MIDI express xt usb...MIDI channel separation...

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
HARDDRlVER
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MIDI express xt usb...MIDI channel separation...

Post by HARDDRlVER »

Hello all.
I'm starting to get the hang of this MIDI express xt usb, and the 828mk3...I said 'starting'.

Today my issue lies with the way the MIDI express routes various MIDI channels to separate devices.
Back in the day when 16 MIDI tracks was enough, it was easy enough to do that.
For the sake of any confusion, let's assume that we have a contoller which can output 1 to 16 MIDI channels. Now, let's assume we have two synth rack units each capable of receiving any of the same 16 channels. Fairly simple still, right?
So, working within the daw (yes, Sonar Platinum)...but in this case, every daw would function much the same way...
Now, I understand that if I want to take advantage of all 32 MIDI channels in the 2 synths, I will have to have 32 tracks in my daw.
My controller is device 1, the synths are 2 and 3.
The xt is capable of sending/receiving up to 8 devices, so 2 should be a piece of cake...
So here's where I scratch my head;
I would think that I could leave my controller on MIDI channel 1 and use the daw to route the signal to any MIDI channel I wish. But it doesn't seem to be working the way I'd expect.
I'm able to record MIDI channel 1 to synth one, MIDI channel 1, but in order to record to synth 2 MIDI 1, I have to delete the virtual connection to synth 1, because the controller is still sending a signal to that device.
Furthermore, if I then try to record MIDI channel 2 to synth 1 on another track, the controller is still MIDI channel 1 active. This is where I don't understand...I still have the controller set to MIDI channel 1 output, but as I said in the beginning...this shouldn't matter, should it. In my mind,.the xt should be able to separate 128 MIDI channels...all coming from the one same MIDI channel 1...or 2, or any 1 single MIDI channel from a controller.
On the Daw's MIDI channel input, it's clear cut...1 of any 8 devixlces, each with a drop down box with 16 MIDI channels, respectively. However, in Sonar Platinum the outputs are separated into 2 different tab windows, one for each device and and one for the various MIDI channels...this in itself is very confusing.
I have no clue why Sonar designed the inputs and outputs differently, but there it is.
I know Gibson just bailed on Cakewalk, but I don't have time or money to start over again. The daw should keep on working as long as I feed it well.
But anyway, I'd have this same concern no matter the daw I'd use.
I'm sure this is an easy answer, and my mind is still trying to think it out.
...I shouldn't have to switch the controller output in order to record to MIDI channel 2 or 3...etc.
Controller MIDI channel 1 output should be able to record to any one of the 128 MIDI channels WITHOUT having to switch to ANY other output channel.
Btw, the contoller is set to separate 1~16, not onmi, or whatever that term is called.
As mentioned previously, in the old days of sequencers and still if you don't ha e something like the MIDI express xt, you WOULD have to switch the MIDI output of the controller to match the channel of your destination. But with the XT it is my belief that is not necessary.

Hope I'm not too confusing...but my problem sure is

Thanks for any insight you might have on this.

Jon
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MIDI express xt usb...MIDI channel separation...

Post by mikehalloran »

There is a searchable .pdf online at motu.com. I find those much easier than the paper manual for finding these solutions.

Your XT is a hub/router and can send any input to any of 16 channels at any of 8 ports. It must be connected to your PC during setup but the settings can be saved fo stand alone operation.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro