"Voice to note" composing software

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
littlebird
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

"Voice to note" composing software

Post by littlebird »

Greetings, friends... this is my first time on the forum, so please be gentle!

I've been using DP for several years, but mainly to record vocal tracks for other people's projects, so I've barely scratched the surface of this incredibly deep software. Now I'm getting ready to record my first CD of my own songs. Although I do play some percussion and bass guitar, I'm primarily a vocalist. However, as a songwriter/composer, in my "head" are full arrangements with various instruments, and this is what I'd like to capture for my recording...

I've explored different options to accomplish this (including collaboration), and the one that appeals the most is to use software which records MIDI files from mic input--you hum or sing a track, then choose which virtual instrument it becomes. I can't find any indication in the DP manual that DP will do this, so I'd have to record these tracks with another program, and import the MIDI files to DP (my dedicated-to-recording MacBook Pro is running DP 7.24 on Mac OS 10.7, with an 828mk3 interface).

Since I'm a Mac user (and wary of Windows), I've been dismayed to learn (via extensive Internet research), that virtually all the "voice to note" software available is Windows-based. I was hoping that by now, DP would offer this feature (why not?--it seems to be able to do everything else!), but since it doesn't, I'd like to know if any other DP users have ever done what I'm talking about. If so, can you recommend a program? Thank you so much!
Frodo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: "Voice to note" composing software

Post by Frodo »

littlebird wrote:I was hoping that by now, DP would offer this feature (why not?--it seems to be able to do everything else!), but since it doesn't....
Ah, but it does. Whether it will do it exactly the way which would best work to convert vocals hinges on the nature of the track and a bit of editing.

In the Soundbites window, go to the track's pitch layer and select the pitch indicators you want, if not all of them. Paste those indicators into a MIDI track and your done, except for any additional editing.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

Wow, thank you so much, Frodo! I'll give your suggestion a try, and if I have any further questions, I'll post again. http://www.motunation.com/forum/posting ... 15&t=51441#
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Music easy to compose. LOL.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

chcir88ssn wrote:'Voice to note' composing software is very helpful for composing music. It makes easy to compose music. :dance:
Yes, thanks, chcir88ssn... I'd like to make my composing easy by recording with my voice all the instrumental parts I hear... (and if I could print it out, it would be even better...).

I was originally wondering if anyone could recommend an easy "voice to note" program that works on Macs (preferably not Windows-based)... Any suggestions?

(By the way, I did try Frodo's suggestion for how to do this in DP, but couldn't figure out where the "pitch indicators" were that I was supposed to copy and paste [what window do you have to be in??], got frustrated, and started focusing on other aspects of my project for a while... Plus, since all I've ever really done with DP for the last 10 years is record and edit audio tracks, I think I'm intimidated by the whole concept of MIDI--and the depth of info about it in the manual unfortunately tends to confuse, more than enlighten, this not-really-a-techie brain...) :?

Maybe someone could demystify MIDI for me...? I can see in the menu bar how to create a MIDI track, but then what? Do I do something different with the 828, or...?

But what am I doing writing about all this on Christmas Eve? Happy Holidays, everyone! (And much appreciation to anyone who takes the time to answer!)
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Simply read the relevant chapter in DP's manual (Pitch Correction). I doubt it's more than 5-6 pages long.

It will tell you all you need to know to get you started.

Also, don't be intimidated by MIDI.
littlebird wrote:
Maybe someone could demystify MIDI for me...? I can see in the menu bar how to create a MIDI track, but then what?
What do you mean by "then what"?
You continue to put notes (MIDI) in your track. Each note can be represented by notation (Quick Scribe window), or little block- like bars (Graphic or Sequence editors). Each of these notes give you some kind of sound from an external instrument or a virtual one.

You put the notes in there by recording them (i.e., from a MIDI keyboard or wind controller or by the above suggested method you want with your voice, or even by using the Pencil tool and clicking).
You can then easily manipulate, edit and mess with all this to your heart's content.

There are plenty of tutorials that can teach you all about MIDI in the web.

If you want to learn DP and all its basics, I strongly suggest you purchase this video-tutorial:
http://www.groove3.com/str/Digital-Perf ... ained.html
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
davidmkgrossman

Post by davidmkgrossman »

I agree that MIDI shouldn't be intimidating, though what Frodo talks about I'm not familiar with.

MIDI is like a player piano roll - you choose what the roll triggers (an external hardware synth or software virtual instrument).

I guess what Frodo is suggesting creates the MIDI notes from what you've sung. I'm not sure what form that comes in, but if it's an unassigned MIDI track, you have to assign what the MIDI track is triggering - hardware synth, virtual instrument, etc.

I don't work with hardware stuff, but with virtual instruments, you have to add the instrument (Project Menu, Add Track, Instrument Track), and then connect the MIDI track to the instrument by choosing "output" on the MIDI track in the same way you choose your output for an audio track - only here you choose your virtual instrument instead of you audio out. Your virtual instrument track is like an Aux track - no audio or MIDI goes there, but it can do volume and panning automation and it needs an output assignment as well.

Now, as FMiguelez say's, you have a number of ways you can edit your MIDI notes: Sequence Editor, MIDI Editor or Quickscribe. Each has advantages and disadvantages.

In the sequence editor, on the left side of the track you can choose whether you editing notes (where they start and end and what pitch), volume automation (you have to insert something with the insert menu on the left to choose that), note velocity and other stuff as well (which need an initial "insert" to start as well).

MIDI editor is nice for editing a number of instruments at once if you want to make sure their notes all starting/ending on the same spot for instance.

Quickscribe allows you to work with notes in musical notation, but sometimes what you see isn't what you hear because the notes don't fall exactly on the beat and quickscribe makes it look more complicated than it sounds.

The way I work with MIDI is through virtual instruments. I create a MIDI track:
Project Menu
Add Track
Instrument Track (this give you the option of choosing an instrument at the same time you create the track and giving the associated audio and MIDI track a folder. Virtual instruments need an audio track to send the audio signal triggered by the MIDI to. The audio track then needs some sort of output assignment).

You can record enable the track like any audio track. (my system is set up so I don't choose the MIDI controller since I only have one).

Hope this helps.

Merry Xmas!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Finale has the ability to put notes on the page, also.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro