Yamaha BC3A breath controller

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
mrtaudio
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Yamaha BC3A breath controller

Post by mrtaudio »

i am a developer for mrtaudio MIDI Breath Controller.
this Breath Controller does not include mic or any audio equipment. It works with mpxv5010 dp pressure sensor.Output voltage range is 0 to 5 v.
It has a headset just like Yamaha bc3a It also has a mouthpiece and drain cup like Yamaha bc3a. But you cannot use instead of Yamaha bc3a. Because MRT headset have different voltage range.
The neck headset has been designed to have an aesthetic appearance on the stage. It consist of parts which are totally washable demountable. Its only difference from a bc3a is its output voltage range is 0to5v.

Mrtaudio breath controller solutions comes with its own MIDI box converter which is re-programmable according to four options and you don't need a computer to program the MIDI box. You can send CC1,CC2,CC7 and aftertouch MIDI singnals. It supports three MIDI channels (etc., Chn1, Chn2 and Chn3) at the same time. Its got an excellent fast response time to your applied breath. For all question about MRT Breath Controller for more info http://www.mrtaudio.com/ thank you.
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mhschmieder »

It's really amazing how we had no options a few months ago and now have four. :-) I guess everyone was working in parallel to fill a vacuum.

Really nice to see developers paying attention to other forms of MIDI control. I'm also glad I held out, as now I have the dilemma of choosing which of these four choices to buy (though I've already ruled out the one that involves a lot of finger-work).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Thanks for that info, mrtaudio.

For folks with kurzweils that have BC inputs, (and the kurzweil is very good at giving lots of ways to use those control sources)-- it would be worthwhile to explore whether that headset could be adapted.

I'm not very knowledgable about electronics, but perhaps a DIY circuit could be offered that adapts the output to be the correct voltage and current to be BC-3 compatible. At first a person could just plug the headset into a breadboard and have whatever components on there to not only create the correct voltages, but also adjust the range, etc.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

That's a good point, as it may not be possible to re-map the MIDI In to handle BC or convert to BC, and might require the somewhat expensive MIDI Solutions BreathBox or something like it.

Kurzweil has been admirable in their continued support of BC jacks. I forget (and am too lazy to get it out of its current location) but seem to recall Arturia supporting it as well.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

On one hand, I just picked up my TEControl from the post office a few days ago, and will be excited to work with that device. On the other hand, the TEControl still doesn't offer me direct control for my Kurzweil K2661.

In the meantime, if mrtaudio wanted to send me a headset to experiment with; I could start working on designing an external circuit with an op-amp or other components to make it fully BC-3 compatible. The DIY circuit, parts list, and instructions could be posted on your website and you could sell those headsets to a bunch of Kurzweil kids.

PM me if you are interested.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

mrtaudio
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by mrtaudio »

i posted to mrtaudio MIDI breath controller headset jack pinout diagram
maybe you can use opamp or to npn transistor you can do it convert to yamaha bc3.Image Image
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Thanks for that info!

minimidi
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by minimidi »

I just learned from synthtopia that a new flexible headset with BC3a style mouthpiece is now available:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2013/ ... controller
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

minimidi wrote:I just learned from synthtopia that a new flexible headset with BC3a style mouthpiece is now available:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2013/ ... controller
Thanks. I've bookmarked it. We're getting more options for BC than ever before! It's a good day for expressive MIDI!

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
stubbsonic

tecontrol works with iPad

Post by stubbsonic »

This is breaking news!

I plugged my tecontrol into my iPad4 using the lightening USB "camera kit". I was able to choose it as a control source and assign it to paramaters in Sunrizer and Animoog.

I looked on the website and there was no mention of the iPad. I emailed them, and they said no one had asked about it before. So I'm just gonna let you all know this is possible.

Playing the iPad from the on-screen keyboard and controlling parameters with breath works quite well.

My next test will involve connecting a powered USB hub to the camera kit to see if I can get both a MIDI control keyboard AND the tecontrol working simultaneously. I'm not sure I'd be able to select more than one MIDI input-- that will probably depend either on the synth app, or whether OMNI will work across multiple devices -- I doubt it.

minimidi

Re: tecontrol works with iPad

Post by minimidi »

stubbsonic wrote:This is breaking news!

I plugged my tecontrol into my iPad4 using the lightening USB "camera kit". I was able to choose it as a control source and assign it to paramaters in Sunrizer and Animoog.
Interesting! Is the USB camera kit an official Apple gadget?
Yuvu

Post by Yuvu »

hello everybody ,
i got the tec bc and for some reason does not work .
seems that work for everybody.
im using DP 8 on a mac and done everything .
the tec shows up on the MIDI monitor .
i have kontakt 5 .any help
minimidi

Post by minimidi »

Yuvu wrote:hello everybody ,
seems that work for everybody.
im using DP 8 on a mac and done everything .
the tec shows up on the MIDI monitor .
i have kontakt 5 .any help
Hi there, not sure about DP8 but have you enabled Omni mode (or its equivalent in DP8)? Why don't you email the manufacturer? They are very friendly and helpful in my experience.
stubbsonic

Re: tecontrol works with iPad

Post by stubbsonic »

minimidi wrote:
Interesting! Is the USB camera kit an official Apple gadget?
Yes! The current iPads have a smaller dock connector called "Lightning". Apple sells USB "camera kits" for both the older connector and the newer one. It's called a camera kit for obvious reasons, but less obvious is that it is a way for the iPad to act as a USB host device for "class-compliant" or "plug-and-play" devices. It won't work on ALL devices as it only provides very limited bus power.

If a person were clever, they could make a special split USB cord so that data wires went to the iPad, and power was supplied by a ... well, power supply. I have an old USB hub lying around, I might try connecting my USB keyboard and my tecontrol to that and connecting that to the iPad.

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Yuvu wrote:hello everybody ,
Are you trying to assign the tecontrol to change parameters in Kontakt?

I have Kontakt 5 and a tecontrol. But haven't tried them together. I can try to help you troubleshoot later this evening if you are still stuck. I'd like to figure out how to make that work as well.