Impulse Reverbs and Orchestral Mixes

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
KenNickels
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Impulse Reverbs and Orchestral Mixes

Post by KenNickels »

Hello everyone.

In the interest of taking my orchestral mixes up a notch in terms of realism, I ask the following question. With reverbs such as ProVerb where there are impulses such as string hall, and brass hall, and piano hall, etc., am I to understand that I should make submixes, or stems, using an instance of each impulse for each section of the orchestra? Rather than just one reverb on the stereo buss?

Thanks!
My Box(s): Two Mac Pros 5,1/3Ghz, 12 core, 96GB Ram, OS 10.14.6, One Windows 10 computer, Vienna Ensemble Pro, MOTU Audio Express, DP 10.01, Falcon 3, Eastwest, NOVO Strings, 8Dio Brass, Spitfire,, Symphobia
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Impulse Reverbs and Orchestral Mixes

Post by mhschmieder »

Ideally, yes, as you'd want to control exact positioning on the stage, given that orchestras take up a lot of space so it's not the same thing as having a tight single reverb for a rock band where one set of pre-delay parameters will do.

I personally haven't gotten around to this next level of sophistication yet but bought into Vienna MIR in hopes that I could find the time. Steep learning curve for sure. There are other products that support this as well, but I don't have a full list. And of course you can use any product you choose and just set each section differently to model its relative position.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH