Interesting version of Mozart's sonata...

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by FMiguelez »

I just heard this by Yuja Wang, and I think it's quite an interesting take on Mozart's famous sonata movement, played by this BRILLIANT pianist (the video is a slightly off sync with the music):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7izUG6 ... B&index=63

I like some Mozart pieces, but I always thought Scarlatti's piano music was infinitely more interesting. Granted. Chronologically he belonged more to the Baroque period, but he crossed over to the Classical with ease, so his later pieces are comparable to Mozart's.

For instance, listen to this Domenico's beautiful piece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8UXXNL ... 93334901CB

What do you guys think?
And what would Mozart think about this virtuosistic version?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
FMiguelez

Re: Interesting version of Mozart's sonata...

Post by FMiguelez »

On second thought, perhaps I was a bit too harsh about Mozart. His 4-hand piano sonatas are lovely. I used to play this one with my piano teacher in my teens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URj9NoUDD08

(I think Martha and that kid take it a little too fast for my taste, but still nice). My favourite versions of these sonatas were by Jörg Demus and Paul Badura-Skoda.
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I like it but it's no longer Mozart. It's her variation on a theme of WAM. I prefer the original but Mozart himself would,take great liberties with his music.

When i improv on WAM or other composers i try to stay closer to the style of the period than the referenced video. I should upload some of my versions for your critiques.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I prefer the original too, but DAMN, she does play her ass off!

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

That was a amazing. The arrangement was so clever and innovative.

The thing is, that treatments like that are so effective when you have a very familiar piece like that. Your ear hears the those themes popping up everywhere and overlapping in new ways. It is a refreshing tribute.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
stubbsonic

Ravel

Post by stubbsonic »

I've always loved that Ravel piece, "La Valse" - which has so much incredible range of both delicacy and bolt-shearing power. Her piano performance of it sounds like a huge orchestra. Astounding.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Much better version of the K.455

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIAk61xEZ80

FM-just admit it. It's okay. You've got a crush! :love:
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote: When i improv on WAM or other composers i try to stay closer to the style of the period than the referenced video. I should upload some of my versions for your critiques.
Please do, Mike.
I´d LOVE to see/listen to your improvs!
Phil O wrote:...but DAMN, she does play her ass off!
Isn't she amazing and dazzling? 8)

Phil, if you like Yuja Wang, PLEASE listen to this performance.
I think it's one of her best! And that piece is one of the monuments of western music. A master piece played by a master (and beautiful) young pianist.
I love the way she plays those "cascades" at 01:43. Such clarity! She really plays this piece fiercely and brilliantly.
Another highlight happens at 3:25... Wow. The way she feels the music is stunning. I get goose bumps every time I listen to that part.
stubbsonic wrote:That was a amazing. The arrangement was so clever and innovative.
Totally agreed. I love how the main theme is revisited in the left hand right over the C section of the piece.
cuttime wrote:Much better version of the K.455

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIAk61xEZ80
Yes! The video is so much better there.
Is that a different performance? It looks like she's wearing a different hairdo, but she's wearing the same dress...
Lovely, indeed.