AMAZING RESOURCE

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
mjmoody
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

AMAZING RESOURCE

Post by mjmoody »

I've been away from Motunation for a while, but I recently found an AMAZING resource that other Motunationers should be aware of. It is a site called "Scribd". This is a subscription site, much like "Spotify" or "Netflix", but it pertains to books. You pay a monthly fee and you can read tons of books. Where it comes in handy for composers is that they have musical SCORES available.

I always like to have "reference" scores, like "Rite of Spring", or "Don Juan" nearby when I orchestrate. I can see them in "Scribd". I imagine the whole publishing world is in the midst of a major shift in how it makes money - and I can't figure out how this works with legal issues, but it sure is a neat resource for a musician! I can type in pretty much any of the standard scores I am interested in, in the "search" box, and they appear. Then I can study these scores to my hearts content.
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15 inch, Early 2013)
2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Digital Performer 8.05
UltraLite (2007)
Komplete 7, Omnisphere, IvoryII, and other VIs
FMiguelez

Re: AMAZING RESOURCE

Post by FMiguelez »

Thanks! I'll have to check it out now :)
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bdr

Post by bdr »

Illegal. A LOT of copyrighted materials.
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bdr wrote:Illegal. A LOT of copyrighted materials.
Are you sure? If this is unauthorized sharing of printed materials, I need to delete this topic!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

It's a paid service. $48 annually for most. You pay extra to read the latest releases on a per volume basis per their agreements with the publishers. So, of course there are copyrighted materials. Why would you pay to read only PD materials freely available on GoogleBooks, ChoralWiki and other sites? If you want scores in the PD, there are many sources.

Are you claiming that there are also pirated materials on the site? If so, please explain how you know this?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Thanks for clarification, Mike. It seems they're legit.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bdr

Post by bdr »

There are many, many scanned PDFs of sheet music on that site...my high school students brought it to my attention. Sorry!

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-t ... ntent.html
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bdr wrote:There are many, many scanned PDFs of sheet music on that site...my high school students brought it to my attention. Sorry!

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-t ... ntent.html
Interesting... I'm slammed with stuff so I don't even have time to read what's at your link. I hope they are policing their own site as they should.

billf

Post by billf »

James Steele wrote:
Are you sure? If this is unauthorized sharing of printed materials, I need to delete this topic!
Scribd has been around a long time and is an ebook service like Amazon or iBooks if you are into that sort of thing. They even have an iPad app in Apple's App Store.

They have an entire section of their FAQ about the DMCA:

http://support.scribd.com/forums/33563- ... t-and-DMCA

They even provide a DMCA form for people to use and submit:

http://support.scribd.com/entries/22980 ... l-template
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bdr wrote:There are many, many scanned PDFs of sheet music on that site...my high school students brought it to my attention. Sorry!

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-t ... nd-e-books. /article/60589-scribd-responds-to-writer-beware-on-pirated-content.html
Interesting article. On one hand, a spokesman from the site explains how they are trying to address copyright issues. These will occur with any site that allows end users to upload.

To counter that is someone with no oar in the water complaining that they aren't doing it fast enough and keeps raising "concerns". A job is always easier for the person who doesn't have to do it.

I don't understand the need to allow users to upload content on a site like this but it's not my business model. It is a way to grow a site rapidly--I'll give it that.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro