Interesting new Christmas book. Free to download – LilyPond

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Interesting new Christmas book. Free to download – LilyPond

Post by mikehalloran »

A Collection of Christmas Carols by Benjamin Bloomfield. You can download it for free or buy a print copy. The site even has MIDI files for most of them.

http://acollectionofchristmascarols.com/

It's only been out a few weeks. I found it while searching for PD arrangements to add to a similar book that I have been compiling.

My family has been hosting a carol sing for 35 years and I have been tweaking my book for as long. My book began because I couldn't buy anything that had the versions of holiday songs the way I knew them growing up. I applaud Mr. Bloomfield for this collection.

I found most interesting that he did it in LilyPond. Going to that site, I see that Benjamin Bloomfield is one of the developers. I just don't understand the appeal of a text based notation program even if it is free.
http://www.lilypond.org/text-input.html
The book doesn't look bad, though, kind of like most of the 50+ church hymnals in my collection.

Mine will never be published unless/until I have worked out details on the songs still under copyright and will never be found online. Now when people ask me for a copy, I can point them to this – 2/3 of the old arrangements I use are in it. Many I have never seen online before and my latest copies were printed in the early 1920s. I was planning to release the PD portion but now it's redundant and I am glad.

His claim that there are no known copyright issues isn't quite true but it should be in ten years or so. A certain English publisher may have an issue with arrangements that they first published in 1928. I hope not as those can be found in so many other places.

I wish that I could have bought 40 copies of this a long time ago.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Interesting new Christmas book. Free to download – LilyP

Post by Phil O »

Thanks for that link, Mike.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.