Ethno and Sonar PE6, The silence is deafening

Moderator: James Steele

yorolpal
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Ethno and Sonar PE6, The silence is deafening

Post by yorolpal »

While I had no problems with Ethno in Sonar 5, using Sonar 6 is proving very problematic as far as Ethno is concerned. When the GUI pops up I get terrible "static" through my speakers which lasts until the GUI is closed. Also even tho the program works it is glitchy. Worse tho is that any project that I've used Ethno in in Sonar 6.2.1 won't reload at all until I disable Ethno in Sonar's "safe" mode. Are there any new drivers coming down the pike or a workaround for these issues? Seems like several folks have asked similar questions only to hear the sound of silence here. Doesn't anybody have a clue?
There are only two kinds of people in this world. Me. And everybody else.
yorolpal

Post by yorolpal »

Hey James Steel. As moderator here, do you have any info regarding Ethno and Sonar 6.2.1? Because no one else seems to. Or any info on MOTU products (I use the Ultralite) and PCs in general or Sonar in specific? Cause it's pretty slim pickings over on the hardware forum too. Does anyone who actually works for MOTU in a technical capacity ever, you know, like look at the threads on the various forums here and, oh, I don't know, say, answer someones questions. Ever? Sorry if I'm being coy but you should come over to the Sonar forum sometime. Honest. The peer to peer help on almost any issue is quick, usually on target, and very helpful. And the folks at Cakewalk regularly view and respond to questions and concerns. I realize also there is a perception (I share it) that MOTU regards PC users in let's just say a slightly dimmer light. But we represent a substantial part of your market. A little help now and again would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
yorolpal

Post by yorolpal »

Hey James, sorry, I owe you an apology. Sort of. I still feel that you should pay much more attention to PC users questions and concerns here but I now see that this forum is NOT sponsored or run by MOTU. My bad. So here's a question you probably can answer. Are there any MOTU sponsored/run forums that might deal with PC users? Their tech support, while useful, is cumbersome and sometimes downright unhelpful. Thanks for any info and, again, sorry for the confusion.
shang
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by shang »

Is there anyone using Sonar 6 that actually has Ethno working? If I load Ethno as a DXi, it loads a blank window. If I load it as a VSTi, it actually causes Sonar to dump out to Windows. I just submitted a support request to MOTU about this. We'll see how long it takes to get a useful response.
So long, and thanks for all the fish...
Shang
vurt

indeed

Post by vurt »

[quote="shang"]Is there anyone using Sonar 6 that actually has Ethno working? If I load Ethno as a DXi, it loads a blank window. If I load it as a VSTi, it actually causes Sonar to dump out to Windows. I just submitted a support request to MOTU about this. We'll see how long it takes to get a useful response.[/quote]

I am in agreement with the previous statements.
I have the exact same problems with Ethno & M5V2 as a plugin in Sonar 6.20 Sonar 6.21 and ableton live 5 and i use an Ultralite on Intel Firewire.

it works in stand alone only
as a softsynth plug-in it only draws the control window itself
shang

Post by shang »

You're not going to like my answer. I never got any response from MOTU. And somewhere along the line it just started working for me. I think I reinstalled but I can't remember exactly what all I did. Sorry.
Shang
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

yorolpal wrote:Hey James, sorry, I owe you an apology. Sort of. I still feel that you should pay much more attention to PC users questions and concerns here but I now see that this forum is NOT sponsored or run by MOTU. My bad. So here's a question you probably can answer. Are there any MOTU sponsored/run forums that might deal with PC users? Their tech support, while useful, is cumbersome and sometimes downright unhelpful. Thanks for any info and, again, sorry for the confusion.
Ummm... I'm glad you found an answer and realized that I'm just a volunteer and this board is in no way affiliated with MOTU and I'm not a MOTU employee (although I've played one on television... just kidding!). Also, I'm a Mac user and have been for quite a long time and really don't know the first thing about Windows. Windows users like yourself sort of showed up here and most of the discussion went on in the MOTU Hardware forum and I split it off into a Windows section as a means to help, but I can't do more than that... I just don't have the time.

This is primarily a Mac oriented board. I don't mean any disrespect to the Windows users who come here, but that's just the reality of it because most of the board membership including myself are Mac users. I think most board that deal with MOTU hardware/software are likely to be Mac-centric so long as Digital Performer is a Mac-only sequencer.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
shang

Post by shang »

I wasn't referring to this board. I was talking about the actual MOTU Tech Support, or lack there of. I have no complaints about people who are willing to help, especially volunteers. I think this board is actually pretty great, even if it's mostly Mac. :wink:
Shang
carrythebanner

Post by carrythebanner »

shang wrote:Is there anyone using Sonar 6 that actually has Ethno working? If I load Ethno as a DXi, it loads a blank window. If I load it as a VSTi, it actually causes Sonar to dump out to Windows. I just submitted a support request to MOTU about this. We'll see how long it takes to get a useful response.
Try turning off the X-Ray feature – some plug-ins work well with it, some don't. You can turn off X-Ray globally, or edit some .ini file to opt-out individual plug-ins.
"I don't see any method at all, sir."