A conversation with composer Howard Shore

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
Kubi
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

A conversation with composer Howard Shore

Post by Kubi »

Hello Everyone, long time no visit ( I do get to lurk very briefly every so often...)

Wanted to share here a conversation that music journalist/author Doug Adams and I recently had with triple Academy-Award-winner Howard Shore, at an event here at Columbia College Chicago's Music Composition for the Screen MFA program, where I am now program director.

Howard talks about how he starts working on a film (the answer may surprise you...), what Scorcese thinks about temp scores (no surprise there), and shares countless other insights.

Grab a fine beverage, hit play, and enjoy! (And feel free to share...) :dance:

https://vimeo.com/146930300

And yes, last I checked Howard uses DP (although I didn't ask him this time.) In fact, I have it on good authority he was instrumental in getting the "Cue" style markers in the Quickscribe window implemented...
8) :headbang:
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: A conversation with composer Howard Shore

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Thanks, man. Definitely will watch this later today. I love his work from Sat. Nite Live to The Hobbit and all things in between. Massive talent!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Congrats on the Columbia gig. I was a music major there back in the mid to late 80's.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I remember the pitch tests in Canadian schools. It was a surprise to learn that a lot of my friends were tone deaf. IIRC, everyone was tested in grade 3. Everyone was in a choir, and everyone participated in music festivals in their town. Music was a big thing in schools then.

In another exercise, all the boys in the school gathered and sang scales, each one a half tone higher than the last. Those who couldn't handle the high note sat down. The last three standing were the sopranos for the triple trio competition.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Liking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Excellent, he's the real deal. Great to hear another perspective.

Thanks for the link.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I'm a huge fan. Thanks for the link!
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]