Visual Glitches?

Moderator: James Steele

meeloo
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by meeloo »

tokyojoe2005 wrote:I had a 1.2 card and it wasn`t working. Their tech support has been telling people 2.0. I was told that as well as one other person (read above). And that still raises the issue of using this API for the GUI. Why bother when they could use static images? There are many VSTi`s out there that look great and don`t need 3D acceleration.
Are you aware that using hardware accelaration thu OpenGL and DirectX is the modern way to handle graphics at all, even 2D? Apple does it in Quartz and Microsoft does it with Vista. 3D cards are amazing at 2D too.
tokyojoe2005
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by tokyojoe2005 »

Yes, I am an avid gamer and have worked with MS in the past (shudder). Vista looks like it will challenge a lot of GPUs, but that is a major OS upgrade. You don`t need hardware acceleration to run XP. Many Windows DAW users, shut off the Fisher Price interface and run in "2000" mode for stability and speed as well as to avoid the noisy fans found on many 3D boards. For that reason, the Matrox cards are popular with DAW builders since they provide dual screens with no fan. Plus, they have been around for years and are known to be dependable. MOTU should have thought about this.

I think this is a cool VSTi but wonder if they are limiting their potential market to users with recent hardware. I don`t know about the rest of you but I would rather spend time making music than testing new hardware configurations. Or posting to forum boards. :wink:
meeloo wrote: Are you aware that using hardware accelaration thu OpenGL and DirectX is the modern way to handle graphics at all, even 2D? Apple does it in Quartz and Microsoft does it with Vista. 3D cards are amazing at 2D too.