Finale 2012 is out. $120 upgrade

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

So far only an easily fixable font issue and MakeMusic had the small download ready to go and easy to find in the troubleshooting section of... the PDF manual - which is also online via the program (with the latest updates included in that version - hint, hint).
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:So far only an easily fixable font issue and MakeMusic had the small download ready to go and easy to find in the troubleshooting section of... the PDF manual - which is also online via the program (with the latest updates included in that version - hint, hint).
Maybe I'm delusional, but I feel their free upgrade policy should be more than 30 days from purchasing the 2011 upgrade.

Selfishly, I would have liked 6 months. That, of course, accommodates me!

I'll wait...

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

mhschmieder

Re: Finale 2012 is out. $120 upgrade

Post by mhschmieder »

I went to their webpage but had a hard time figuring out what the real changes are vs. the hype. Nevertheless, there seem to be more features for post-modern composing, jazz, and non-traditional styles than in Sibelius, and the fonts seem better at first glance, so this may be the one I end up going for (via competitive cross-grade) towards the end of the year.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
MIDI Life Crisis

Been using F2012 for a few days now and like it. The score manager makes life a little easier and they've fixed a few bugs as well as added a few interesting features. Maybe not enough for some folks, but I do feel I should be supporting the developers so they keep on comin' on.

As fas a "there seem to be features for post-modern composing, jazz, and non-traditional styles than in Sibelius" I'm don't see that at all. I do pretty traditional composing as well as more modern stuff and Finale is great for whatever I throw at it. I am guessing you're referring that Billings piece on their website? Not really that many folks i know are doing stuff like that anymore. It's so 1980's... :)

As far as that other program? I wouldn't pay a dime for it. Hated it from the day I bought it until the day I sold it.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I may upgrade, only because it's now the only way to get bug fixes. 2011c is still buggy and now there's no chance of 2011d. I wish Finale would focus on getting the program right before moving on to the next major update. Just sayin.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis

Phil O wrote: I wish Finale would focus on getting the program right before moving on to the next major update.
Don't we hear that a lot about MOTU... and Apple... and Waves... and [fill in the blank].
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

MLC, what were the one or two things you hated the most about Sibelius? Just curious.

I went to their site... I need to upgrade my Finale copy. If found this "funny"?
http://www.finalemusic.com/finale/compa ... ounds.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I mean, I love they are so sure about their product, but the Mozart examples sound horrible! The Mozart Sibelius version was programmed by a monkey, obviously (no offense to Nicky). And the Finale one... well, it didn't sound much better to my ears. There was more reverb, but the sounds sound fake and the articulations wrong. I hope this is not their "Demo". I mean, I understand FInale is made for scoring and not for playback, but why showcase such bad sounds? I think I could've made a better sounding version with my JV-2080 :roll:

So I obviously won't buy it for its sounds (which I thought were much better by now).

Ok. The Mussorgsky sounds much better...
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

Well, FWIW, I would never use the sounds that came with either notation program for any serious work, nor would I use either program for serious professional audio output.

For my money, it's all about how much I can control on paper and how well that outputs to dried pulp. For everything else, there DP... :)

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Quick Question:
Actually, and contrary to what I just wrote, can one access the Finale sounds from DP? I was thinking of buying a basic GM library to have basic sounds to compose at home with my laptop, but if I upgrade now I might be able to kill 2 birds with one shot (Finale + basic sounds). Can it be done?
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

I was doing that years ago. Use the IAC mode to publish DP outputs to Finale, but keep in mind that DP is still 32 bit. Plogue Bidule (about $75 last time I checked) is 64 bit, is easier to implement, and gives you access to the same sounds and more features than IAC. You also don't have to run DP but if you did, you could access the same Bidule instance in DP and you would have exactly the same instruments for either application simultaneously with a 64 bit shell (at least on your Macbook Pro). No VIs in DP at all (except if you wanted to use the MOTU VIs... :vomit:

Of course, there are other 64 bit shells that are quite good, I just prefer PB.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

So that looks like a nice and inexpensive solution for what I want to do.

Thanks for the info, MLC :)

Finale 2012l, here we go...

MIDI Life Crisis

Having heard you stuff, it sounds like a great way for you to go. Let me know if you have any questions if you decide to use PB. It can be a little cryptic at first and they also have a nice forum like ours. :) Well, almost as nice.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Thanks for you offer, Mike 8)

I am reading PB's site right now. It does look VERY nice!

I will see if I can do it with VE Pro first, though. I already have it.... I hope I can do what you suggested with it, otherwise I'll get PB.

My dad just left for NY to visit my sister. I looks like he will have to bring me some toys... Finale 2012, MachFive 3, Komplete, and probably PB. And the BEST part: No Customs! :headbang:

MIDI Life Crisis

For the record, PB is now $95 with free upgrades. Prices does not affect those who bought it previously. This is actually old new as the price went up in July 2010.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I will receive my Finale copy soon :D

Mike, I have a quick question:
How accurately does Finale import tempo changes from DP?
Does it do it at the tick level? Does it matter if they happen to be all over the place (as in not necessarily in parts of beats - ramps, and all that)?

The reason I ask is because it's so hard for me to compose orchestral stuff in QS. I have to keep looking at little bars instead because following divisi lines in QS is impossible (because of its lack of multiple voices per staff).
I know I could use different tracks for this, but I really think Finale is the way to go for this kind of work.

I want to create my tempo maps in DP and compose in Finale.
So do they translate perfectly well?