ethno for PC/Cubase4

Moderator: James Steele

Pip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Considering Ethno for PC/Cubase4

Post by Pip »

Hi everybody I've had my eyes on Ethno for a couple of months but have had bad experiences with MOTU and PC's in the past. Is it stable? Any known problems, I hate saving for a product and then having tons of problems with it - hope you guys can confirm it's solid and no hassle!
Later
Pip
negraszus
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Considering Ethno for PC/Cubase4

Post by negraszus »

Pip wrote:Hi everybody I've had my eyes on Ethno for a couple of months but have had bad experiences with MOTU and PC's in the past. Is it stable? Any known problems, I hate saving for a product and then having tons of problems with it - hope you guys can confirm it's solid and no hassle!
I think better don't buy it yet. I like Ethno a lot but it is the most unstable plugin I own (yeap I use Cubase 4 on WIN XP). From 3 times loading it crashes once at least - guarenteed! Very disappointing. I only learned after my purchase that MOTU is rather Mac friendly so I won't buy any other products from them for now.
Pip

Post by Pip »

Ouch - I was/am concerned I to have had bad expereinces with windoze and MOTU - anybody want to chime in to boost my confidence before I descide to purchase or not?
:shock:
Later
Pip
negraszus

Post by negraszus »

Pip wrote:Ouch - I was/am concerned I to have had bad expereinces with windoze and MOTU - anybody want to chime in to boost my confidence before I descide to purchase or not?
:shock:
Actually before I posted my first reply I contacted MOTU support and they gave me a good hint in regards to my graphic card. So in the meantime I have updated my drivers for the graphic card and I couldn't crash Ethno ever since (more than a week testing so far!). Apart from this regular crashing I had no other problems, its really a nice plugin and I use it quite a lot.
Pip

Post by Pip »

OK so I'm really interested in Ethno (again) :)

I really want the plug - I'm a chill out/world producer should I jump?

How does it compare to RA?

I'm already down for voices of passion.
Later
Pip
wowzer

Post by wowzer »

Anyone using Ethno along with UAD-1 plugs on Win/Cubase4? I experience random dropouts, sometimes even HUGE white noiseburts on maximum level, when using Ethno along with UAD plugs and other VSTi (Kontakt2 for example). To me it seems like a memory issue - like Ethno would steal RAM from the other Plugs/Instruments in a project when loaded. But I don't know. Anyone with ideas?
/828MkII/Fostex PM1/Cubase SX/Windows XP
Pip

Post by Pip »

Wowzer thats interesting as I use my UAD card a lot. Still haven't jumped with Ethno, I really want to. Can you confirm the other than the UAD/Ethno issue it's stable with XP and Cubase 4. Have you thought about freezing the plug to get around your problems?
Later
Pip
wowzer

Post by wowzer »

Yep. It's definately stable otherwise. However, in my case it doesn't matter as my UAD-plugs are essential for all the work that I do. Freezing won't help, because once you've loaded Ethno in a Cubase project, the problem persists. Even if you've unloaded it manually.
/828MkII/Fostex PM1/Cubase SX/Windows XP
Pip

Post by Pip »

Wowzer - I've pushed the button and should collect it on Wednesday. How about recording the output to audio?

I let you know how I get on, there also a pc patch to be applied i think :?:
Later
Pip