Ethno VST on Win x64 in Sonar Problem

Moderator: James Steele

shang
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Ethno VST on Win x64 in Sonar Problem

Post by shang »

I am trying to use Ethno as a VSTi in Sonar 6 x64. Whenever the DLL is read by Sonar on startup, my PC auto-reboots. Handy feature, unless you ever want to use the software. Anyone ever have this problem or has anyone actually used Ethno on an x64 PC with Sonar? Or does anyone have any ideas as to how to fix this? I downloaded and installed the latest Ethno update and the x64 iLok drivers. The iLok device shows up fine in Device Manager.
So long, and thanks for all the fish...
Shang
SF_Green

re: Ethno VST on Win x64 in Sonar Problem

Post by SF_Green »

I'm running on XP x64 with Sonar 6 PE and it worked fine the first try. The only problem I had along the way was getting the iLok installed. I had to hunt down the 64 bit drivers for those - they apparently aren't included on the install CD. Once that was done it ran the first time, both as a stand-alone and as a VST in Sonar. Maybe try posting on the Cakewalk Sonar forum and somebody might have some help for you.
Good luck!
Peace,
Bud
Athlon 64 X2 Dual core 4800+
ASUS A8N-E, Win XPsp3, Win XPx64sp2
2x1Gb Corsair 3500LLPro DDR SDRAM
ATI Radeon 1800XL
RME FireFace 800, UAD-1e, UAD2-Quad
2 x SATA 320 Gb, 1 SATA 1.5 Tb
M-Audio BX-8 monitors, Alesis QS7.1, Alesis Control Pad
Sonar8.5 PE, Reason4, MOTU Ethno2, Dimension Pro, BFD2, Rapture, OmniSphere, Komplete6
chrisbeatz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Ethno VST on Win x64 in Sonar Problem

Post by chrisbeatz »

Vista Ultimate 64bit

I Have the same issue with different applications that read the dll file for the ethno vsti and i get a blue screen instantly.
Same results for sonar and ableton, standalone works perfectly!

Uninstal reinstal many many times, have ilok drivers updated for 64bit and nothing is working for the vst.

Im stumped

-Cb
SF_Green

Post by SF_Green »

I can't remember when X-ray was introduced, whether it was S6 or S7 (think 6), but Ethno had a big problem with X-ray (see through windows). I think Ethno uses Direct X for some of the display.
Ok, I just looked it up and found this:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1072 ... U&#1072610

If the problem involves Sonar at all, I would check the forum there too. There are a lot of users and if a search doesn't come up with what you need (use the one at the bottom, not the one at the top of the page) then post your problem and someone can usually help you pretty quickly.

Anyway, I was only having the x-ray problem and this took care of everything and it's been pretty smooth sailing ever since.
Good luck!
Peace.
ATI Radeon 1800XL
Sonar8.5 PE, Reason4, MOTU Ethno2, Dimension Pro, BFD2, Rapture, OmniSphere, Komplete6
SF_Green

Post by SF_Green »

Ok, sorry for the link (it worked for me - guess it was in cache when I checked it). Anyway, here's the text of the post from the link:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Until Motu fixes this problem, you will have to deactivate the 6.2's X-Ray feature in Sonar to avoid having problems with Motu Symphonic Control Window. The following message has been received from Rich from MOTU on 2007/06/12 09:11:03 GMT-5 :

Launch Sonar, go to Options > Global, and click on the General tab. At the bottom, disable X-Ray. This is the easiest and quickest method, but it will disable X-Ray for all plug-ins.

Or

Exclude only Ethno Instrument from using X-Ray. To do this, you'll need to follow these steps to edit the XRayExclude.ini file.

- Go to C:\Documents and Settings\user_name\Application Data\Cakewalk\Sonar 6 Producer Edition. (Replace C:\ with the letter of your XP boot drive, and user_name with your login account's user name.)
- Open XRayExclude.ini with Notepad
- You'll see entries like this:

; Waves Stomp 6 Stereo
XRayExclude10={E3B000C2-6C44-4A23-A9A7-3F2C0052A010}

- Go to the end of the file and add a similar line for Ethno Instrument:

; MOTU Ethno Instrument
XRayExclude13={B7EC1903-F699-45CA-8D2E-43C6402C14DE}
XRayExclude14=11163151438

- Note that the number for each line needs a unique number, such as XRayExclude13, XRayExclude14, etc. Look through the file and find the highest number, then start with the next value.
- The value on each line is the plug-in ID, one each for the DXi and the VST. To find the plug-in ID, launch Sonar, go to Tools > Cakewalk Plug-in Manager and locate the DXi and VSTi versions of Ethno Instrument.
- Save this file, and relaunch Sonar.

Using either method, the GUI should appear now, and when X-Ray is enabled the Ethno Instrument GUI will not become transparent.
ATI Radeon 1800XL
shang

Post by shang »

This is great info! After I wrote the original post I ended up dumping x64 for various reasons and have been running everything in x32 since. When I do the next upgrade to my system I was planning on going back to x64 because so many more drivers and plugins have stablized or actually exist now for x64. This should be a big help.
So long, and thanks for all the fish...
Shang