Wallander releases look-ahead NotePerformer for Sibelius

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Wallander releases look-ahead NotePerformer for Sibelius

Post by mhschmieder »

http://www.noteperformer.com/

Here's the vi-control discussion, which is very informative as it has a lot of Q&A with the developer:

http://www.vi-control.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33564

I am posting this for the community; I do not own Sibelius (I bought Finale instead) and haven't had time to delve deeply into this new product yet. I imagine it will stir up passionate feelings on both sides, but suspect its primary audience is meant to be music students vs. professionals.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
bayswater

Re: Wallander releases look-ahead NotePerformer for Sibelius

Post by bayswater »

I don't know what to make of this. To me, this sounds like what you'd get if you found a downloadable MIDI file of the Sugar Plum Fairy, and played it through GB.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

The demos sure do sound a 'cut above' a lot of libraries, indeed. As they advertise, this could really be useful for hearing your own work/orchestration being played back with a minimum of fuss at a moments notice as your writing away to check some things out.

I don't see it replacing any of the 'heavyweight' libraries as far as very intense mock-ups or creating super-realistic sample scores, but I think I'll be a future buyer just to save creative time and to hear excellent score playback.
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I didn't like the Sugar Plum demo but rarely write that kind of music; the other demos (possibly added since we first started talking about this product, and also likely with an older and inferior version) impress me quite a bit in terms of acceptable results for early stages of writing so that time can be saved vs. an early rush to dealing with articulation-splitting and the like for MIDI mockups.

I am almost tempted to finally do the Sibelius cross-grade just to get Note Performer 1.5:

http://www.noteperformer.com/?mode=

Please note that this latest version represents about eighteen additional months of development from Wallander vs. what we all made our initial evaluations against.

It's not clear whether the WIVI instruments are embedded in this product in any form, for the instruments that WIVI covers.
Last edited by mhschmieder on Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I must be missing something here. I'm using Finale and it has had score playback for years and you're not limited to built in libraries. I thought Sibelius had it too. No? Or am I really missing something?

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Yeah, you're missing something, from what I can tell based on Wallander's write-up.

The Wallander product does a lot more analysis of the score vs. requiring you to get to sort of an intermediary MIDI mock-up stage to access different articulations of external libraries (though I believe some of those templates allow for assigning criteria for articulation-switching).

At any rate, it's interesting how their shoot-out is most prominent when comparing NotePerformer to Sibelius default rendering, with Finale already sounding way better than Sibelius but not as realistic as NotePerformer.

I haven't had a chance to work deeply with the VSL template in Finale yet, so maybe it will turn out to be as or more effective. But if NotePerformer is a huge time saver at the earliest stages of a project, it would be worth it.

Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Thanks for that clarification. I don't do much with VI's and when I do it's mostly in DP. I use the playback in Finale just to check my work and then do all the heavy lifting in DP, so I wasn't thinking in those terms. Finale's Human Playback is interesting, but I haven't really played around with it much. I wonder how it compares to this.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

In case someone comes across this older topic, note that NotePerformer 3 was released this week and has been significantly extended.