Third International Film Music Competition

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
PierreFunck
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Third International Film Music Competition

Post by PierreFunck »

I'd like to share the information about the third edition of the film music competition -- I'm one of the organisers...

Participants are invited to score a 6-minute short film for symphony orchestra. The five best compositions will be world-premiered by the Tonhalle Orchestra on October 1st, 2014, in Zurich. On the same evening, the winner will be chosen by an international jury and awarded the Golden Eye “Best International Film Music” endowed with CHF 10000.

The terms and conditions of the competition and the film to be scored can be downloaded on the competition website: http://www.filmmusiccompetition.ch

Cheers
Pitt

P.S. Good news: there is no more age limitation!
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Third International Film Music Competition

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

How much is CHF 10 ,000?

Glad to see the age requirement gone. Well done!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

It'll cost about $125.84 to enter the competition.

If you win, it would be about $11,413.57 (according to my Mac currency calculator).
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
MIDI Life Crisis

I'm in! :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I might give it a shot too.

I'm so glad they took the age limit off as well. Didn't make much snese...
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

FMiguelez wrote:I might give it a shot too.

I'm so glad they took the age limit off as well. Didn't make much snese...
You're not making any snese, FM.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Tritonemusic wrote:
You're not making any snese, FM.
He has a code.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Damn! I must be out of my sneses :lol:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
PierreFunck

Post by PierreFunck »

Tritonemusic wrote:It'll cost about $125.84 to enter the competition.

If you win, it would be about $11,413.57 (according to my Mac currency calculator).
Actually the entry fee is 75 EUR (about 104 USD). If you register before May 30th, there is a reduced early-bird fee of 50 EUR (about 70 USD)!

Cheers
Pitt
MIDI Life Crisis

I'm still on the fence but starting to go back towards not entering. Entry fees bother me on one level but they do allow for larger prizes. The movie is cute and pretty well done. Not Pixar, but still clever and moves well. Kind of falls flat in the end IMO, and I don't really know what kind of use they're intending. Is it for an actual store or an art piece? That would certainly change my approach. I haven't gone thru the rules yet but a buyout would be out of the question for the amount offered, and besides, I have a few projects in the works so the timing isn't ideal either. But if you got the bucks and the rules don't rape your royalties, it could be a good deal for a startup composer.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
PierreFunck

Post by PierreFunck »

Sorry for the fee, but carrying out this competition is quite expensive and unfortunately depends on the income from the entry fees...

The film is a graduation film, and the store "Maximall" is fictitious. (I just googled "Maximall": there are "Maximall" brands in Turkey and Italy, which have nothing to do with the the one in the film.)

It's not a buyout, the only thing is that -- if you get nominated -- you grant Zurich Film Festival the exclusive rights to perform your piece until October 31st. They quite obviously want to ensure that the performance on October 1st really is a world premiere.

Hope that helps
Pitt
MIDI Life Crisis

That's a very reasonable usage rule. Thank you. It could even be a bit more liberal towards the competition organization, IMO. If I were to enter (I'm still considering) it would take a lot of work to score it the way I'd want to. I have the resources and ideas to make it happen, but now the final question is one of time. I have scoring projects that are mid-production and startups coming on their heels. Still, I'm not so overworked that I couldn't throw a few hours into it and see what developes.

Thanks so much for your info on the competition. It's nice to see an organization that doesn't want to just take all and leave the composer holding his (conductor's) stick in his hand as he leaves the building. LOL.

:)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I am glad to hear of these changes, and happy for anyone who participates (whether they win or not). I hope this sets a trend. :-)

I've been rather absorbed by my day job (and movie soundtrack work) the past two years, so unfortunately have to skip this one. I like competitions in one sense because they provide a clear deadline, and I always work best under deadline pressure.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Between my day gig and book, I don't have the time. Too bad because it looks like fun.

If my daughter wants to enter, I'll pay the entrance fee for her. She's working on a Master's in composition and I am all for anything that gives her real world experience.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro