UltraLite MK3 & Windows 10 - no sound - RESOLVED

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
herrvogelberg
Primary DAW OS: Windows

UltraLite MK3 & Windows 10 - no sound - RESOLVED

Post by herrvogelberg »

Hi all,

I hope you can help me as this is the last resort before I have to return the UltraLite mk3 Hybrid I recently bought. Frustrating because I've never had issues with soundcards before, having owned quite a few...

Anyway, I'm unable to get it to actually pass through any sound. I'm running a Windows 10 64-bit system (latest updates and all). No matter what I do, whether it's from the DAW or a video online or a music clip, I can't hear any sound. I normally use headphones.

This is what I've tried so far:
- Upgrading the firmware of the hardware itself
- Reinstalling the latest Win 10 drivers from MOTUs site
- Factory reset of the unit
- Made sure that "Phones" should use Main Out 1-2 (I've assigned it both on the unit and in the MOTU Audio console)
- In Windows, made sure that "Main Out 1-2" is the preferred audio device for playback

But there's NOTHING going on. If I try to play a local mp3 it won't even start the playback so it feels like the drivers are somehow corrupted? I can also see when clicking the speaker icon in Windows that it "jumps around" between the different outputs on the MOTU card, without me doing anything at all.

I'm unsure what to do, I'd really appreciate any help as I was reading so much good about MOTU but I've had 3 different USB-soundcards before and they all worked within 5 minutes of setting them up so I'm stumped.

Edit:
Also tried the following things, no dice:
- Followed the instructions here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=36522&start=30
- Tried all sample rates (44.1 and 48 included)
- Ensured I have it connected to a USB 2.0 port (have tried 3.0 as well though)
- Tried a different USB cable, because why not...

I'm out of ideas. As I said before the edit this is the first time I've ever encountered such an issue with any of the gear I've owned and it's very frustrating.
herrvogelberg

Re: UltraLite MK3 & Windows 10 - no sound

Post by herrvogelberg »

It works! I followed the procedure from the thread again and tried a FOURTH USB-cable and this did it. So happy, sorry for the rant. Now I'll explore this sound card, finally.
terrybritton

Re: UltraLite MK3 & Windows 10 - no sound

Post by terrybritton »

herrvogelberg wrote:It works! I followed the procedure from the thread again and tried a FOURTH USB-cable and this did it. So happy, sorry for the rant. Now I'll explore this sound card, finally.
Glad to hear that. Enjoy it - is an excellent value. Read the other posts nearby that go into what Cuemix is used for, or you could avoid it entirely and never miss it if only working with a DAW. It is mostly for setting up separate headphone mixes for band members to hear.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
rp88.2
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: UltraLite MK3 & Windows 10 - no sound - RESOLVED

Post by rp88.2 »

Hi:

Even though this thread has been inactive for a bit, here is some information about USB 2.0 cables and Audio Interfaces.

Native-Instruments has a very good FAQ on what USB 2.0 cables work on their interfaces (should be relevant to most USB 2.0 interfaces):
https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... are-Device

Generally, for USB 2.0 cables, I use Tripp Lite USB 2.0 cables and haven't had any issues:
U023-003 (3 feet)
U023-006 (6 feet)

Hope others will find this useful.

Rich