Competition - no age limit

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Competition - no age limit

Post by mikehalloran »

Berkeley Symphony
EarShot Under Construction
February 2-3 & May 4-5, 2014
submission deadline: August 30, 2013

http://www.earshotnetwork.org/berkeley.html

Interesting rules. They are looking for less experienced with major orchestras but there is no age restriction. No application fee either. US residents or students studying in the USA.

Tell your friends; tell your students.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mhschmieder

Re: Competition - no age limit

Post by mhschmieder »

Thanks for the info -- that's a rather short span of time for us working adults though, so I think it is still effectively self-limited to college students home for the summer break.

The requirements list is almost identical to the one that the Berkeley Chorus has been using for years for their competitions. I hope to eventually enter that one, if I can ever find time to work on and complete my first Mass (many sketches by now, but it's a low priority).

I've been to the Berkeley Symphony's Under Construction concert a few seasons, but not recently. I was quite impressed the few times, regardless of taking age and experience into consideration (though some were still in high school!).

One of our summer interns is a composition major at Stanford, so I should pass this info on to her (if she doesn't already have it).
Last edited by mhschmieder on Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Fact is, all they're offering is a reading with mandatory attendance to rehearsals, composer supplied parts, and no mention of any prize or compensation. IMO, not really worth the effort and interpretation of the word "emerging" is a red flag. How many emerging composers are over 35?

It's a win-win for the promoter and a bend-over-backwards for the contestants. Clearly there are better ways to spend your time seeking work and promotion.

IMO.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Very good points, and I am not hurting for work (which is -- even more than my day job -- why I'm too busy to prepare something in time for their deadline). I do hope to eventually enter the more traditional concert repertoire but I'm more likely to get to that goal through continued film and theatrical staging work than by entering competitions.

Hmm, emerging composers after the age of 35? I guess it depends on how you define "emerging". I'll look this up later, but Borodin might have qualified, as he was similarly preoccupied with a full-time-plus-overtime career as a working professional (chemist in his case). Borodin has always provided hope for me, as my mainline career threw me off track compositionally until my early 40's, when I left the computer industry for the more sympathetic and accommodating (though hours remain long) audio industry.

Even so, for those just finishing college and who may not yet have a network of clients, this competition might be worthwhile, if only for getting them in the habit of working against tight deadlines and learning how to structure the decision-making process. :-)
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Can't touch that! :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I have little interest in it myself but ya never know... The idea of being mentored at my age. Ha!

I would like if my daughter the composition major submitted something. She's the blonde in my picture.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro