Update in Sternberg's notation development...

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Update in Sternberg's notation development...

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Re: Update in Sternberg's notation development...

Post by bayswater »

It does. What's the product? Part of Cubase, or a stand alone score app?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I'm hearing that it will be stand alone.

So far, I like where it's going.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Was just about to post this myself. Wondering what the price will be, and whether there will be competitive cross-grades.

Planned for Q4 of this year.

EDIT: Questions above, are answered below, in a cut/paste from a blog.
Last edited by mhschmieder on Tue May 17, 2016 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Steinberg has announced details of its music notation software, Dorico, scheduled for release the fourth quarter of 2016. Here's the full story in their own words...

A few years ago Steinberg established an R&D center with a new development team in London, setting out to develop next-generation professional scoring software for composers, arrangers, engravers, copyists and educators. Now, Steinberg has provided an overview of the powerful feature set to be included in the initial major release of Dorico, the advanced music notation system.

With its perfect combination of power and simplicity, Dorico holds the key to unlock a whole new world of musical creativity. Its easy and straightforward single-window user interface comprises high-performance tools and versatile page layout options that place a clear focus on a smooth workflow.

Dorico provides the most flexible note input and editing functionality of any scoring application, including the ability to work entirely in open meter or to freely rebar existing music, while maintaining clear and unambiguous rhythmic notation at all times. Only Dorico allows composers to experiment freely with musical ideas, including seamlessly inserting music within an existing passage, or changing the durations of existing notes, and have correct notation produced automatically after every step. The application also provides unique capabilities for project management, allowing users to easily produce works with an unlimited number of staves and movements, sections or pieces within the same project. Dorico facilitates the creation of various score layouts with independent page size, staff size and system layout, powered by a desktop publishing-quality page layout engine.

Dorico's graphical output is intended to uphold the centuries-old craft of fine music engraving, with attention to even the smallest of details. Taking every subtlety into account, Dorico aims to fulfill the aesthetic demands of the most discerning engravers and publishers, providing extensive capabilities for graphical tweaking and editing.

Dorico's multi-threaded architecture makes the software smooth and responsive, even when working on large-scale projects. Building on Steinberg's award-winning audio engine, Dorico comes with a host of sumptuous VST instruments and effects, including HALion Sonic SE and the entire HALion Symphonic Orchestra library.

Steinberg's Product Marketing Manager, Daniel Spreadbury, commented: "After working on Dorico for more than three years, we are excited to finally announce its name and forthcoming availability. All of us on the Dorico team are dedicated to building the best, most beautiful and most useful tool for working with music notation, and we will continue to work hard over the next few months to refine the application before the first version is available for everybody to try for themselves. This is just the beginning of the journey, and we look forward to working with our user community to continue to shape Dorico into the ultimate tool for composing, arranging and publishing music."

"We are pleased that such a highly respected team of developers joined the Steinberg family. By combining our expertise we shall be able to provide an even wider range of powerful solutions for our customers," said Frank Simmerlein, marketing director for Steinberg.

Features at a glance
• Next-generation 64-bit scoring software for OS X and Windows, designed by musicians for musicians
• Beautiful engraved output with unrivaled attention to detail
• Flexible note input and powerful editing, including ability to insert and change duration of existing notes
• Streamlined, single-window interface puts every tool at your fingertips
• Powerful score management features to handle multiple independent pieces of music within the same project
• Unlimited number of staves and movements, sections, or pieces within the same project
• Easily create layouts for full scores and instrumental parts with independent page size, staff size and system layout
• Use your computer keyboard or MIDI keyboard to input music quickly and efficiently
• Superior note spacing with optical kerning of adjacent elements, with tighter default spacing and no rhythmic distortion
• Import and export in MusicXML, MIDI and graphics formats
• Award-winning 32-bit floating-point Steinberg audio engine with flexible routing for virtual instrument and effect playback
• Compatible with VST 3 virtual instruments and effects processors
• Outstanding virtual instruments with more than 1,500 sounds, including HALion Sonic SE 2 workstation and complete HALion Symphonic Orchestra library
• Suite of high-end VST effect processors, including channel strip modules (compressor, EQ, limiter) and convolution reverb

Pricing and Availability:
The full version of Dorico will be available from Steinberg resellers and through the Steinberg Online Shop in the fourth quarter of 2016 for 579 euros including VAT.

Educational pricing for qualifying teachers and students will be 349 euros including VAT.

A special time-limited crossgrade offer for qualifying Sibelius and Finale users will be available for 299 euros including VAT.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Even the competitive cross-grade is super-pricey. maybe worth it though?

Support for open meter, and for rebar, is pretty high on my "must-have" list.

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Is this the source of the name?:

http://www.klwines.com/Products/i?i=1151860

Never happy when a product is named after alcohol or other drugs.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

mhschmieder wrote:Is this the source of the name?:

http://www.klwines.com/Products/i?i=1151860

Never happy when a product is named after alcohol or other drugs.
Valerio Dorico was an Italian printer about the time of Petrucci. He is remembered for having printed Pergolesi's folios.

Ahhh... just found this on the Dorico site:

http://blog.steinberg.net/2016/05/meet- ... g-q4-2016/

I started looking around for contemporaries and successors, and came across the name Valerio Dorico, one of the most important music printers in Rome, active up until the middle of the 16th century. Although Venice – where Petrucci had plied his trade – was by far the most important centre of music printing in this period, responsible for more than 90% of all music printed in Italy in the 16th century, Rome was nevertheless an important city for music printing, and Dorico the most prolific tipografo plying his trade there.

When Dorico began printing music in the 1520s, Petrucci’s double impression method was widely used, though the difficulty of ensuring the music was registered precisely for each impression meant that many printers produced copies that were inferior to those produced by Petrucci and others in Venice. Prints bearing Dorico’s imprint, however, are of a very high quality, comparable to those from the north.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

FYI, chord symbols will not be available in the initial release.
https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewto ... 46&t=97315
-Brian

Mac M1 Ultra 20-core, OS 14.3.1, 128 GB RAM, DP 11.3.1, UA Apollo x6
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

bkshepard wrote:FYI, chord symbols will not be available in the initial release.
https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewto ... 46&t=97315
Like it is for Mr Payne, no chord symbols is a show stopper for me, even if the price wasn't. And I'd want automatic chord detection. Entering chords gets tedious and some sort of automation would be a big help.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I don't necessarily need this app to replace notation apps that I already own; just to cover stuff they don't, or make certain things easier and more intuitive that I need the most regularly. It may score well on that point (pun intended).

Thanks for the historical lesson; surely at one time I had heard the name, and I even thought I remembered such a connection but didn't find it through a web search (since it wasn't a focused search with an expected outcome).

Do you think this is the old Sibelius team starting from scratch?

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Do you think this is the old Sibelius team starting from scratch?
If ancient rumors are to be believed, yes.
MIDI Life Crisis

Still kind of wondering about the no chords thing. Hmmm...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Still kind of wondering about the no chords thing. Hmmm...
I think the posts said they've been working on it for three years. The people paying for this are probably pushing to get it into the market with whatever they have working. I wouldn't have thought chord symbols are a priority for most of the potential users.
MIDI Life Crisis

Would you buy a notation program that couldn't create a simple lead sheet? Not moi.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS