MasterWriter 3 Released

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
billf
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MasterWriter 3 Released

Post by billf »

Tobor wrote:But this latest news seems to confirm my misgivings with dumping my lyrical eggs into one basket. At some point they'll probably discontinue support for 2.0, thanks for coming, SOL.

Time to copy and paste....but to where?
I've never used MasterWriter, so I don't know if there is something in it you find essential (and since they are moving to "the cloud" means I never will use it). So that said, I use a word processing application for lyrics and create my own database for tracking info. I used to use MS Office, but have since switched over the Libre Office, which while it probably doesn't have everything MasterWriter does, I at least know my files are in an open format.

For rhyming references, there are websites you can use, or get RhymeGenie, or go sort-of-old school and use a rhyming dictionary on your iPad.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

billf wrote:
Tobor wrote:But this latest news seems to confirm my misgivings with dumping my lyrical eggs into one basket. At some point they'll probably discontinue support for 2.0, thanks for coming, SOL.

Time to copy and paste....but to where?
I've never used MasterWriter, so I don't know if there is something in it you find essential (and since they are moving to "the cloud" means I never will use it). So that said, I use a word processing application for lyrics and create my own database for tracking info. I used to use MS Office, but have since switched over the Libre Office, which while it probably doesn't have everything MasterWriter does, I at least know my files are in an open format.

For rhyming references, there are websites you can use, or get RhymeGenie, or go sort-of-old school and use a rhyming dictionary on your iPad.
Yes, thanks for the input, I know I can use Word or Pages or something. I don't really use the rhyming features that often, but with increased MW use I appreciated having songs and notes organized and handy, searchable by date, or with the ability to sort by categories. I enjoy jotting lyrics on legal pads, but have come to appreciate having things typed that can be cut and pasted.

But not enough to risk facing a dead end. It doesn't make much sense to continue using MW when I know I'm just adding to the files that must eventually be moved.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
billf

Post by billf »

Tobor wrote:but with increased MW use I appreciated having songs and notes organized and handy, searchable by date, or with the ability to sort by categories. I enjoy jotting lyrics on legal pads, but have come to appreciate having things typed that can be cut and pasted.

But not enough to risk facing a dead end. It doesn't make much sense to continue using MW when I know I'm just adding to the files that must eventually be moved.
You might benefit then from Libre Office and it's included database capability. It's free and open source. Here's what they have to say about it.
Base comes configured with the full HSQL relational database engine It's an ideal solution for uncomplicated needs, and for people requiring an easy-to-understand, simple-to-use system: the data is stored right inside the Base file, and you also get native support for dBase flat files. Base provides wizards to help users who are new to database design (or just new to Base) to create tables, queries, forms and reports, and it comes supplied with a set of predefined table definitions for tracking assets, customers, sales orders, invoices and many other commonly-useful items.

Base is much more than a tool that can be used for stand-alone purposes: it is also perfectly integrated with the LibreOffice suite's other applications: Base can supply address book data for mail merges in Writer using the LDAP protocol or various address book formats . Base can also be used for creating linked data ranges in Calc files, for data pilot analysis or as the basis for charts.
Hope that helps Tobor.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Thomas.B. wrote:Wait...

"BONUS GIFT! Add your serial number from MasterWriter 2.0...TO YOUR PURCHASE AT MasterWriter.com... and receive a subscription to MasterWriter 3.0 FREE for 2 years! ($150 value).

If I buy MasterWriter 2 from The Writers Store and I don't buy anything at MasterWriter.com (like a 1 year subscription) will I still get a free 2 year subscription? This sort of wording reminds me of the OP's remark that it was not clear from the original update notice that MasterWriter 3 is a web app in the first place.
I called and yes, that's exactly what they are offering.

The MW2 license is like FinalDraft and a few other licenses in that it allows installation on up to 2 computers. To move it to another, you de-authorize online and reauthorize on another. So far so good. The license does not 'phone home' so an internet connection is not required for MW2 to work (or MW1 on a PPC).

If you don't de-authorize before a Time Machine or clone restore, new hard drive or computer - say you forgot or suffered a fatal crash (happened a lot during OS 10.7 - 10.8.2 to me), you have to call MasterWriter support to have your license reset at the server. Certain MW updates caused the program to crash so that the license failed, also. I never had a problem resetting the license but phone support is available only during business hours. FinalDraft was similar but changed for FD9.

Inconvenient? Yes but viable as long as (a) the company is still in business and (b) is still supporting the product on its license server. It's a concern with all such license schemes including those that 'phone home' like the current one for DP 8.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Thomas.B.

Post by Thomas.B. »

mikehalloran wrote:
If you don't de-authorize before a Time Machine or clone restore, new hard drive or computer - say you forgot or suffered a fatal crash (happened a lot during OS 10.7 - 10.8.2 to me), you have to call MasterWriter support to have your license reset at the server. Certain MW updates caused the program to crash so that the license failed, also. I never had a problem resetting the license but phone support is available only during business hours. FinalDraft was similar but changed for FD9.

Inconvenient? Yes but viable as long as (a) the company is still in business and (b) is still supporting the product on its license server. It's a concern with all such license schemes including those that 'phone home' like the current one for DP 8.
The problem is that MasterWriter 2 will no longer be updated in any way. As you have mentioned both 10.7 and 10.8 had some problems that needed to be addressed.

If you stick with your current OS there shouldn’t be any issues. Otherwise you will have to make a choice between the cloud or using copy and paste to get your info out of MasterWriter 2 at one point in the future.

It’s probably a good idea to make a clone of your current OS and verifying that MasterWriter’s license server is still active before installing a new OS in the future. You can use SuperDuper! to create a clone free of charge (you will have to buy a license to do incremental backups). If any OS update breaks MasterWriter you will have to revert to the previous OS and reauthorize your clone just to access your work.

At least with TuneSmith I can always open my backup file in any standard FileMaker version. Given that FileMaker has been around for ages and is owned by Apple I think that is a much safer proposition.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I wrote to the company and received a response that indicted they are open to input. I gave them a bad link to this topic by mistake, but sent the correct one with a reply so maybe they'll comment.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

That would be great to have feedback from MasterWriter.

One of the weaknesses of the program, IMO, is that there is no user board. It's not a complicated program at all meaning there's little need for peer support.

One of the things that user boards do, however, is maintain enthusiasm for a product and provide feedback that inspires a better product.

Although I can understand trying to make MW3 and all-in-one product so that you have the same features on any platform, it has caused 3 to lose some of the functionality of 2. I would much rather they followed the lead of Final Draft: keep full functionality on the desktop while making a fully compatible iOS version available through the App Store.

As for their licensing. Fragile is an apt description. I would prefer the way that Finale does it so that, if your system goes down, you don't have to make a call to support during business hours. I'd be good with iLok, too. Those of us who did contact support were always promised that 3 would have a better license manager... right ... moving everything to the Cloud doesn't do it for me.

I am reminded of the bad old days when Microsoft released Works 3. It and a couple other companies' v.3 were so bad that many others including FileMaker (pre Claris) skipped v.3 in their release cycle. This isn't as bad but I do feel it is a misstep.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

At least with TuneSmith I can always open my backup file in any standard FileMaker version. Given that FileMaker has been around for ages and is owned by Apple I think that is a much safer proposition
as a longtime FileMaker user, I like that.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

mikehalloran wrote:Apparently, they are noticing the pushback.
artfarm1 wrote:I just about bought MasterWriter years ago, and I would love to pick up an older version if possible.

I just got this a few minutes ago:

MasterWriter 2 for Creative Writers for Windows and Macintosh $189

BONUS GIFT! Add your serial number from MasterWriter 2.0 to your purchase at MasterWriter.com and receive a subscription to MasterWriter 3.0 FREE for 2 years! ($150 value).

https://www.writersstore.com/masterwrit ... =240409245 .
I re-read that email. There's a coupon code that knocks it down to $149.95: WORDS50

Offer ends 4/28/2024.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I've been on the sidelines of this discussion so forgive me if I'm repeating any earlier posts.

I don't write words for a living, however, I do a fair amount of that as well. I enjoy the process of searching for the right word and working out more succinct phrases. I gave up rhyming dictionaries years ago as there as easy mental tricks to find those words.

Most of the great literature I've read was written pre-computer and much of that pre-electricity. It just seems that pushing text out like a bowel movement often produces a similar result. Accolades for "writing programs" from current writers of TV and film serves to confirm that. Of course, apps that help formatting for scripts are fine.

I'm done. Start a'shootin' pardner! :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote: Most of the great literature I've read was written pre-computer and much of that pre-electricity. It just seems that pushing text out like a bowel movement often produces a similar result. Accolades for "writing programs" from current writers of TV and film serves to confirm that.
I dunno, I like computers. They help me keep organized. I have every email ever sent or received since 1999. I find that very valuable some days as I'm not much of a diarist.

My GF has take the year to see if she can make it as a writer. She found a MasterWriter-like program that helps her keep her books and stories organized, and has added files for character studies, research, etc. that it keeps organized for her. Also - formats releases for the various ebook formats like nook, kindle, ibook, etc.... It appears to be a nice tool. I would like such a tool for my own songwriting. The rhyming stuff is nice, but not indespensible - especially given the availability of open source rhyming tools like the CMU pronunciation dictionary. IOW, raw materials for everything fancy in MW is available in some kind of open source resource. I'm working on a MW backup importer so I can at least browse my lyrics and recover my demo tracks. If I get ambitious, I'll probably release something free just to screw em back.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
Thomas.B.

Post by Thomas.B. »

SixStringGeek wrote: I'm working on a MW backup importer so I can at least browse my lyrics and recover my demo tracks. If I get ambitious, I'll probably release something free just to screw em back.
That would be very impressive. How did you figure out the encoding? Is it even possible to export your lyrics from the cloud in MasterWriter 3? Someone on their Facebook page asked how to send an audio file to collaborators and was told that audio files are currently not exportable. I assume the same holds true for lyrics especially since they are already encrypted in MasterWriter 2.
MIDI Life Crisis

MasterWriter 3 Released

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Of course, 6 string, whatever works for you. I'd never go back to using just paper for music. Maybe because I'm not a wordsmith writing tools don't excite me? Kind of like your friend who plays a little guitar or piano not needing DP. :) just my preference. I'm positive if I were a screenwriter or playwright I'd be all over every writing program there is. As a sometimes lyricist I just don't need it and my other writing demands are fairly minimal and always rechecked by a "real" writer.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I use it as an organizing tool and rarely refer to the various helpers it incorporates. Can I live without it? I think I've made it clear that I can but I like MW2. Yes, I'm up for an export tool but I back up my lyrics (copy/paste to Word) and have never used the audio functions.

To me, MW (1) was like AudioDesk 1 - functional but limited. MW2 was like DP 5.13 - pretty good and I can live with it if that's as good as it gets. MW3 is, to me, DP 6 - pass.

What I would consider an upgrade would be the ability to do simple lead sheets w/ chords (1,2 and 3 staves), via MIDI in, add audio and be able to export to Finale, Sibelius - via Music XML is ok - plus be able to export the MIDI to DP.

In addition, I want what Final Draft users want: the ability to use it as a collaborative tool - sort of like GoogleDocs with the tools. 80% of all songs I have written involve collaborators.

I don't want to be one of those ranters who declares that, since it wasn't done my way, I am done with Master Writer. I hope that a future update is better and, if it is, I am back in.
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

mikehalloran wrote:I use it as an organizing tool and rarely refer to the various helpers it incorporates. Can I live without it? I think I've made it clear that I can but I like MW2. Yes, I'm up for an export tool but I back up my lyrics (copy/paste to Word) and have never used the audio functions.

I don't want to be one of those ranters who declares that, since it wasn't done my way, I am done with Master Writer. I hope that a future update is better and, if it is, I am back in.
+1.

I could do without MasterWriter but I've come to really enjoy working with it. I like the layout.

I just don't want to wake up one day and find all my files inaccessible because of a system update or something and have the license support gone.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.