Ultralite mkIII hybrid - meters stops working

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Kjeldsen
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Ultralite mkIII hybrid - meters stops working

Post by Kjeldsen »

I use a Ultralite MkIII hybrid with my win10 PC.

I have used it with USB and spdif loop and works great. Now I use spdif output from PC directly, also great. I have now set-up new analog input for aux and turntable. Still works great, but now the meters in CueMix don't show anything. Meters on LCD display works fine. I have tried to restart PC, and take out USB cable and put it in again.
I have tried to start Cuemix several times. One time the meters worked, or at least showed something. Problem is that it was out of control. What it showed was not correct. Then I shut the app down, and restarted, and again no meters. Every works - just no meters.
terrybritton

Re: Ultralite mkIII hybrid - meters stops working

Post by terrybritton »

Just give this a try - in the device manager, find the "MOTU Audio for Wave 64-bit" item, right-click it and disable it. (That provides the Windows Audio Control Panel devices and is buggy as hell.)

Not the "MOTU Audio" driver - that is to the interface. The Waves one.

Let me know how that goes. I may have more suggestions.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

Also, I should mention that I have found two-way S/PDIF to be troublesome, as it seems to lose sync if a mosquito flies into the room. (Definitely seems sensitive to mild brownouts.) Even fooling with which device is acting as slave and which acts as master in the sync panel, it is notoriously unstable - for me.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

Godly

Post by Godly »

Hi Terry,
Sven from C3 :)
Glad to see you here !

Motu mk3 is giving me headaches !!!
Not only are my meters not working anymore. But some other problems also.
I tried your solution but no help here.

I contacted support:

Hi Motu,

I'm a user of motu for years and have mk3.
I reinstalled on a new laptop and some old problems return and again some new:

1 - I cannot get any signal flowing through Cue Mix, I've set focus to the channels, but whatever I try, there's nu signal sign coming out of the software, nor does it affect the signal or volumes etc. It does work because I can select the headphones from the menu.

How can I fix this, I already reinstalled or even downgraded to the older version of the driver. No use...

2 - Seems that the ASIO driver has lots of bugs, sometimes crackels happen after a while (on my previous laptop). I recently discovered that the synth VST I use gave also crackles, so I complained the developper. I installed ASIO4ALL, and my problems are gone with that driver !!!! Only way I can get the motu driver working is by setting to 1024 latency. All lower gives crackles. I'm not even sure it affects the latency time,feels like the same respons time to me, the low or high settings...

3 - Old ghost problem reapears: After a while USB port 1 at the right is shut off, motu is still recognised as driver in de DAW but the DAW doesnt wanna play...
Switching to USB2 on the left solves the trick (all right usb don't work anymore). Strange enough: this is a new laptop and that problem was on the old one also!!! Only way to resolve this is to reinstall windows or restore to a point before the prob.

This way the soundcard is unreliable on stage, worse, it's unusable! I cannot change the settings or asio driver gives problems.

My config:
- downloaded latest motu drivers
- w10 i7-3820qm 16 Gb ram
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

Godly wrote:Hi Terry,
Sven from C3 :)
Glad to see you here !
Hi, Sven!

Every so often you need to perform a system reset on the Ultralite. That often will solve crackling at buffers below 1024. Don't worry about losing your configs- they are likely saved in CueMix - if you saved them there! I recommend doing that before doing a reset.

I wrote a long article here about getting rid of the extra setups MOTU writes into the Device Manager every time you change USB ports - viewtopic.php?f=14&t=36522&p=535082#p514355

I think the driver gets confused as to which one to use!

I also disable the "MOTU Audio Wave for 64-bit" Windows Audio Control panel driver under "Sound, Video and Game Controllers" in the device manager and use Voicemeeter instead to watch YouTube videos and use media players. I have Voicemeeter set up as the default playback device. It doesn't interfere with my DAW setup - in fact, it works fine with it. (I use Voicemeeter also to pass the DAW's ASIO out to WDM/KS to OBS for live streaming on YouTube.)

If you do those things, you will enjoy relatively trouble-free operation of the Ultralite. Only an occasional brownout causes me to have to reset mine anymore.

Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

Hey, Sven - I just noticed you already saw that article back in 2016 and replied to it! :-)

Just get rid of the "ghost" drivers, back up your configs in CueMix, perform a factory reset on the unit, and get rid of "MOTU Audio Wave for 64-bit" driver and you'll possibly be fine. Voicemeeter performs on-the-fly sample-rate conversion, which the MOTU Windows audio drivers do not (that MOTU Windows driver forces the Ultralite and other similar models to change the sample rate internally in the box). Of course, do not disable the regular "MOTU Audio" one - that is the ASIO connection and for CueMix to talk to it.

Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid