Is there an App to let you know if you've stolen a song?

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
NealF
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Is there an App to let you know if you've stolen a song?

Post by NealF »

As composers we sometimes write things that are close or exactly like something we've heard before. Unconsciously, of course.

I know Sound Hound will recognize tracks, but I think it recognizes the wave form, not the melody. Not sure about that, though.

What I'd like is an app that you can sing or play into and have it turn up anything that's close to what you've sung. This way you can check to see if you're unwittingly stealing something.

Anybody know of such a thing?
MacPro5,1 6-Core Intel Xeon, Processor Speed: 3.46 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 6
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 12 MB
Memory: 32 GB. Mojave. DP 9 and Apogee Duet.
Tritonemusic

Re: Is there an App to let you know if you've stolen a song?

Post by Tritonemusic »

I've never tried the specific feature, but SoundHound does claim to let you sing or hum a melody into it. Really don't know how well it does that job. I use it on my phone to identify things I hear on the radio, and it does that very well.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
frankf

Post by frankf »

How many times I've heard a melody or snippet of one in a film or TV background that pops out as something I wrote 10 years ago. And from where did I get my unique and original idea?

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

I tried singing "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" (I have no idea why that was the first song that came to mind) into SoundHound, and it worked! I didn't sing the lyrics. Just the notes of the melody.

P.S. I can't sing worth a shi!t.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
NealF

Post by NealF »

I tried singing a new melody I wrote into Sound Hound. It didn't recognize it. But it is possible to write something that's very close to some hit from the past without realizing it.
If it's just a few notes off I don't think Sound Hound would be able to detect that.

It probably would take a different kind of app that has a database of melodies and a way to come up with close matches. Don't think SH can do that.
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

I'd choose not to. I think it would just fuel this unnecessary concern about originality that has never been realistic since the dawn of composition. I can't remember any historical incidents where someone unknowingly plagiarized a tune and was sued for it, maybe there is an odd case here and there and I just don't know about it, but I think you're more likely to get hit by lightening. And if not legal reasons, then pride? This is what most of composition is. Like it or not, a huge part of composition is standing on the shoulders of other influences. I heard one lecturer say over 90%, I don't know how you can come up with a number, but I do believe it's substantial. That isn't new and maybe it never should be. I already believe that composers and producers end up tying themselves up in ethical concerns when our basic focus should simply be to make good music. Maybe a melody isn't entirely original, but I bet anything that the arrangement will be, and it won't be exact. So at the end of the day, it's a worthwhile addition to our collective artistry.

I've suspected for some time now that a news theme I wrote about 6 years ago was largely influenced by a theme from an obscure video game I played when I was a kid. I have no intention of going back and checking. Yes, it gnaws at me from time to time, but so do my self doubts brought on by social anxiety and minor depression, and it's about as relevant.

If you're deliberately copying without making an effort to modify it, only then should you spend the energy on worrying. Otherwise, it's my personal opinion that we should just let creativity take it's course, subconscious (or even semi-conscious) copying and all.

I'll even share a little secret. On occasion I even know when I'm copying. Usually they're very small things, a motif here and there, I realize where it's from. I use to worry about it, but I've decided not to anymore. If it's the best thing for the overall work, and it's not some extremely major part, then I think it's pretty normal. A full unchanged melody or major section? Not a chance.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Prime Mover wrote:I can't remember any historical incidents where someone unknowingly plagiarized a tune and was sued for it,
Wikipedia article on musical plagiarism lists 22 successful suits, 9 unsuccessful, and 17 unsettled allegations. I doubt these were all intentional.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
billf

Post by billf »

Prime Mover wrote:I can't remember any historical incidents where someone unknowingly plagiarized a tune and was sued for it
George Harrison?
Bright Tunes Music v. Harrisongs Music finally went to the United States district court on 23 February 1976, to hear evidence on the allegation of plagiarism. Harrison attended the proceedings in New York, with a guitar, and each side called musical experts to supports its argument. As author Dominic Pedler notes, both of the songs have a three-syllable title refrain ("My sweet Lord", "He's so fine") followed by a 5-3-2 descent of the major scale in the tonic key (E major for "My Sweet Lord" and G major for "He's So Fine"); respective tempos are similar: 121 and 145 beats per minute. In the respective B sections ("I really want to see you" and "I dunno how I'm gonna do it"), there is a similar ascent through 5-6-8, but the Chiffons distinctively retain the G tonic for four bars and, on the repeat of the motif, uniquely go to an A-note 9th embellishment over the first syllable of "gonna". Harrison, on the other hand, introduces the more complex harmony of a relative minor (C#m), as well as the fundamental and distinctly original slide-guitar motif. After reconvening in September 1976, the court found that Harrison had "subconsciously" copied the earlier tune, since he admitted to having been aware of the Chiffons' recording.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Sweet_Lord
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
NealF

Post by NealF »

Prime Mover, you make some good points.

I'm not really worried. I'd just like to know if I'm too close to something. It's easy to make a little change and be able to avoid some snide criticism. Wouldn't be something I'd get crazy about, just think it might be helpful in certain occasions.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I heard one lecturer say over 90%, Its a known fact that 93.77% of all such statistics are made up.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
crduval

Post by crduval »

This reminds me that a year or two ago I stumbled across some YouTube clips of a regional band that I loved when I was in college. I clicked on a few videos, really enjoying hearing these tunes that I had since forgotten about when suddenly I realized that one of them had a verse section that was uncomfortably close to a song that I had written and performed regularly with my own band 15 years ago! It wasn't the same but it was close (the first two verse chords were exactly the same chords, inversions, tempo and even the arrangement was virtually identical); close enough make me think that I must have subconsciously copied it. It freaked me out a little and I began seriously questioning my originality. I now of no other case where I had done anything like that but it was a very unsettling feeling.

It wasn't a practical problem since that song never went anywhere, but still...

They were both great tunes though![SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Good topic. I'm always nervous about this, and send things to a few select people (including on this forum) to find out if I subconsciously stole another song. Great to hear that there are at least some things to consider in terms of new technology to help us find out if we're "at risk".
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
NealF

Post by NealF »

I agree.

I'm no programmer but I think it would be a big seller to have something that could show you if you're close to something already published. With Sound Hound I'm pretty sure you'd have to sing it exactly. So if a couple of notes were different it probably wouldn't show up as a match to anything.
bongo_x

Post by bongo_x »

NealF

Post by NealF »

Wow. Great video! Thanks.