TG Tools for Finale 2014.5 beta is out

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

TG Tools for Finale 2014.5 beta is out

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Re: TG Tools for Finale 2014.5 beta is out

Post by mikehalloran »

Thanks for the heads up.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I'm glad that my old 2.x license still works. Otherwise I would have serious misgivings about a product where the the installer info is wrong and the documentation hasn't been updated since OS 9 in 2002.

Yes, it's not that hard to figure out. In addition, help on the Finale support boards is there but, when charging $100 for a license, giving correct install instructions and an overview how each of the tools really works nowadays is to be expected. The free/lite version included with Finale 2014 has concise instructions when you click on

On a Mac, you install the file manually:
/Library/Application Support/MakeMusic/Finale 2014.5/Plug-ins/TG Tools

To enable your 30 day demo, easiest to click on Repeat TGTools Command under Finale/Plugins/TGTools and click on Registration.

This info from the web site is wrong, BTW or rather it was right a long time ago.
Do not put these plug-in files into subfolders under Plug-Ins. Please put them into the main Plug-Ins folder.

Once properly installed, the "Lite" version that installs with Finale is found under Plug-Ins/TGTools while the Pro version has its own menu.

The real issue, of course, is that very few of these tools are add-ons for convenience. Their functionality should have been incorporated in Finale over a decade ago. The Lyric tools by themselves overcome issues that CodaMusic should have addressed by Finale 2001.

I'm glad that I spent the money way back then and more glad I don't have to spend it again. If I were new to TGTools, I would be wondering why I should have to stumble about just to install correctly.

So far, I have experienced a few menu anomalies that I can't duplicate consistently. The new version of the Tools seems to be working.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Thanks for the links and the hints. I didn't know about these tools before. Downloaded and installed last night. I'll wait a week or two on the demo start time, as I won't need to use Finale that badly until then (most likely).

I had a hard time on their website telling whether/what it costs so thought it might be free. Now that I know it's a demo with a ticking clock, I'll be careful not to launch it until I actually plan to use/audition it. :-)
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

mhschmieder wrote:Thanks for the links and the hints. I didn't know about these tools before. Downloaded and installed last night. I'll wait a week or two on the demo start time, as I won't need to use Finale that badly until then (most likely).

I had a hard time on their website telling whether/what it costs so thought it might be free. Now that I know it's a demo with a ticking clock, I'll be careful not to launch it until I actually plan to use/audition it. :-)
Yea, more confusion not clear or not present on the web site. I got into this when my daughter downloaded and couldn't figure it out.

The Pro demo won't start ticking till you enable in under Registration. The 'lite' version is included with Finale and works.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Ah, thanks -- I thought maybe I had downloaded the light version earlier from another hint on this forum and had simply forgotten, as I saw it there in the Plug-ins folder when I copied the full version there, wondering if Finale would see both and/or invalidate the light version if I choose not to buy the full. I'll cross that bridge later as likely I will want to buy the full version once I've tried it.

My jazz combo bandleader uses a "lesser" version of Finale (I forget all the names they use for their different tiers of notation products), but I'm guessing he won't be able to try this unless he upgrades to full Finale. We were just last night talking about some limitations of notation programs that we have faced within our band when it comes to producing lead sheets and the like.

Just checked their website, which is easy to navigate and lists the full tier structure of products:

http://www.finalemusic.com/products/

I think my bandleader has SongWriter and not PrintMaker. He's willing to upgrade to full Finale if he can do so affordably, like I did, so I'll see what competitive conditions pertain as I believe I was eligible due to owning Notion.

Just finished checking, and he's out of luck. $450 is a lot to pay for an upgrade, compared to the $112 or whatever that I paid just due to owning Notion. Maybe he should buy Notion first. :-)
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The crossgrade route is certainly the way to go. I don't see Mosaic or Composer on the list anymore. The current list. Doesn't matter how old. If your buddy has floppies of Opcode Overture around, that works.

Score
Notion
Sibelius
Encore
Overture

Kelly's Music and Computers is advertising the cross-grade for $115. It was less expensive for me to upgrade another of my Encore licenses than to update my copy of Finale 2011.
http://kellysmusicandcomputers.com/fina ... trade-up-c
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Here's the interface anomaly I mentioned.

When I open a file, the TGTools menu header does not display. Clicking on Plug-ins and scrolling down to TGTools submenu usually displays everything for a second. Then the TGTools menu appears in the header. Now the Pro version plugs display correctly there leaving only the bundled 'lite' versions in the TGT submenu under Plug-ins.

Sometimes all the plugs stay in the submenu and the TGT header does not display. I have figured out who Tobias is on the Finale forum and I'll report what I find there.

In any case, it's a minor issue affecting the interface only. The plugins I have tried appear to work correctly. Despite my issues with the installation instructions, documentation and web site, these plugs do save time and that is the important thing.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Cool; thanks for the list. Somehow I missed it when I searched their site, and thought they were down to only supporting Notion and Sibelius as cross-grades.

We work with a lot of musicians (typical of jazz) who come and go, and most are composers as well. They each seem to use a different notation program -- some I haven't even heard of!