Questions on Finale, DP's Quickscribe etc.

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Questions on Finale, DP's Quickscribe etc.

Post by Michael Canavan »

So I'm taking a course in Music Theory.
I've had a super basic understanding so it's great to get more of a handle on things!
The teacher recommends I get Finale, and I'm now torn here. I do mostly simple arrangement experimental electronic noise with odd time signatures and off keys.

Printmusic has some limitations and if after the course I'm not at all interested in keeping around a dedicated sheet music workstation/composer it's not sellable. The full version of Finale is. I was thing DPs Quickscribe would do, but every time I try to use it just adding simple quarter notes by pencil even it spits out one quarter and two eighth notes tied?? :shake:

So, is Quickscribe really that bad or am I doing something wrong? Is Print music completely cut down to where it will be useless for my needs considering my penchant for 7/4, 5/4, 9/4 etc. and my atonal melodies?
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Questions on Finale, DP's Quickscribe etc.

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

FWIW, my feeling is it's better to have the tools you need from the start instead of having to get them later. You can sell Finale if you don't use it, but I can tell you that even after 40+ years pf writing music, there's still more to learn and FInale often is as much a teaching aid as it is a notation aid.

I can't speak to SmartMusic as I don't own it, but if it were me, I'd go with Finale, especially since you probably qualify for an educational discount. I believe that the 2014 version due out later this year will be 64 bit.

It's an amazing app and I cannot recommend it highly enough.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Michael Canavan

Thanks MLC, I had a feeling that just buckling to the full version makes the most sense in a theory class. downloading the demo. I think it's a no brainer, it will help me to learn the sheet music part of theory, which is actually the tougher part for me. I haven't read sheet music since the 7nth grade. :shock:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
MIDI Life Crisis

Well, the output of Finale is stunning, IMO. In a good way, that is. Sibelius is also an option but I personally detest the program. There are also some questions about the viability of the app (it was bought out by Avid a few years ago, you know, the good folks who brought you Pro Tools and that wonderfully unreliable M-Audio stuff...)

If you have the chance to get classes in Finale in concert (pun intended) with music theory, I'd say jump on it.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Well, the output of Finale is stunning, IMO. In a good way, that is. Sibelius is also an option but I personally detest the program. There are also some questions about the viability of the app (it was bought out by Avid a few years ago, you know, the good folks who brought you Pro Tools and that wonderfully unreliable M-Audio stuff...)

If you have the chance to get classes in Finale in concert (pun intended) with music theory, I'd say jump on it.
What MLC said. Finale has a deep learning curve but has become more user friendly over the past 2 decades or so.

Finale 1.0 on the original Mac 128 was painful...very painful...

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Michael Canavan

One more clarifying question.
Finale comes in a couple versions, the two main being:
Finale 2012
and Finale Printmusic.

The differences are pretty small from what I can tell:
http://www.finalemusic.com/products/com ... -products/

So the full version is $400 (online)- can be sold if you're so inclined.
Printmusic is $115 - cannot be sold.
If any of you have a moment to look at the differences and tell me if you see any major drawbacks to PrintMusic that would be appreciated. :)
MIDI Life Crisis

I can't tell you about PM except I see a lot of folks on the Finale forum who get frustrated with it when it just can't do some of the cool things the full program can.

Thinks of it as the "Audiodesk" version of Finale. It'll do lead sheets, but then again so will Quickscribe.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Michael Canavan

OMFG! My hemming and hawing actually paid off! :shock:
Make Music just sent me an email saying that for the next three days I can upgrade my copy of their free notation software Finale Notepad to Finale 2012 for $99.95! :shock: :shock: :shock:

This a great, usually nothing like this ever happens to me.
Buying Finale 2012 now. :headbang:
MIDI Life Crisis

Excellent. MakeMusic is, IMO, a great company. Not everyone will agree but they've always been very good to me as a customer. Tech support is responsive and the uses forum is very helpful.

http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=6&r=x
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Michael Canavan

I agree Make Music are a good outfit. I have GPO 4 and the upgrade from version 1 was $49!
I like any company that charges 50% or less for upgrades, 25% is like a reward for being a customer, that's IMO how it should be. That companies release products with some bugs, long times between upgrades and updates, there are all kinds of reasons I'm not aware of as a non programmer for those. Decent upgrade prices? that's the sign of an ethical company IMO.
MIDI Life Crisis

And like MOTU, sometimes they release updates that are really new versions with new features. My only complaint with Finale is that it's kind of top heavy with "educational" features, but if that keeps them in business I'll just ignore those.

Expect a learning curve. When I started with it in 1996 it was my first big orchestral score (for the Olympics) and I basically had to learn the basics of the program in three days. It's doable. Now, years later, I'm still learning the program, but it's also easy to get very fluent.

If you don't yet have Quickeys, I suggest you get it. Also, a multi-button mouse or trackball is highly recommended. I have a Magic Trackpad but it just sits there collecting dust. Someday I'll find the time to figure it out but I'm really still not comfortable with it.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Michael Canavan

Oh believe me I'm well aware I'm going to have quite a learning curve. Prior to the current theory class I hadn't looked at notation since the 7th grade!

I don't expect to fully be comfortable with writing music in Finale until probably 2014 simply because I'm going to be re-learning notation and learning theory as I learn Finale.
MIDI Life Crisis

Well do post your questions here and on the Finale forum. We love to show off! :) Seriously, some very knowledgeable folks in both sites when it comes to composition and theory... and Finale. Maybe those educational tools could come in handy as well?

Why am I so excited that you are getting Finale? :rofl:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Michael Canavan

Hey I'm the same way when I convince someone to use DP over other DAWs or to play an instrument in general. Every time someone learns something new it's possible that the quality of music you hear from other people goes up. I think most musicians like their own music, but it's a wholly different experience to hear a track you didn't write and enjoy the ride. Not that I'm going to be that guy, but the more people get a deeper understanding of music the more it's possible that that guy shows up.

Expect some pretty basic questions about theory in the future, don't slap me too hard! :oops:
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I can upgrade my copy of their free notation software Finale Notepad to Finale 2012 for $99.95!
Jump on it! That's less than the official upgrade price from my copy of Finale 2011!
Sibelius is also an option but I personally detest the program
Amen to that.

Yes, Finale has a bit of a learning curve but you will find that your common tasks are fairly quick to learn. It is no more difficult to use one handed than Encore. Unfortunately, that is the way I must use it.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro