Sibelius goes all Finale on it's own ass!

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Sibelius goes all Finale on it's own ass!

Post by mhschmieder »

This is all useful feedback from real-world use, which we don't see enough of on an internet dominated by geeks and trolls. :-)

It seems that Finale has a bit of a preference here, and for some good reasons that are enlightening as they don't show up in quick demos. That's why I value hearing from you guys on this stuff.

Notion was cheap so I don't really think one needs to trash it for its shortcomings -- with the import/export capabilities, it seems reasonable to use it at the early stages if one finds its general composing workflow quicker, then switch to Finale or Sibelius once getting to serious score preparation. :-)

Now here's something that might surprise some of you: Sibelius has a MUCH stronger following than Finale in the SF Bay Area, due to how heavily promoted it is by our local conductors and composers.

I like the idea of MOTU gobbling up Finale, maybe merging it with Mosaic and QuickScribe and creating the industry killer notation app! Bring it on!

The competitive cross-grade pricing makes it not too expensive to have two notation programs around. I guess I won't take another look at the revised Encore as it seems to still be a risk long-term. But I've always had a struggle deciding whether to go for Finale or Sibelius, partly due to the STRONG local bias in favour of Sibelius.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

mhschmieder wrote: Notion was cheap so I don't really think one needs to trash it for its shortcomings --
:shock:

Kind of a contradiction. Like saying don't trash McDonald's just because they sell you crap to eat... LOL! But as far as Finale having a preference here, perhaps it's because the same thought that goes into selecting DP as an app goes into selecting a notation program. We just want the best we can get...

I know S. has a great following. I just hate the app personally. That's all... :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
ritzybiz

Post by ritzybiz »

mhschmieder wrote:
The competitive cross-grade pricing makes it not too expensive to have two notation programs around. I guess I won't take another look at the revised Encore as it seems to still be a risk long-term. But I've always had a struggle deciding whether to go for Finale or Sibelius, partly due to the STRONG local bias in favour of Sibelius.
I am a long time Sibelius/DP user and the latest combination of Sib 7, DP 7.24 and Lion is working like a dream for me on my MacBook Pro. I installed the latest Rex Shared Library (1.7), and now using Sib 7 slaved to DP is working great! Even using complex tempo changes in DP, (setting Rewire mode in Sibelius to "tempo Track"), the two apps track impeccably and allows writing a score to an existing track a breeze.
I would highly recommend the newest Sibelius, and even though there are some bugs in the new version, they have made great advances.
I can't instal Lion on my Mac Pro in the studio as my UAD card is not yet supported.
iMac 2019, 40 GB RAM
MacBook Pro, 16GB, OSX 10.11
DP10, Studio One, PT, Logic X, Sibelius, Live, Reason
Apogee Duet, Apogee Ensemble
Elektroakoustika

Post by Elektroakoustika »

After spending some time with demo, there is a lot to like about Sibelius 7. There are a lot of things in there that are simply done in a well-thought out simplistic manner than currently Finale doesn't have. And the full screen mode is really awesome on my 30 inch monitor. Thats something I've been waiting forever for!

That being said, I'm still used to many things from Finale that I'm going to wait and see what Finale 2012 has to offer this Fall. I'm still on 2010 as I saw no pressing need to update to 2011. Once MakeMusic releases Finale 2012, I'll make a decision then on what to do. Hopefully MakeMusic realizes that Sibelius has really made some major improvements and decides to make some for Finale as well.

As of right now I can still keep going with 2010 until the Fall. Especially since it looks like I'll need to spend my money on more RAM since EW Hollywood Strings decided to eat all mine up... :evil:
Mac Pro 12-Core 2.93ghz 64gb ram | macOS 10.12.6 | Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 | DP 9.52 | VE Pro 6 | Dorico 2.2
2016 MacBook Pro 2.6 ghz i7
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

If you zoom in on the picture of the retail box at Sweetwater, you'll see that the crossgrade price is for users of the full edition of Encore, Moasic, Finale, or Notion:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Sib7cg/

I could find no competitive crossgrade offers for Finale anywhere. Maybe because they're due to a new edition?

I visited the Sibelius forum tonight just to get a feel for its "character", and find it a bit smarmy. Rather, vendor attitude towards customers doesn't seem very warm and fuzzy as with MOTU.

Still, the $160 price tag is a small price to pay for a fully professional notation program that is capable of addressing any future needs for parts extraction, publishing, etc.

OTOH I seem to recall preferring Finale's fonts -- though I think Sibelius switched theirs recently. I happen to like Notion's fonts quite a bit, as well as its scoring templates.

Out of fairness, here is Encore's upgrade offer of $89, which covers even more notation programs:

http://www.computermusicshop.com/GVOX-E ... recomp.htm

I definitely don't like their fonts! Or at least the ones they show in screen shots at their website.

I suspect the real shootout will be this fall between Sibelius and Finale, once Finale 2012 is announced. Do they usually release their updates at the AES Show?
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Looks like the Sibelius 7 Reference Manual is a separate purchase for $40:

http://www.audiomidi.com/Sibelius-7-Ref ... 16617.aspx

Does anyone know the history of printed manuals with Sibelius?
Last edited by mhschmieder on Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MIDI Life Crisis

mhschmieder wrote: I could find no competitive crossgrade offers for Finale anywhere. Maybe because they're due to a new edition?
http://www.finalemusic.com/Downloads/De ... spx?id=247" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mhschmieder wrote:Looks like the Finale 7 Reference Manual is a separate purchase for $40:

http://www.audiomidi.com/Sibelius-7-Ref ... 16617.aspx

Does anyone know the history of printed manuals with Sibelius?
I think you meant the Sibelius 7 manual. When I bought S. 3 it came with a DP sized manual. I miss having a printed manual for Finale.

As far as the price of S. being a 'no brainer' I found that at any price the app was useless to me. I wouldn't even take a free copy if they asked me to be a spokesperson. Even with speedy entry stolen from Finale, I still can get my head around the rest of the app.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I suppose it's like DAW preferences in a way, so it's best just to try them all again in their current state, but I see your point about Sibelius kind of being a follower vs. a leader.

I corrected my posting for my late-night thinko/typo; of course I meant the Sibelius manual is $40. Thanks for the link to the Finale competitive upgrade form; I've saved it to disc for later.

adriano

Post by adriano »

Hello forum,

Just came across this thread about notation programs and was wondering, if any of you has ever used/tested Notability Pro.

Here is a link:
http://debussy.music.ubc.ca/NoteAbility/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Adriano
iMac9,1, 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB-RAM, 10.9.5
DP 8.07, 828MKIII, Keys-Fantom X8, XV-88. Key

SampleTank v2.5.4, Miroslav Philharmonik v1.1.2, SampleMoog v1.02, SampleTron v1.02, Sonik Synth 2 v2.1.1, Independence Pro v3.2.0126, EZDrummer 1.4, MDrummer Large 5.02, Komplete U9, Orchestral Essential 1, Orchestral Essential 2, Complete Orchestral Collection

Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I seem to recall a friend or two using that program, but the first thing I notice at that website is that the copyright range goes from 2000 to 2007.

In other words, is this a dead (or soon-to-be-dead) company/product?

Maybe it's worth trying the demo though. Sometimes trying demos of products you don't buy, gives clarity on products you do use or buy. It's like looking at something from different perspectives until you "get it".

I personally am holding off on downloading any demos, because I want to wait until the next Finale update becomes available so I can download and compare all notation program demos at the same time vs. depending on memories for comparisons.

Hmm, I went back to the Opus 1 website, and it seems some of their pages are active (and quite recently):

http://debussy.music.ubc.ca/index.html/

So maybe this is still a current product.

OTOH the NoteWriter product is abandonware as of the Intel chip switch on Macs:

http://debussy.music.ubc.ca/NoteWriter/index.html

I don't know what to think at this point, but I would be shy of buying something as important as a notation program from a company that I have doubts will still support the product or still be around after the next OS or hardware change at Apple's end.

Nigel Keay

Post by Nigel Keay »

I'll no doubt end up getting Sibelius 7 as I'm in the process of shifting to a new Mac with Lion and I've only got Sib 4 (PPC) at the moment, and Lion doesn't do Rosetta... time for an upgrade in any case.
Derek Williams' comments on Sib 7 on sibeliusblog.com make interesting (and entertaining) reading as he knows Composer's Mosaic which gets a mention there concerning handling of tuplets.
DP10.13, OSX 10.13.6, Melodyne Studio 4.1, Dorico Pro 3.5, Sibelius 7.1.3, MOTU Mosaic 1.5, MOTU Traveler mk1.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I'm downloading the demo right now. Just from a quick look at the videos on their web site, it looks like keyboard entry (which is what I mainly use in Finale) is a little awkward compared to Finale. Let me play with this thing for a few days and I'll report back.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
adriano

Post by adriano »

mhschmieder wrote:I seem to recall a friend or two using that program, but the first thing I notice at that website is that the copyright range goes from 2000 to 2007.

In other words, is this a dead (or soon-to-be-dead) company/product?

Maybe it's worth trying the demo though. Sometimes trying demos of products you don't buy, gives clarity on products you do use or buy. It's like looking at something from different perspectives until you "get it".

I personally am holding off on downloading any demos, because I want to wait until the next Finale update becomes available so I can download and compare all notation program demos at the same time vs. depending on memories for comparisons.

Hmm, I went back to the Opus 1 website, and it seems some of their pages are active (and quite recently):

http://debussy.music.ubc.ca/index.html/

So maybe this is still a current product.

OTOH the NoteWriter product is abandonware as of the Intel chip switch on Macs:

http://debussy.music.ubc.ca/NoteWriter/index.html

I don't know what to think at this point, but I would be shy of buying something as important as a notation program from a company that I have doubts will still support the product or still be around after the next OS or hardware change at Apple's end.
Hi mhschmieder,

Yes, about the copyrights on their site. It's been like that, but I see them releasing updates very often. Here is another link, just click on the "What's new in this version" tab

http://www.macmusic.org/software/view.p ... AbilityPro#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Adriano
iMac9,1, 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB-RAM, 10.9.5
DP 8.07, 828MKIII, Keys-Fantom X8, XV-88. Key

SampleTank v2.5.4, Miroslav Philharmonik v1.1.2, SampleMoog v1.02, SampleTron v1.02, Sonik Synth 2 v2.1.1, Independence Pro v3.2.0126, EZDrummer 1.4, MDrummer Large 5.02, Komplete U9, Orchestral Essential 1, Orchestral Essential 2, Complete Orchestral Collection

Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
Nigel Keay

Post by Nigel Keay »

After version 4 I'm quite enjoying using Sib 7 I have to say. They did a survey recently to see what features users wanted in the future; lots of multi-choice options to select, one of the most noteworthy for me was the idea of a wiper with a scrub function - that seemed to be pushing a lot further in sequencer territory (if it did get implemented).
DP10.13, OSX 10.13.6, Melodyne Studio 4.1, Dorico Pro 3.5, Sibelius 7.1.3, MOTU Mosaic 1.5, MOTU Traveler mk1.
MIDI Life Crisis

Sibelius goes all Finale on it's own ass!

You can't scrub music in Sibelius?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS