Transcribing method (audio and notation; DP and Sibelius)

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
artfarm1
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Transcribing method (audio and notation; DP and Sibelius)

Post by artfarm1 »

I do a lot of transcribing (writing horn charts, making up horn arrangements, creating rhythm charts, etc.) and like to work with a recording of the tune, song, singer, etc. if possible in order to do it right.

I've hit upon a method using DP and Sibelius that allows me, in Sibelius, to have the imported audio file (as a 'Movie') and a matching scorepage play along in sync with each other (with downbeats lining up)..... making for easier transcribing and less hassle than using a separate sound source.

Maybe it's been covered before, but here's my method if it might help you out too:

Creating a Conductor Track w/Audio File play-a-long for use in Sibelius

Object: to create a DP audio track (which will become the MIDI conductor tempo track) by clapping hands (or playing rhythm sticks) along with the audio file to be transcribed. This new track will become the tempo track in Sibelius in order to have audio and score page play in sync with each other

In DP8:
- find the metronomic 'rough tempo' of the audio file to be transcribed, and set this tempo in the DP8 sequence tempo setup slider (set a relatively very close beats per measure)
- import the audio file which is to be transcribed
- using the 'Sequence' window, line up the beginning strong beat of the audio file waveform to start on the downbeat of bar 2, 3, or 4 (or whatever might seem best depending on the individual file and any possible pick ups that might lead into beat 1)
- set DP8 Click to 'only during countdown' (so you can get 'in sync' for clapping along with track); then:
- record a new Mono Audio file (start clapping in time with the Audio File right from the count-in and continue clapping right over the first couple of blank measures before the actual audio file begins on a down beat); clap and record all the way through the track; then:
- do 'Analyze Soundbite Tempo'
- put DP8 in 'Conductor' mode
- do 'Adjust Sequence to Soundbite Tempo'
- select whole Conductor track and export this track as a MIDI file
- do a 'Bounce' of the whole original Audio file track (right from beat 1 to the end of the audio file, in order to correspond to the Conductor track)

In Sibelius:
- open new file; choose the newly created MIDI file (ie: the Conductor track from DP8).... you'll get a blank score page show up.
- create some Instrument staves to go on this new score page
- then 'select all'; go to 'Layout' / Auto Breaks; use 'system auto breaks' and set it to 4 or 8 bars per system
- import the newly bounced DP8 audio file (it is imported as a 'Movie')
- playback and check for alignment, but everything should be in sync right from the beginning to the end
- use rehearsal letters or change bar numbers to reflect offset audio starting time
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com
stubbsonic

Re: Transcribing method (audio and notation; DP and Sibelius

Post by stubbsonic »

I do lots of transcriptions and arrangement work with DP as well.

Sometimes a recording was done to a click, then it's just finding the right tempo and adjusting it, to the last decimal until it's locked al the way to the end.

Otherwise, I record a tempo using the conductor track and tap tempo. It's a little wonky because sometimes DP just doesn't play the audio track for "a while" other times it comes right in. -- though I haven't had this issue recently. I just keep hitting record until the audio plays right away. If the tempo is really rubato with no cues, it sometimes takes some practice or edits.

Depending on how tight I want the click to be, I might go into that little-shop-of-tedium that is the Conductor's Graphic Window. Anyone who has tried to click on a microscopic "T" knows what I'm talking about. I might drag some low tempos up and some high tempos down, checking to make sure it all stays in the pocket.

I've tried some of the other automated ways, but they have NEVER (never) worked for me. This one always gets it done in about 15 minutes.

Having the track locked while I enter & edit MIDI is super-helpful.

I start by recording in MIDI tracks while listening to the track. Then I turn the MIDI tracks of (leaving the VI on). I watch the MIDI graphic window while I listen. I've gotten good at seeing a wrong note (i.e., the visual doesn't match the audio).

When I'm making charts, I quantize both attacks & releases so the notation looks right.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
ritzybiz

Post by ritzybiz »

I just sync Sibelius to DP with rewire. Works perfectly. Follows all tempo changes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
iMac 2019, 40 GB RAM
MacBook Pro, 16GB, OSX 10.11
DP10, Studio One, PT, Logic X, Sibelius, Live, Reason
Apogee Duet, Apogee Ensemble
artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

re: ReWire w/Sibelius

Agreed, that works for certain occasions, and if the DP 'Beat Analysis' did a great job (depending on the waveforms of the particular music.)

Just me, but I don't want to spend an hour or so dickering around moving beats, reanalyzing waveforms, etc, etc., just for a transcribing job of a pop tune. I'd rather just do the 'Conductor track' recording, and be done with it and get to the music.

'Many roads to Rome'!
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com
ritzybiz

Post by ritzybiz »

artfarm1 wrote:re: ReWire w/Sibelius

Agreed, that works for certain occasions, and if the DP 'Beat Analysis' did a great job (depending on the waveforms of the particular music.)

Just me, but I don't want to spend an hour or so dickering around moving beats, reanalyzing waveforms, etc, etc., just for a transcribing job of a pop tune. I'd rather just do the 'Conductor track' recording, and be done with it and get to the music.

'Many roads to Rome'!
I agree and we should all use the method that suits us best.
I would like to mention, however, that I use Record Beats to tap in a tempo, Adjust Beats to fix any rough taps, and for a normal length song it takes about 5 mins. Works for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
iMac 2019, 40 GB RAM
MacBook Pro, 16GB, OSX 10.11
DP10, Studio One, PT, Logic X, Sibelius, Live, Reason
Apogee Duet, Apogee Ensemble