Yamaha BC3A breath controller

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Yamaha BC3A breath controller

Post by mhschmieder »

I gave extensive info on this not too long ago; maybe that post disappeared or there are two different topics discussing the breath controller alternative?

To summarize, I was a bit disappointed in the new design as I had my heart set on the wooden ocarina-style controller that Nick originally prototyped. But I understand the choices he had to make for this to be a more affordable mass production device, and it certainly should be more expressive and ergonomic than the BC3A.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

mhschmieder wrote:I gave extensive info on this not too long ago; maybe that post disappeared or there are two different topics discussing the breath controller alternative?

To summarize, I was a bit disappointed in the new design as I had my heart set on the wooden ocarina-style controller that Nick originally prototyped. But I understand the choices he had to make for this to be a more affordable mass production device, and it certainly should be more expressive and ergonomic than the BC3A.

Are you saying the USB MIDI breath controller on eBay MiniMidi posted about is Nicks device?
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
minimidi
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by minimidi »

stubbsonic wrote:There was a link to a website on the eBay listing...

http://tecontrol.se/index_files/USBMIDI ... roller.htm
Funnily I had not noticed the link, thank you. I downloaded the software utility, it's rather basic but otherwise looks well made.

http://tecontrol.se/index_files/TEC%20MIDI%20BC.zip

If someone out there has one of these already I would love to hear what they think about it.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

kgdrum wrote: Are you saying the USB MIDI breath controller on eBay MiniMidi posted about is Nicks device?
That is a different device from a different manufacturer. Nick's device is has a MIDI out.

That TEControl device is USB to a Windows computer (though it says Mac is being developed).
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
minimidi

Post by minimidi »

Actually someone bought it and seem to be happy with it - he left positive feedback on ebay. If you are the guy who bought it, I'd love to hear from you.
minimidi

Post by minimidi »

This is the first comment I find from someone who has actually bought it. The sensor is very responsive, even faster than an EWI according to him. And the software is also good apparently. The mouthpiece is not a strong point but I think I can make something like he said as well. I think I am going to take the plunge and buy one!

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=364700
I received my TEC MIDI Breath Controller and it works great on windows 7. Very sensitive seems a little more responsive than the EWI USB sensor. It uses a similar Motorola pressure sensor design from what I can gather from the data sheet.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Yeah, anything is better than the headset approach. :-)

Thanks for the extra info -- I'll pass on this as I didn't like the way the EWI mouthpiece felt in my mouth and sold it, sticking to my WX5 for wind controller duties.

For polyphonic breath control, of course, a dedicated breath controller is needed vs. a wind controller. I'm in no rush but will probably buy Nick Batzdorf's device.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
minimidi

Post by minimidi »

I took the plunge and bought a TEControl breath controller. The sensor is responsive and the software utility is quite intuitive. I use it on Windows 7 and it works very well. Installation was a breeze, I plugged it in and Windows recognized it as a MIDI device named "Breath Controller" straight away, no fumbling with drivers at all.

The device seems well supported, for example I recently got notified by the manufacturer that a beta version of the software utility for Mac is available. I can't comment on this though because I don't own a Mac.

The silicon pipe and plastic mouthpiece are rather basic but this is no problem for me. I found it easy to modify it by cutting the silicon pipe and adding a cheap plastic "T" connection and a valve to let some of the air out, which has made the device even more controllable and pleasant to use. All in all I am very happy and would recommend it.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Can you do things like "tonguing" notes? In other words, can you set the TEC to control volume with the volume set at 0 and the controller able to take it up to 127? Then if you go "Tah tah tah" into the tube, does it start the notes right away (like a melodica)?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

minimidi

Post by minimidi »

stubbsonic wrote:Can you do things like "tonguing" notes? In other words, can you set the TEC to control volume with the volume set at 0 and the controller able to take it up to 127? Then if you go "Tah tah tah" into the tube, does it start the notes right away (like a melodica)?
Yes, definitely. The sensor is very responsive and so sensitive that if I close one end of the silicon pipe and squeeze the pipe between my fingers, I see this in the messages coming out of the device.

And by adjusting the sensitivity like in the picture below, I can map a small sensor signal to 127 in the MIDI message. The device can also easily be programmed to send to any MIDI CC/Channel combination.

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Cool thanks. I'll have to wait until the mac driver is ready, but that sounds like a nice option.

[EDIT: just went and saw that they now have a tested Mac driver! Hmmmm. What can I sell?]

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

BTW I just found out there is a newish MIDI controller that accepts a BC input: the Arturia Analog Experience keyboards! They are a true bargain vs. the competition, and (subjectively) have a better keybed feel (CME VX series as the basis) than Novation Impulse or Akai MPK, as well as more sensitive pads and dedicated sliders and knobs for many common functions. They also have by far the most accurate and smooth aftertouch implementation of any controller on the market, and that is measurable and provable vs. subjective.

Anyway, as there are so few modern keyboards that have a BC input, I thought I'd let people know, as otherwise they're stuck buying a converter box from MIDI Solutions. Also, the Arturia 49-note and 61-note controllers (the smaller ones may not have BC input; I didn't check) are on special sale right now. They're only a year old, but I suppose this MIGHT mean an "available in May" update is to be announced at NAMM in a month's time.

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Sweetwater is selling the 61 key version for $382. That seems like a shreddingly good controller deal (especially if the keyboard is decent-- which it seems like it is). Throw in all those VA sounds, and it seems hard to pass on. Yet, I don't think I'm gonna be able to swing this one. If anyone goes for it, I hope they'll let us know how it is.

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I got my 61-note Arturia earlier today for $335, with about $12 shipping atop that.

minimidi

Post by minimidi »

There is more feedback on the TEControl breath controller, they seem to have listened to the suggestion I sent them to add a valve to allow some flow out as I did. I can second the impression of the other user, the device is very sensitive, precise and reliable.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=364700
I bought TEControl MIDI Breath Controller and received it yesterday. It's great! It worked straight out of the box. I'm using a Mac. They provided a T-connector and a valve in the package. First I tried playing without the valve, and it was almost impossible to achieve any kind of musical expression with the controller. But after connecting the valve and tuning the sensitivity with the configuration utility, it worked like a dream. Using the valve means that some air can flow through the system. Having not played any wind instrument before, I instantly got addicted to this new level of expression and almost blew my brains out with it last night.

So the first impressions are very good. I'll post some sound examples later.