Sibelius in ReWire with DP

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
Movies
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Sibelius in ReWire with DP

Post by Movies »

I'm trying to run Sibelius 7.1.3 in ReWire with DP 8.06 in such a way that I can map each Sibelius track to its own track in DP. It seems like I should be able to do this by configuring a custom template in Sibelius which consists of busses I assign using Mac's IAC driver. That said, from reading a bit on line, it seems like, if IAC can't handle it, I might have to dig around for some sort of third-party virtual MIDI cables.

I feel like this should be a fairly straight-forward procedure, but I can't figure it out.

I'd appreciate any thoughts y'all might have!
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel i7/16GB, OSX 10.14.6, DP 10.1, MOTU 896mk3
bayswater

Re: Sibelius in ReWire with DP

Post by bayswater »

If you have IAC active in AudioMIDI setup, DP will see it as a potential source of MIDI. Assuming Sibelius can also see it as a destination, your would set up IAC as a source and destination in exactly the same way as you would set up any other MIDI device.

You could also try DP's own Interapplication MIDI function, available in the Setup Menu. When I've set that up, every other application I've tried can see it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Movies

Post by Movies »

Thanks, bayswater!

I got everything going via Interapplication MIDI (I enabled Multi Record to create inputs for the MIDI tracks in DP), but, for some reason, I can't get Sibelius to run in ReWire.

It WAS running in ReWire fine before I started using the Interapplication MIDI feature.

Have you ever encountered a similar problem?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Movies wrote:Thanks, bayswater!

I got everything going via Interapplication MIDI (I enabled Multi Record to create inputs for the MIDI tracks in DP), but, for some reason, I can't get Sibelius to run in ReWire.

It WAS running in ReWire fine before I started using the Interapplication MIDI feature.

Have you ever encountered a similar problem?
I rarely use Rewire. There is a startup sequence requirement isn't there? For example, for Logic tell me it has to start before DP if I want to use it's Rewire functions.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Movies

Post by Movies »

There's a start-up sequence in that you have to open the host application before the application running in ReWire, but that's, usually, all it takes. I've run Reason in ReWire for years.

Sibelius was previously opening in ReWire before I routed everything via Interapplication MIDI, so I thought it was maybe a thing. I feel like it's probably something I have configured incorrectly on my end.

Thanks again for the help -- routing-wise, your advice got things working exactly how I had hoped.