Finale 25 and movies... A MAJOR SET OF PROBLEMS

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Finale 25 and movies... A MAJOR SET OF PROBLEMS

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

A bit convoluted. I have to try it still. I hope the timing accuracy is correct. If the Finale score isn't scrolling playback that is kind of a drag. Add to that the scanning importing is gone and it starts to look a little dumbed down. Too much work for the programmers? :shake:

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Finale 25 and movies...

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I opened a current film project in DP, exported an SMF and imported it to F25.

I followed the instructions (image in earlier post) and it seemed like it was going to work, but there are problems.

1 - There is no sound. The instruments are not playing back from the Finale file, only sound that I have on in Digital Performer are sounding. If I turn those off, the Finale file does not sound at all.

2 - If I click and hit the space bar in F25, the score does playback, so the settings for playback are correct in F25.

3 - After a few passes where the score scrolls (and, BTW, it appears to have accurate timing so far) the connection between DP and Finale is lost. Hitting the PLAY control in DP does not even scroll in F25 any longer. The only fix for this is to quit Finale and start again.

4 - Frankly, if there is not a solution to this it's really a deal breaker for me. It's great that those clever programmers have figured a way to get movies to not have to be a concern in Finale, but in doing so, it appears that movies CANNOT be used in F25 and that is really unfortunate. 90% of the work I do in Finale is to picture. Yes, I can go back to F2014.5 and work that way, but I am no appreciating the feature being crippled and hope MM can fix this and fast. A lot of people here in LA use Finale for scoring to picture. They will not take it lightly if that feature is simply swept under the rug like this. It's really quite insulting on a professional level.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS