New software for generating a score while you play

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

New software for generating a score while you play

Post by mhschmieder »

This is worth a trial run if there's a demo available:

http://www.ilio.com/products/doremir-so ... orecleaner

If it performs as claimed, in certain circumstances it could accelerate score creation by intuiting markings, thus also allowing for a more organic approach to initial capture.

One would still of course go through the traditional methods to generate the final score, but I could see this accelerating the process and also making it less likely that one would lose ideas due to the initial workflow of most notation programs being quite different from what one does by hand on paper.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mhschmieder

Re: New software for generating a score while you play

Post by mhschmieder »

Complete piece of doggie doo. I finally had a chance to work with it for a few hours this past weekend, and it's just a cheap MIDI recorder for those who don't have other programs yet.

So much for using it to generate dynamics and other markings that could be transferred to a professional scoring application via Music XML.

It was much more cumbersome to set up than a typical DAW project/chunk, and the routing was at first mysterious. Not worth the effort just to quickly capture an idea and save as MIDI (didn't bother with Music XML as there was no markup; just basic note values and lengths, which themselves were heavily quantized).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

No kidding? Doggy doo?

LOL
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Thomas.B.

Post by Thomas.B. »

The lead developer wrote a 'doctoral thesis of human music recognition' which is quite impressive. However, the only feature that seem to distinguish ScoreCleaner from any other DAW with score editing capabilities(including the 20 year old Notator - predecessor of Logic Audio) is the software's ability to generate scores from MIDI notes recorded without a click track. If you record your work with a click track with the help of your familiar DAW there doesn't seem to be a compelling reason to learn how to use ScoreCleaner. Or am I missing something?
Thomas.B.

Post by Thomas.B. »

Oops...I just found the 'offical' thread about ScoreCleaner on Motunation here. Very active discussion with interesting points. :D