display MIDI data in loops

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
insch
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

display MIDI data in loops

Post by insch »

I use loops a lot when I am writing initial sketches for string and brass arrangements etc. Later in the day, as the piece develops I remove the loops and start developing repeats and variations. While it is still in loop form it would be really useful to see the MIDI data in each loop continuously e.g I have a French horn starting at bar 32, playing until bar 40 and then looping. I then have a trumpet staring at bar 60, playing until bar 64 and then looping. I want to see the MIDI data in both loops together to see how they interact harmonically (particularly in MIDI or Quickscribe windows) so I can make changes in relation to other parts. This becomes more important as I add more instruments to an arrangement. Right now, once I've moved beyond the MIDI data contained in a loop, I can't see that MIDI data any more as the loop progresses.

Is there any way of continuing to see the MIDI notes as the loops repeat, even as ghost notes? Or is there a better way to develop arrangements? I don't want to use the Repeat function at this stage until I have made decisions on the initial arrangements.

Thank you
3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 Mac Pro, Mac OS 11.5.2, 64 GB RAM, MOTU 8M, DP 11.01
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: display MIDI data in loops

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

AFAIK the problem is that the data you want to see is in the earlier measures but the wiper can only be in one place at a time. The only way I can think of it to suspend scrolling and keep the looped material visible, but you won't see the wiper - just the data.

Having an independent window for the loops with it's own independent wiper is worth asking for at MOTU.com. I doubt they'll implement it but a lot of people use loops (I'm not one of them) and it does seem like it would be most welcome. Sorry your post went unanswered by others. Maybe they'll see it now and jump in.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS