Music notation: Score order question

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Music notation: Score order question

Post by FMiguelez »

Hello.

With VI Pro 2 I can, for the first time ever, load ALL my orchestral samples in my template (with disabled cells). I have practically every instrument ever created by VSL, so that's a lot of percussion, mallet and keyboard instruments!

What I want to do is to open my big template and simply select the instruments I will NOT use and press Shift-Command-R to place them an inactive folder (so I don't lose their routing in case I change my mind and decide to use one or more of them).
If I do this, then I would be left with ony the instruments I will use. But I want them to show in a porper score order... Since I never know what I will end up using, I figure that if I place ALL and every single instrument in the right order, the ones I don't move to the folder will automatically stay ordered for my session.

I'm looking for a correct and CONSISTENT way to have my tracks, so I always find what I want fast and easyly. I want to get used to this one technically-correct track order display.

At this moment I'm rereading the Adler and the Del Mar relevant chapters, but I don't see a clear way when it comes to every mallet, keyboard and percussion instrument (from Timpani to wooden toys to bells and glasses).

Do you have any general suggestions or guidelines, especially for the pecussion section? Do I place them by size, material, playing-technique, pitch non-pitched?

I also found my Gardner Read book, but not even that one comes to a clear consensus...

Thank you for any pointers.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Music notation: Score order question

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Really? That's like telling me to RTFM...

I was happy to see that you had responded to my thread (was looking forward to your comments) until I saw the content...
If we followed that same logic for every topic, we wouldn't even need a MOTUNation forum... Everything can be found via Google (the good info and the crap info).

If I wanted a Google search (which I did myself last week) I wouldn't have bothered posting here. I never thought it would be necessary to specify I was looking for an interesting discussion with knowledgeable members whom I "know" AND TRUST and have experience with this, since according to Del Mar and Read, there is "virtually no uniformity of order" for the kitchen department in general.

Anyway. From my Google search I had found that Indiana library page you posted, which so far seems to be the most helpful and reliable for my needs.

I would've certainly appreciated it more if you had only answered with your second response and skipped the first one, but that's just me :)
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

You want me to go through the order manually? Sorry, but I gave up teaching long ago.

Now had you asked me how I handle parts for percussion, we'd have something to talk about. I've played orchestral percussion since 1963 and have an opinion there. But the score order is not opinion and doesn't require reinventing the wheel if our friends in academia see fit to post a fairly authoritative response.

If the LMGTFY link offended you, then again, I'm sorry. Not so much for posting it as much as you're:

1) lack of appreciation for the humor there; and

2) you're desire for the fish without the fishing lesson.

MN is just slightly less than a hobby for me. I like helping people! I like helping you. I even like you and your music. You know that.

OH DANG! Now you've done it - I've engaged in an exchange.

HAPPY NOW! :mumble:

Seriously, man. All I ever intended to do was find your answer and fast.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

FMiguelez wrote: Anyway. From my Google search I had found that Indiana library page you posted, which so far seems to be the most helpful and reliable for my needs.
Oh yeah, and then there's that. I spent a little time customizing the question so that link would at the top.

You're welcome.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Don't get me wrong, Mike!

I appreciated your second response, but the first one pissed me off (I didn't get your humor in the first one. Sorry).

Please see this my way:
- I know you are an expert on this area.
- I know you are a percussionist.
- I'm delighted to see in the board's index that you have responded.
- I'm really looking forward to some of your knowledge or comments...
- But then I click on the topic and find a Google-it link... As you can imagine, that was quite disappointing.
:smash:

Like I said in my OP, I didn't want "a free lesson". Just some pointers or ideas or comments, since I really had no idea percussion instrument ordrer was so well established by now (especially since my notation books suggest otherwise).

Contrary to your fish metaphor, I had in mind fishing guidelines, not to get a free salmon.

But thank you for the Indiana link. I'm glad you confirmed it's a worthy page that I can trust for its info, as opposed to the other myriad of misinformaton sites one easily finds.

MIDI Life Crisis

You say your heart and soul are in NYC? Dude, this is the way the natives play on that island. ;) Sometimes worse!

...sénza mancáre di rispétto... és affári.

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I guess I'm out of practice and forget how things are on the island... I haven't been there for too long already :(

I hope to refresh my memory soon. I urgently need to be Un-Mexicanized by the spirit of NYC again! :lol:

kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Fernando, you're lucky MLC didn't send you a link on the fine art of sump fishing!

;-)
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
MIDI Life Crisis

kgdrum wrote:...the fine art of sump fishing!
Which is code.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

Seriously, FM, I truly did not intend to insult you. Had I, you would surely & unequivocally have known - assuming you survived, of course.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS