828 original Fire Wire to USB Interface ???

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
dayogiman
Primary DAW OS: Windows

828 original Fire Wire to USB Interface ???

Post by dayogiman »

I picked up an original 828 Fire Wire and my PC Laptop only has USB 3.0 ports.

Has anyone found a fire wire to USB adapter or an interface that was functional.

Im basically recording one track at a time so Latency should be such an issue. I was just wondering if it work at all with a USB port. I have received mixed information until this point and I may have to take my chances and experiment.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 828 original Fire Wire to USB Interface ???

Post by mikehalloran »

Has anyone found a fire wire to USB adapter or an interface that was functional.
No.

You'll need an 828mk3 Hybrid, 828x or 828es to provide USB connectivity.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dayogiman

Post by dayogiman »

I emailed Dave at MOTU and according to him the 828 will connect to FW 400,FW 800, and Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt3 using the correct OEM Mac Adapters.
BTW the 828 will work with GarageBand.

The 828 will also connect to a PC with card slots running Win7,8,or 10 if I insert a FW 400 adapter card that uses a Texas Instruments controller chip. SIIG Brand controller cards have proven to be reliable.

I still want to find out if it will work at all using a FW to USB Interface with a dongle. I have to experiment with that one I guess. If the computer recognizes the console thru the interface I shouldn't get to much latency if bottlenecking became an issue at all. I am mostly just doing home recordings one track at a time.
You could be correct about the USB Ports however.

Just trying to narrow down my options here and see if I can get this 828 up and running. Technology 10 or 15 years ago was still better than anything the
Beatles had. :)

Thank you for responding I will heed your advice.
dayogiman

Post by dayogiman »

I could have entitled the post "Can I connect 828 to a PC with USB ports"

Purchasing an older Mac Pro might be a good option that has built in FW or TB.

I read somewhere that a Mac can process Audio and Video 100x faster than a PC whether this is due to the infastructure of the Processor, the OS,or both.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Dave answered a question that you didn’t ask.

I answered your original question. Again, the answer is no.

Both of us are correct.

There is absolutely no way to hook up a FireWire only device to a USB port. Best case—it won’t work at all. Worst case—you’ll fry the unit, your motherboard or both.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

dayogiman wrote:I read somewhere that a Mac can process Audio and Video 100x faster than a PC whether this is due to the infastructure of the Processor, the OS,or both.
I read somewhere that the earth is flat. :roll:

Relative performance of macOS vs Windows aside, you can pick up older Mac Pros for very reasonable prices these days. Because audio is much less demanding than video, even an older Mac can perform very well, offering power of which the Beatles could only have dreamed. All Mac Pros except the latest (6,1 - Thunderbolt to Firewire adaptor will work) provide Firewire ports, although you may have to purchase a Firewire 800 to 400 converter cable to connect your 828. Recommended models of the Mac Pro are 4,1, 5,1 or 6,1.