VSL Solo Instruments Question

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
wrathy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

VSL Solo Instruments Question

Post by wrathy »

Hi.

I posted this over in the VSL forum, and thought I would post here as well, to get the MOTUNATION perspective.

Long story short: working on a woodwind quintet, thought I'd demo some of the sections.

I'm working with the full WWinds I collection.

In passages where there is just one instrument playing all by itself, any legato phrases with say 8th notes or shorter durations that have any cres/dim between mf-f (so, VX-fade values of bten 70-100) create this effect of "two" instruments, as the samples cross-fade between the "loud" and "softer" samples. I get that (and this was confirmed by multiple users).

Everyone commented on "use the dynamic samples" which I do with great frequency (holy key switches batman). But if you have running 8th's or 16ths for say 2-4 bars where there is cres/dim, you are SOL, correct? I mean Vel X-Fade is the only thing that will help you here. I have tried with the Combi_Cre9 Matrix, but that is not what this is for (since these are staccato and portato articulations)

So all you VSL/Synth-y-strating genius types, how do you do something where the instrument is REALLY exposed and the cross fading bugs you? It seems to me that the way to do this is judicious use of CC 2 (VelXFade) and CC 11 (Expression).

best
MAIN: MacPro 3GHz 8 core, 18G RAM, OS 10.6.8 DP 7.24, 2408 Mk III, 2408 mk II, MIDI Express XT, UAD-1, SLAVE: MacPro 3GHz 4 core, 10 G RAM. Libraries: VSL :SE/SE+, App Strings, Woodwinds, Sonic Implants Strings, EWQLSO (platinum) StormDrum II, Ministry of Rock, Motu MX 4, MACH V, NI Komplete 6, w/ plenty o' sample libs, Triton Rack, TX 81Z, Yamaha WX7, assorted woodwinds, drums, Yamaha P22 Piano
Frodo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: VSL Solo Instruments Question

Post by Frodo »

wrathy wrote:...But if you have running 8th's or 16ths for say 2-4 bars where there is cres/dim, you are SOL, correct?...
Sort of SOL.
wrathy wrote:It seems to me that the way to do this is judicious use of CC 2 (VelXFade) and CC 11 (Expression).
If you're doing a running passage, then you might try using the fast repetition and/or performance legato patches in that one spot, and yes-- with lots of clever CC11.

I would also recommend experimenting with Velocity Keyswitches.

That mid-range chorusing on X-Fade is the one bummer with VSL because I often want to use that part of the dynamic range and can't. Fortunately, there is plenty enough to choose from with this library. Something in there *will* work with enough experimentation.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52