Scanning into finale help needed

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Scanning into finale help needed

Post by mikehalloran »

Nigel Keay wrote:It involved exporting as an .ps file (I don't think there was a save to pdf option). I then transferred the .ps file via a memory stick from one computer (OS 9.04) to the other (OSX). It took a while to find the settings that worked, but I have it written down somewhere and should be able to dig it out.
OS 9 doesn't have the option to save as .pdf unless there's a third party program with that ability.

Likewise, you may have to hunt a bit to find something that opens .ps in OS 0 or X files but plenty of programs do including almost anything from Adobe such as Photoshop Elements (v.6 still works in Mavericks, btw). Lots of shareware and some freeware will as well.

SmartScoreX2 likes .tiff files the best, it turns out and will import them directly. If you ignore the instructions about scanning scores directly (haven't worked since 10.6) and go to using Image Capture*. Scan to 300dpi grey scale .tiff (Black and White if an HP scanner), SCX2 works ... how can I put it ... as advertised? Yes.

Although I bought the upgrade for my Christmas book project and it worked well, I wound up using it very little for other reasons. Still, I was glad to see it working and, no doubt, there will be other projects. Since I expense software and updates to the particular project, it's paid for.

Now I am looking for a project that will pay for my Finale 2014 upgrade...

*Image Capture works properly with any Apple compatible scanner, wired or wireless since OS 10.8.2. It is problematic with OS 10.6 through 10.8.1. In a couple of builds, it barely works at all. It is part of the OS and found in your Applications Folder.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Scanning into finale help needed

Post by mikehalloran »

Rather than create a new thread...

I got this yesterday. It's more of a bug fix/compatibility update than anything else.

Apparently, there is a new build for all paid versions. I don't know about the "Lite" version bundled with Finale.

Download your copy of SmartScore X2 Version 10.5.8
It's our biggest update ever and it's free !

Our engineers have been working hard this past year to improve SmartScore recognition, editing, playback and MusicXML export functionality.
All that work has paid off and now, you get to enjoy the benefits.

Click here to see a list of improvements in version 10.5.8
http://www.musitek.com/UpdateFixes.html
Click here to go directly to the SmartScore X2 free updates page
http://www.musitek.com/updates.html

You'll be glad you stepped up to 10.5.8 !

NOTE: Installing this update will count as an additional installation. If you encounter a message indicating you've reached your limit of 5 installations, send a request for more installations to: tech@musitek.com

Cheers.
Musitek Customer Service
admin@musitek.com
www.musitek.com
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro