Notion 5 is out, w/ tight integration w.r.t. StudioOne

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Notion 5 is out, w/ tight integration w.r.t. StudioOne

Post by mhschmieder »

Notion 5 came out a few days ago, and is the first release under the ownership of PreSonus. I'm too broke from my move, so will do this later, but the upgrade is only $49.

The feature list looks intriguing in terms of new workflow that I don't think is addressed elsewhere. I look forward to experimenting with it, as it may become a more important tool that acts more like a hyped up notation editor in a DAW than a pure standalone notation package like Finale or Sibelius.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
nk_e

Re: Notion 5 is out, w/ tight integration w.r.t. StudioOne

Post by nk_e »

Notion is incredibly easy to use relative to Sibelius or Finale. One of the biggest advantages over those two in my book is how easy it is to use alternate sound sources. Setting up Kontakt instruments is a breeze comparatively from what I can recall.

Many here also consider it pretty limited, but for one with simple needs (such as myself), it often fits the bill nicely.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

drjazz930
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by drjazz930 »

Greetings,

I purchased Notion 5, and also the Bundled sounds right when it came out. It's a nice concept, but I've had a LOT of bugs, some which have still not been resolved. Tech support has been VERY good, getting back to me usually the same day, but they still haven't been able to resolve my issues (Win 7 64)
You might want to wait a bit and see if they can iron out these issues before purchasing.......
Edward
FunkyBearMusic
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by FunkyBearMusic »

What is everyone's opinion on Notion? Finale 2012 doesn't work on Yosemite, the company has been bought by a sports company, the 2014 upgrade is $140 and people say it is filled with bugs so I've been looking at alternatives.

Sibelius 7, well, I HATE the ribbon and there was stuff that I didn't like about it besides that.

So I've been looking at Notion, kind of got there because they have what looks like a great classical guitar library by Ben Verdery. It looks really nice overall, but I'm afraid nobody uses it and it will be dead in a few years, plus I have some concerns about inputting left hand fingering text and lack of fingerings for chord diagrams.

Any advice or comments on Notion? Wish there was a demo.
Jeff Tanner
Funky Bear Music
http://www.funkybearmusic.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

Well, I suggest staying with Sibelius 6.2 or Finale 2011.

Having tried Notion 4 for awhile, I had to go back to Sibelius.

Mind you, I'm not using notation progams to worry about amazing 'playback' or anything like that... just for notation and preparing parts and scores.
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

FunkyBearMusic wrote:What is everyone's opinion on Notion? Finale 2012 doesn't work on Yosemite, the company has been bought by a sports company, the 2014 upgrade is $140 and people say it is filled with bugs so I've been looking at alternatives.

Any advice or comments on Notion? Wish there was a demo.
Yes, $140 is the upgrade to 2014 from Finale 2011 or earlier. The Crossgrade price is $139. Yes, really. As I asked Tom and others I know at MakeMusic, ARE YOU F***** KIDDING?!? Even Tom had to admit that "treating strangers better than our own" was a bad move by Marketing. They didn't change it, though.

I am interested in Notion but not excited by it. I'd really want to put it through its paces before committing to yet another notation program that may wind up on the scrap heap.

Finale 2014 works in Yosemite if you don't need any of the features that fail. These didn't work in ML or Mavericks, either but 2010/2011/2012 did. There are rumors of an update that fixes everything, slices bread, makes you a drink and drives your kids to school... We'll see...

In the mean time, 2014 does work for my current needs and Encore 5.0.7 works as well as it ever has, limited as it is.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FunkyBearMusic

Post by FunkyBearMusic »

Yeah I need playback so 2012 is not going to cut it for me. Honestly, if they did the "upgrade for $99" or whatever the bonus deal they used to have in previous years I'd do it, but at $140 with all the reports of problems I'll hold off for now.

In the meantime, I have access to Sibelius 7 at work so I'll probably start playing around with that and see if I can make it useable with the stupid ribbon hidden and keep seeing what I can find out about Notion 5.
Jeff Tanner
Funky Bear Music
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I know this is a little OT, but I did see that Muse Score has a v2.0 out in beta.

Muse would have quite some ground to cover before it was ready for prime time, but what an active community of open-source development. I'm kind of in the middle of a full system revamp, so won't be testing MS v2.0beta, but will start a new thread if it has any worthy surprises.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

FunkyBearMusic wrote:Yeah I need playback so 2012 is not going to cut it for me.
If you don't need the human playback feature, select "none" under HP style and 2012 should work.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
FunkyBearMusic

Post by FunkyBearMusic »

Turning human playback off was still resulting in crashes. I may try installing the 2014 demo and see how it works on the new computer.

I did purchase Notion with the competitive upgrade. Very cool program but I think there are some deal breakers with page layout/staff spacing and some stuff.
Jeff Tanner
Funky Bear Music