Under appreciated composers

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Under appreciated composers

Post by mhschmieder »

Not much at his Wiki site:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Mart ... omposer%29

I have long been familiar with his flute and saxophone works (and a great admirer), but was surprised to see so little else mentioned on Wiki. I guess he wasn't very prolific.

Thanks for the heads-up on Golgotha though; I must hunt that one down.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Movies

Post by Movies »

On the Schoenberg/Berg tip: I picked up the score for Webern's Five Movements for String Orchestra (Op. 5) a couple of weeks ago and it's still blowing my mind!

I'd also stick Varese on the list; Ameriques is incalculably insane.

P.S. I wouldn't have posted anything here had this thread not been presented to me as being ON FIRE.
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel i7/16GB, OSX 10.14.6, DP 10.1, MOTU 896mk3
bdr

Post by bdr »

Movies wrote:On the Schoenberg/Berg tip: I picked up the score for Webern's Five Movements for String Orchestra (Op. 5) a couple of weeks ago and it's still blowing my mind!

I'd also stick Varese on the list; Ameriques is incalculably insane.

P.S. I wouldn't have posted anything here had this thread not been presented to me as being ON FIRE.

Holy crap! I hadn't listened to it for ages, just did so again on your reminder. Unreal!
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

yeah Varese is amazing!
I have been listening lately to
Chailley and Boulez conducting Varese,totally different perspectives,fascinating!
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

kgdrum wrote:yeah Varese is amazing!
I have been listening lately to
Chailley and Boulez conducting Varese,totally different perspectives,fascinating!
Pierre Boulez is an AMAZING conductor. The detail he extracts from whomever is in front of him is mind (ear?) blowing!

I prefer his conducting over his writing, but some of it is actually nice (except for the poor pianist -or whatever- who attempts to learn one of his pieces :mrgreen: ).
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

agreed Boulez is an amazing conductor!

re:Varese
Chailly has the music performed Orch w/ tape as Varese wrote it,Boulez on the other hand does not use tape w/ Orch.I expected to like with tape more but I honestly like both and sometimes prefer Boulez's versions because he has such a clear vision of what he wants from the music,he is a very strong,brave as well as honest conductor.
he is one of the best conductors for 20th century classical music imo
his interpretations of Berg,Varese,Carter etc....set the standard for me.
I vaguely remember he was not very well received when he was w/ the NY Philharmonic,I suspect he was too progressive/contemporary for the critics etc.....truly brilliant :wink:
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
Movies

Post by Movies »

I went to check out the second night of the Varese festival at Lincoln Center's Avery Fisher Hall a few months ago and it totally blew my mind.

I have Boulez conducting the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, but I don't think I have any other versions. I'll definitely check out the Chailly. Thanks for the 411!
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

a new discovery for me..... :shock: this is a beautifully magical musical performance!
In tempus praesens
Concerto for violin and orchestra by Sofia Gubaidulina
Anne Sophie Mutter w/The London Symphony Orchestra
conductor : Gergiev
:woohoo:
Movies

Post by Movies »

I love Sofia Gubaidulina!

I bought "The Canticle of the Sun" a while back. I love it, but it's deeply complex in a way that I can't exactly parse. I've been looking all over for the score, but can't seem to find it anywhere.
kgdrum

Under appreciated composers

Post by kgdrum »

here's for me an interesting composer I started to get into recently : Shulamit Ran.
Concerto da Camera 2
3 Fantasy Movements
String Quartet #1
3 Pieces for Cello & Piano
Private Game etc...
Interesting composer, worth checking out.
KenNickels

Gilbert O'Sullivan

Post by KenNickels »

Much of the interest here has been afforded to high brow composers who remain in the margins because of their avant guard attitudes, which I am hip to and fully appreciate. But ... do you know how hard it is to write a good pop song? I mean, it's really freakin difficult. I'd have given my left you-know-what to have written this song, but I guess we can't all be brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoxSHYfwXeA
My Box(s): Two Mac Pros 5,1/3Ghz, 12 core, 96GB Ram, OS 10.14.6, One Windows 10 computer, Vienna Ensemble Pro, MOTU Audio Express, DP 10.01, Falcon 3, Eastwest, NOVO Strings, 8Dio Brass, Spitfire,, Symphobia