Under appreciated composers

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
Macrozonaris
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Under appreciated composers

Post by Macrozonaris »

cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Macrozonaris wrote:Orlando Gibbons
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYZkW9CSQpo
I knew that this link was that music before I even clicked on it. Gould, Gibbons, Sweelinck...pure heaven.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

Frodo wrote:Look-- I'm a strange person. I orchestrate a lot. I'm a Beatle fan and play the guitar and bass. I like AC/DC and ZZ Top. I like Dave Matthews. I like Soundgarten and Pearl Jam. I like Kings X. I like Lifehouse and Greenday. I like Oscar Peterson and Keith Jarrett. I like Earth-Wind & Fire, I like Tower/Power. I like Sly and the Family Stone. I like Eminem. I like Janet. I like Beatles. I like Stones. I like Phil Glass. I can't stomach Celine.

The list goes on.

I say this because I've done 11 orchestrations in the past three weeks, and no one's life has changed because of it. I've done probably 200 orchestrations in the past 18 months, and I have no proof that anyone was uplifted by all that effort.

I got in on this late and wish I had some one to add I can't think of any one not mentioned so far.

First I am with you on the first and the list goes on.

On the second part I have been lifted by some of your orchestrations and I know a number of people who feel you are very talented.

I have to admit I do not know a number of the composers here make me feel I need to branch out more. I am going through the links and getting some ear candy. Thanks all.

Frodo the link on your fist post has been pulled due to copy right laws.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

heard this recently :

Berg: Chamber Concerto; Three Orchestral Pieces, Op. 6; Violin Concerto
Alban Berg (Composer), Pierre Boulez (Conductor), BBC Symphony Orchestra (Orchestra), London Symphony Orchestra (Orchestra), Daniel Barenboim (Performer) | Format: Audio CD

WOW!! :dance:
totally blew my mind lol got the CD on Amazon for about $5 + shipping.I never heard Berg before,I ordered another CD I am waiting for as well,very cool modern chamber and Orchestral music. :headbang:
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

kgdrum wrote:heard this recently :

Alban Berg (Composer), Pierre Boulez (Conductor), BBC Symphony Orchestra (Orchestra), London Symphony Orchestra (Orchestra), Daniel Barenboim (Performer) | Format: Audio CD

totally blew my mind lol got the CD on Amazon for about $5 + shipping.I never heard Berg before,I ordered another CD I am waiting for as well,very cool modern chamber and Orchestral music. :headbang:
Berg was brilliant-- one of my top favorite 20th Century composers.

If you're interested in opera, the DVDs of Wozzeck and Lulu are worth seeing.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
bdr

Post by bdr »

Who knew serial music could be so musical!

Now Boulez' pieces on the other hand....Lucky he didn't play one of them also.
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Alban Berg: Lulu Suite/The Wine/Lyric Suite [Audio CD] Berg, is already on it's way :wink: :dance:
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Frodo wrote:
kgdrum wrote:heard this recently :

Berg was brilliant-- one of my top favorite 20th Century composers.

If you're interested in opera, the DVDs of Wozzeck and Lulu are worth seeing.
:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

well I qot Berg: Wozzeck & Lulu
Pierre Boulez

psychedelic hallucinatory evoking opera, very cool :wink:
amazing composer truly under appreciated as well as not too well known.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Dude-- if you ever have a chance to watch a DVD of Wozzeck, it will take it to a whole other level. I was blown away by the story and how the music and story served each other so well.

That's very cool that you're so into this genre, kg. Keep on enjoying it!!
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I haven't had time to participate in this thread, as it would take a LOT of time to do it justice, but let it be said that the past two years of my life have been focused primarily on uncovering hidden works and "forgotten" composers, and there are some real gems out there.

I haven't had a chance to listen yet, but last night I picked up Kabalevsky's four symphonies in a Budapest recording. And I consider that WAY more mainstream than most of what I've picked up of late.

How does one find out if someone or something is under-appreciated, given the ever-changing trends? I'm not sure I'm aware anymore, unless one judges by the number of recordings and whether the material pops up in program listings for nearby orchestras or not.

I'm a HUGE fan of Alban Berg -- so much so, that I have been willing to make an exception in purchasing recordings by Herbert von Karajan, who was a vocal proponent of Berg's music. I figure since he's dead, he won't be getting my money anyway (for those who don't know, Karajan was such an enthusiastic supporter of the Holocaust that he sent his own orchestra members to the gas chamber!).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Frodo wrote:Dude-- if you ever have a chance to watch a DVD of Wozzeck, it will take it to a whole other level. I was blown away by the story and how the music and story served each other so well.

That's very cool that you're so into this genre, kg. Keep on enjoying it!!

I am one strange jazz/rock drummer lol :headbang:
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

mhschmieder wrote: I'm a HUGE fan of Alban Berg -- so much so, that I have been willing to make an exception in purchasing recordings by Herbert von Karajan, who was a vocal proponent of Berg's music. I figure since he's dead, he won't be getting my money anyway (for those who don't know, Karajan was such an enthusiastic supporter of the Holocaust that he sent his own orchestra members to the gas chamber!).
With all due respect, may I ask how you know this?
Would you provide evidence for such a claim? :?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Ah. That's been a touchy topic for some time. When Big Brother gets to you, what do you do? It was messy business back then, but the only really honorable thing would have been to sacrifice oneself or escape. Did HvK really call the shots or were the shots called for him? That's been the question for decades.

And yet, he was a revolutionary interpreter. How do we square that circle? He conducted from his gut and breathed new life into the music of under-appreciated composers and even with music of already-appreciated ones. He had a way of breaking the rules for the sake of rendering interpretations that offered the listener something profound to feel. Few were doing that back then-- and no one dared to be quite that individual until Bernstein came along.

Boulez found a comfort zone and managed to follow the rules while pleasing the new composers back then. I think Boulez's interpretation of Daphnis et Chole is still the best-- since he worked directly with Ravel on bringing it to life. There's just something special about it that stands apart from other great interpretations which can be cited.

HvK-- tough "stough". Hmmm. You know, Richard Strauss went through very similar issues and suffered greatly because of it.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

FMiguelez wrote: With all due respect, may I ask how you know this?
Would you provide evidence for such a claim? :?
It's well-documented that HvK joined the Nazi Party on 8 April 1939. To avoid breaking any forum rules here, I would suggest googling "Karajan" and "Nazi".
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

kgdrum wrote: psychedelic hallucinatory evoking opera, very cool :wink:
amazing composer truly under appreciated as well as not too well known.
Hey, KGDrum. Have you heard Schoenberg's "A Survivor from Warsaw"?

If you haven't, please do yourself a favor and check it out. If you like Berg's music, you will LOVE this masterpiece.
It is ridiculously powerful and emotional. Make sure you get a translation of the lyrics too, so you can follow the drama (but first listen to the music on its own, of course).
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman