Favourite OST Cues

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
ootini
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Favourite OST Cues

Post by ootini »

Just curious as to what peoples favourite cues are?
Also do you tend to find you like pieces in a similar style? I tend to, which is really why I'm here, I want to listen to something a little different.

I find it difficult to explain the similarities in the pieces I enjoy most, maybe someone here might be able to articulate it better for me, but I guess it's a big sweeping theme that grabs me every time. I'm a sucker for crescendos, big cadences and the "relentless feel to short chord sequences (Zimmer/Murphy).

My personal favourites include "The Journey To The Line" and "Time" by Hans Zimmer, "The Main Theme from Out of Africa" by John Barry, "Sunshine Adagio in Dm" by John Murphy, "Jill's Theme from Once Upon a Time in the West" by Sergio Leone and pretty much anything from the "Edwards Scissorhands OST" by Danny Elfman. This is just a selection but can anyone explain to me what it is that connects these pieces? They all seem to share a grandiose, sweeping majesty to them. I just can't figure out, from a technical point of view what attributes it is that they share.

So what pieces float your boat / peel your banana etc..?