Composer Cloud from EastWest

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
EastWest Lurker
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Composer Cloud from EastWest

Post by EastWest Lurker »

http://www.soundsonline.com/composerclo ... yasher.com

Note btw, this is early access only available to current customers and it is an option, no one is forced to do it.
nk_e

Re: Composer Cloud from EastWest

Post by nk_e »

Interesting model, but gold level instrument access only and it's not clear what happens to existing licenses. Do they switch from perpetual to subscription?

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

EastWest Lurker

nk_e wrote:Interesting model, but gold level instrument access only and it's not clear what happens to existing licenses. Do they switch from perpetual to subscription?
Yes, Gold only, at least initially and if you sign on, you have the option of switching from iLok based perpetual to to subscription or not I believe, but I will double check that.
EastWest Lurker

The 50 products included in Composer Cloud are:
The Dark Side
Fab Four
Ghostwriter
Goliath
Gypsy
Hollywood Strings Gold
Hollywood Brass Gold
Hollywood Orchestral Woodwinds Gold
Hollywood Orchestral Percussion Gold
Ministry Of Rock 1
Ministry Of Rock 2
Silk
Symphonic Choirs Gold
Symphonic Orchestra Gold Strings
Symphonic Orchestra Gold Brass
Symphonic Orchestra Gold Woodwinds
Symphonic Orchestra Gold Percussion
Pianos Gold Bechstein D-280
Pianos Gold Bosendorfer 290
Pianos Gold Steinway D
Pianos Gold Yamaha C7
ProDrummer Spike Stent (April 23)
ProDrummer Joe Chiccarelli (April 23)
Ra
Solo Violin
Spaces (coming in May)
Stormdrum 2 Pro
Stormdrum 3
Voices of Passion
56’ Stratocaster
Adrenaline
BT Breakz
BT Twisted Textures
Drum n Bass
Electronica
Funky Ass Loops
Guitar & Bass
Hypnotica
Ill Jointz
Joey Kramer Drums
Percussion adventures 1
Percussion adventures 2
Phat & Phunky
Public Enemy
Scoring Tools
Smoov Grooves
Steve Stevens Guitar
Stormdrum 1 Loops
Stormdrum 1 MuItiSamples
Symphonic Adventures
dix

Post by dix »

I'm in need of SD3. I think I'ma try this out. It seems a little weird to not actually own the products I use, but this seems to be the way of the future, for better or worse.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

dix wrote:I'm in need of SD3. I think I'ma try this out. It seems a little weird to not actually own the products I use, but this seems to be the way of the future, for better or worse.
It does seem the way of the future doesn't it.

But it's more a difference in pricing than legal status. Although people like to say they "own" a sample library or application, they rarely do. They have a license to use it under specific conditions. And the license is sometimes revokable.

When it comes to something like DP, it's not clear that those of us who always get the paid updates would be worse off with a subscription.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
dix

Post by dix »

I guess it depends on ones usage. I can inivision a time when I won't need my subscribed to, EW instruments. I'm going to feel like a dope paying $30 a month for something I'm not using.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

dix wrote:I guess it depends on ones usage. I can inivision a time when I won't need my subscribed to, EW instruments. I'm going to feel like a dope paying $30 a month for something I'm not using.
$30 a month is a lot if you only plan to use one library. How long are you locked in?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
dix

Post by dix »

Month to month with a $30 initation. Right. If I only use SD3 I start losing money In just 7 months (retail price is $200), but they have several other libraries that I think will be worth my while.
EastWest Lurker

Just to be clear, you can pay month to month or annually, but you are committing to 1 year.
dix

Post by dix »

Thanks for posting EW Lurker.

Oh. That's bit different. I was reading it wrong. I thought you could monthly OR yearly and get a price break for committing to a year. With that in mind I'm not sure this is a good idea.
EastWest Lurker

dix wrote:Thanks for posting EW Lurker.

Oh. That's bit different. I was reading it wrong. I thought you could monthly OR yearly and get a price break for committing to a year. With that in mind I'm not sure this is a good idea.
Well, of course that is a decision for every individual to make but if you do not own many of the libraries the opportunity to use them for a year and then decide which if any you want to purchase seems to me to be a pretty good thing.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Print to audio is my sincere advice. Always may be problems with the “cloud”, internet, your internet service etc. More things can SURELY go wrong with this model compared to having all software in your own single computer. Print to audio in case internet goes “poof” for a few hrs or something else coo coo.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
EastWest Lurker

toodamnhip wrote:Print to audio is my sincere advice. Always may be problems with the “cloud”, internet, your internet service etc. More things can SURELY go wrong with this model compared to having all software in your own single computer. Print to audio in case internet goes “poof” for a few hrs or something else coo coo.
But you understand that once you download a library you are steaming it from your hard drives/SSDs, not from the Composer Cloud?
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

EastWest Lurker wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:Print to audio is my sincere advice. Always may be problems with the “cloud”, internet, your internet service etc. More things can SURELY go wrong with this model compared to having all software in your own single computer. Print to audio in case internet goes “poof” for a few hrs or something else coo coo.
But you understand that once you download a library you are steaming it from your hard drives/SSDs, not from the Composer Cloud?
I, no , I didn;t get that. So what is the fee then, a monthly authorization?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc