I don't even have a good title for this

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

I don't even have a good title for this

Post by mikehalloran »

In case anyone doesn't think there's a formula...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY8SwIvxj8o
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Re: I don't even have a good title for this

Post by stubbsonic »

That was funny, but also kind of nauseating (no offense to country fans). I think that is a good example of why I don't care for that particular genre very much. But perhaps to fans, that was awesome. Who knows.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I listen to a lot of country music (ok, I admit it, I play banjo :shock: ), and I've noticed this as a recent Nashville trend. There seems to be a lot more shared recognizable licks, shall we say, in the new stuff coming out. It's to a point where it's easy to confuse one song with another.

Phil

ps, I realize that I've just opened the floodgates for a deluge of banjo jokes, so be gentle.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

:D
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

OK this isn't an old codger thing, I thought the same thing when I was young, for pop music, (which rock, blues and country fall into the category of if approached from a classical/jazz standpoint in terms of arrangement etc.), there is a definite curve where a genre is good or even great at the beginning, but once the style becomes completely standardized, it becomes a formula and only the part of your brain interested in 'comfort food, mindless TV etc.' can appreciate it.

Early country has all the same intensity of rock without the trappings, (they actually featured banjos sometimes! :) ) now it just sounds like beer commercial music, and it's no surprise it's used in them.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

And that photo of Mike H looks like a beer commercial. Check out the fine amber color of that brew on the table in front of him. Mmmmmm.....beer.

Wait, I recognize those chairs. I have the exact same chairs in my dining room. I'm just babbling. Pay no attention.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I like banjos! Still... I always laugh when I see this one:

JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Ha ha! Too funny Jimbo. Hope you're well, my saviour personified. :wink:
Michael Canavan wrote:OK this isn't an old codger thing, I thought the same thing when I was young, for pop music, (which rock, blues and country fall into the category of if approached from a classical/jazz standpoint in terms of arrangement etc.), there is a definite curve where a genre is good or even great at the beginning, but once the style becomes completely standardized, it becomes a formula and only the part of your brain interested in 'comfort food, mindless TV etc.' can appreciate it.

Early country has all the same intensity of rock without the trappings, (they actually featured banjos sometimes! :) ) now it just sounds like beer commercial music, and it's no surprise it's used in them.
It seems to me it has become much like Christian pop-rock these days. Sounds impressive / classy upon first few encounters, then tends to get lost in a generic caricature of itself. It goes without saying that said caricature is no longer country (IMHO), but more like, well, pop rock.
Phil O wrote:I'm just babbling. Pay no attention.
No danger there, Philly. LOL

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

I heard Scotty Moore once in an interview tell the old joke:

• 'Perfect Pitch: when you throw a banjo into a dumpster and it hits an accordion.'
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Phil O wrote:And that photo of Mike H looks like a beer commercial. Check out the fine amber color of that brew on the table in front of him. Mmmmmm.....beer.

Wait, I recognize those chairs. I have the exact same chairs in my dining room. I'm just babbling. Pay no attention.
I wish that was a beer ad. That would have been fun. Actually it was an extremely hot day in the gold country, well over 100 degrees. That was about the tastiest beer ever.

I was jamming with a friend -- we were both playing our ODE banjos, otherwise I would have had my Vega Pete Seeger. I had around 20 banjos at the time. Now that I no longer play, I'm down to eight including the four I loaned to the museum last year.

That 2009 shot turned out to be the next to last picture of me playing before I became disabled. There's an orchestra shot with me heading a bass section taken a couple of weeks before my stroke.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I only have one right now, It's been with me since my 25th birthday - an old friend. It's an Allison 5 string, serial number 1007 which doesn't seem all that impressive until you realize that the serial numbers started at 1001.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

BKK-OZ wrote:I heard Scotty Moore once in an interview tell the old joke:

• 'Perfect Pitch: when you throw a banjo into a dumpster and it hits an accordion.'
Too funny, BK. :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

I just watched a show about the beginnings of heavy metal. Shopping Black Sabbath's first album they were turned down by everybody because it 'wasn't like anything else out there'. The risk-takers were the ones who opened up new music but- could also fail miserably. We hear about the ones that worked out of course. You know, we can point fingers and criticize, but if you were some young A&R guy trying to feed your family and 3 of your cohorts just got canned last week, you might be looking for the "the next Beatles" "The next Garth Brooks" or whatever instead of blazing some unknown trail that was very likely to get you fired and maybe even ostracized from the whole business. Just a thought alongside the usual ranting we do about this.

Our local "country" station plays the new pop-country, a lot of which I call "70's rock with a twang" (sometimes 80's). I think I would mind it less if they would just name it something beside 'country' and ditto for 'smooth jazz'.

Bandwagons will be bandwagons.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

philbrown wrote:'smooth jazz'
That is one of the lamest terms I've ever heard. I've yet to hear "Smooth Jazz" that sounds anything like real jazz.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4